Jump to topic:

How to Torrent?

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 7:22:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I understand the basic concept, but which clients are generally malware free, and how would I change the settings of the software so that I wouldn't act as a seed?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 11:43:11 AM
At 7/9/2012 7:22:29 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I understand the basic concept, but which clients are generally malware free, and how would I change the settings of the software so that I wouldn't act as a seed?

I use Pirate Bay and BitTorrent. Pirate Bay to access torrents and BitTorrent is the torrent managing software. They're both easy to use.

Once you have BitTorrent you go to download a torrent and once you load the torrent into BitTorrent you can right click and go down to upload limit and set it for 0kb/s so that you aren't uploading (AKA seeding) anything.

The problem is a lot of people have it set so that if you aren't seeding you'll get really crappy download speeds. I usually seed during download but then stop as soon as it's done.

I never encounter viruses on Pirate Bay. I scan everything just to be safe though. Somethings such as cracks and emulators for games and software will show up as viruses to your virus software but they are false positives.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2012 7:57:23 PM
Utorrent. Much lighter, faster, popular than Bittorrent. thepiratebay.org is good. When handling torrents, have a good antivirus. Some good ones are MSE, Avast, AVG, Kingsoft, etc. You can find the best ones on CNET.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 7:28:18 AM
At 7/15/2012 7:57:23 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Utorrent. Much lighter, faster, popular than Bittorrent. thepiratebay.org is good. When handling torrents, have a good antivirus. Some good ones are MSE, Avast, AVG, Kingsoft, etc. You can find the best ones on CNET.

Doesn't CNET distribute malware?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 7:33:13 AM
uTorrent is hands down one of the best clients.

I've never encountered anything harmful from The Pirate Bay and you probably won't either if you're careful.

kickasstorrents has never failed to disappoint, but it might not have results for the more obscure searches. I will generally go to KAT first and then TPB when looking for one.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 7:35:00 AM
Where can I get textbooks? I've been using filesharing sites, but they shut down library.nu, and the other sites are not as comprehensive or extensive, so it's difficult to find what I need.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:12:09 AM
At 7/16/2012 7:28:18 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

No. WHere did you get that? CNET is the world's most trusted software source. They never let malware in.
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 5:14:15 PM
Scumbags. :p
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 1:27:16 PM
At 7/16/2012 10:12:09 AM, 1dustpelt wrote:
At 7/16/2012 7:28:18 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

No. WHere did you get that? CNET is the world's most trusted software source. They never let malware in.

http://www.networkworld.com...
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 11:57:21 PM

I previously used BitComet, but changed to uTorrent as BitComet was having a weird issue where it would stop my downloads overnight.
uTorrent is awesome.

The trick to torrents is... finding a reputable site to download them from! I used isohunt almost exclusively (with eztv.it and 1337x as my backups). Isohunt has a great community of people giving thumbs up and ratings to the various torrents. If you see a torrent with more than a +2 thumbs up, you can be pretty sure it is virus free. You should still use anti-virus software... Which you can download through torrenting! :D :D
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 10:45:49 PM
At 7/26/2012 11:57:21 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I previously used BitComet, but changed to uTorrent as BitComet was having a weird issue where it would stop my downloads overnight.
uTorrent is awesome.

The trick to torrents is... finding a reputable site to download them from! I used isohunt almost exclusively (with eztv.it and 1337x as my backups). Isohunt has a great community of people giving thumbs up and ratings to the various torrents. If you see a torrent with more than a +2 thumbs up, you can be pretty sure it is virus free. You should still use anti-virus software... Which you can download through torrenting! :D :D

I have Avast! until 2037 thanks to torrenting :P
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 11:11:09 PM
Stealing is the new buying :D!
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 4:40:17 PM
Technically it isn't stealing, because someone gave it to you, so it's more like receiving.
Wall of LOL
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 10:26:03 AM
At 7/30/2012 4:40:17 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:
Technically it isn't stealing, because someone gave it to you, so it's more like receiving.

Exactly.

If I give you a pair of headphones, you didn't steal those headphones from the company.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:45:57 PM
At 7/31/2012 10:26:03 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Exactly.

