Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

Oracle debate idea

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 11:59:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've been pondering a debate idea, but I'm kind of stuck on how exactly to structure it and what topics to chose.

Consider: "In what year will a commercial lodging facility be built on the top of Mount Everest?" Pro claims 2127. Con then asserts "sooner" or "later." If Con were to assert a date, the logical choices are 2126 or 2128, which amount to sooner or later. Let's assume Con picks "later." Then the resolution is "A commercial lodging facility is more likely to be built before 2127 than after."

A debate could be initiated with that resolution, but seems more fair to let Con pick the before or after. It comes down to who has the more accurate prediction. BTW, "never" is after.

I was also thinking that the debate should have three "oracle events." But maybe one is enough to fill a debate

Probably relatively near-term events would make more interesting debates. So:

1. More than half the personal automobiles in the United States consume no gasoline.
2. Biometric data recognition (face recognition, fingerprints, etc.) replaces identification documents for a majority of purposes.
3. Automatic driving capability an be purchased as a car option for less than $10,000.
4. Computers with AI software are used by a majority of young people for dating advice and career guidance.
5. The majority of personal computers are sold without keyboards.

You get the idea.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
--Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

"This ‘telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."
--Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value.Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
--David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"
--H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 6:18:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/12/2012 6:10:17 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Sounds interesting.

I don't think it'd be that hard to formulate one of these.