Structured Query Language

Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 4:04:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Anyone know it?

I'm currently learning it. I'm going to be using it mainly for select statements and maybe some insertion type stuff.

How marketable is it? Right now I'm an HRIS analysis and my boss has said that it's practically required for analysis work. I tend to believe him because of what I've learned to do - crunching data.

Anyone have more insight into this? Anyone else use it? If so, what do you use it for?
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 4:18:12 PM
At 5/28/2012 4:04:58 PM, Meatros wrote:
Anyone know it?

I'm currently learning it. I'm going to be using it mainly for select statements and maybe some insertion type stuff.

How marketable is it? Right now I'm an HRIS analysis and my boss has said that it's practically required for analysis work. I tend to believe him because of what I've learned to do - crunching data.

Anyone have more insight into this? Anyone else use it? If so, what do you use it for?

It's simply indispensable for nearly any programmer who works with persisted (stored) data. I don't know that much about HRIS analysis but, if you want to analyze large amounts of data stored in a database, SQL is the pretty much the only way to do it.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 8:24:42 PM
At 6/3/2012 4:18:12 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 5/28/2012 4:04:58 PM, Meatros wrote:
Anyone know it?

It's simply indispensable for nearly any programmer who works with persisted (stored) data. I don't know that much about HRIS analysis but, if you want to analyze large amounts of data stored in a database, SQL is the pretty much the only way to do it.

This.
The basics of SQL are better easy to grasp too.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2012 10:11:51 AM
Yeah, SQL is important and widely used. Among the many uses, it's embedded in web sites to retrieve data to build pages upon request.