If I give you a pair of headphones, you didn't steal those headphones from the company.

Bad analogy. With a physical item like Headphones, the original owner can't use them when he gives them away. Piracy creates infinite copies of an item, and is also not stealing, but rather a breach of Copyright.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:55:14 PM
Piracy is utter bullcrap. I hate piracy with all my soul. You are not fvcking entitled to someone's work. Don't give me that BS about how you "wouldn't have bought it anyway". Production of a product takes MONEY and WORK. The people who spent this money and put in the labour should be compensated. There is 0 way around this. I believe companies need to destroy piracy at it's source, as DRM does not work. I support a full lawsuit against sites like Thepiratebay.

http://www.cs.rpi.edu...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 3:17:46 PM
At 7/31/2012 12:55:14 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Piracy is utter bullcrap. I hate piracy with all my soul. You are not fvcking entitled to someone's work. Don't give me that BS about how you "wouldn't have bought it anyway". Production of a product takes MONEY and WORK. The people who spent this money and put in the labour should be compensated. There is 0 way around this. I believe companies need to destroy piracy at it's source, as DRM does not work. I support a full lawsuit against sites like Thepiratebay.

Unfortunately, piracy is here to stay.

Also, due to legal screw ups in Europe ThePiratebay is now untouchable. They cannot be shut down since the site has already been tried. However, the trial didn't manage to shut the site down. They're here to stay.

Besides, digital work is a rip off.

Take Microsoft for example. They developed Word back in the 90s and have spent MINIMAL money and time tweaking it over the years. There is no product to manufacture so each copy is almost PURE profit for barely any work now days. And they try to sell it for $150. So screw you Microsoft. I'll borrow the software from my internet friends.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 4:02:41 PM
At 7/31/2012 3:17:46 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Also, due to legal screw ups in Europe ThePiratebay is now untouchable. They cannot be shut down since the site has already been tried. However, the trial didn't manage to shut the site down. They're here to stay.

Take Microsoft for example. They developed Word back in the 90s and have spent MINIMAL money and time tweaking it over the years. There is no product to manufacture so each copy is almost PURE profit for barely any work now days. And they try to sell it for $150. So screw you Microsoft. I'll borrow the software from my internet friends.

I don't care. You are not entitled to have the product.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 5:22:37 PM
At 7/31/2012 4:02:41 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 7/31/2012 3:17:46 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I don't care. You are not entitled to have the product.

Entitled? No. Of course not. I don't feel entitled to anything, I just know I have alternative ways of getting it.

If someone offered you an apple or you had the choice to go buy one which would you do? You'd take the apple. Why not right? That's not stealing.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 6:02:59 PM
I have the answer to Microsoft Office.

OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Get it free, and you're not stealing from anybody.

I agree, piracy is basically a stupid thing. There are some who discreetly, or unofficially encourage piracy of their products to 'spread the word', but generally speaking it's people thinking they deserve something that they don't want to spend money on.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 8:27:16 PM
At 7/31/2012 12:45:57 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 7/31/2012 10:26:03 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Exactly.

Bad analogy. With a physical item like Headphones, the original owner can't use them when he gives them away. Piracy creates infinite copies of an item, and is also not stealing, but rather a breach of Copyright.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2012 3:08:10 AM

Oh, diddums.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2012 3:54:24 PM
At 7/31/2012 6:02:59 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

they both suck though :(
Wall of LOL
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2012 8:23:57 PM
At 8/2/2012 3:54:24 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Lies
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2012 8:56:13 PM
At 8/2/2012 8:23:57 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Lies

Formatting much worse than MS Office
Wall of LOL
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2012 9:07:34 PM
At 8/2/2012 8:56:13 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Lies

Lies
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 1:23:25 AM
At 8/2/2012 9:07:34 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 8/2/2012 8:56:13 PM, 1dustpelt wrote:

Lies

Lies

I hear LibreOffice has some annoying excuse for a scroll bar.

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with OpenOffice, if you change the defaults a little bit.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 8:55:17 PM
I used it to download my most expensive textbooks. I've saved about $500 so far, and I'll probably end up saving more. Thanks! This was useful.