Jump to topic:

Fair price

s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2009 3:05:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm building a computer for a local small business and I wanted to get your opinion on how much I should charge for labor.

The custom built computer will cost $600 and an equivalent Dell prebuilt computer would cost $1100. That is a savings of $500. Obviously they want to save some money by coming to me so I can't charge over $500 for labor. I was thinking about doing it one of two ways. I would either charge a flat $250 for labor or my regular $75/hr (estimated 3 hrs).

What do you guys think? A fair price?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2009 3:37:21 PM
Well, coming from the view of the buyer, I would prefer the flat rate over the hourly price, just because it would be so easy for you to stretch the actual time it takes to build from three to six hours. I'm not saying you would do that, but from the viewpoint of a consumer.

$250 is secure money for yourself and a good rate for the customer. Half the price of labour and almost half the cost of parts. I think it is a very good deal.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2009 6:24:24 PM
I'd have to agree with Volkov on this particular matter. Putting computers together isn't something where unexpected things would come up, I imagine, so there's not much need to vary the price according to those things.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.