Jump to topic:

Mac users referred to better hotels

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 4:36:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There was a news item recently that Expedia is detecting when a user is contacting them from a Mac platform. If so, they sort the list of hotels so that more upscale ones are featured.

I'm thinking that unix users are given camping sites.

A few years ago, our local supermarket chain was giving purchase data to the cable TV company (Safeway and Comcast). The cable company had thee different type of commercials that they would insert into local feeds, with the selection based upon what you bought at the supermarket. I gather the method didn't catch on.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 4:38:36 PM
lol, it's b/c they know mac users don't mind paying more for the same thing.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 4:42:29 PM
At 7/9/2012 4:38:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Uh...what?
A more upscale hotel is not the same thing as a...Motel 6.

And a Mac is not the same as PC. Both the premise and application of that are wrong.
But I won't deny that they may be willing to pay more.
Sapere Aude!
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2012 5:42:54 PM
At 7/9/2012 4:42:29 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 7/9/2012 4:38:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Uh...what?
A more upscale hotel is not the same thing as a...Motel 6.

And a Mac is not the same as PC. Both the premise and application of that are wrong.
But I won't deny that they may be willing to pay more.

yeah, yeah, yeah...

Mac people are silly :P
That was the real premise I was getting at.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 2:51:29 PM
Why? just look at the price of Macs- very expensive. Only those willing to pay lots of money would buy Macs, so they would also be willing to pay lots of money to those better hotels.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 2:55:48 PM
Orbitz does the same thing. Basically, it's based upon research that suggests that mac users/owners are willing to A) buy rooms at more expensive hotels and B) buy more expensive rooms at the same hotels.

Going to those sites from a Mac will have the more expensive results filtered to the top. You get the same results as with a PC, they are just ordered differently.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 1:55:23 AM
At 7/9/2012 4:36:42 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

I'm thinking that unix users are given camping sites.

LOL!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 12:45:57 PM
How do the websites know what computer they were accessed on? I'd think the most the sites could know is that they were accessed via Safari or IE or something along those lines.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 2:24:15 PM
At 7/25/2012 12:45:57 PM, lewis20 wrote:
How do the websites know what computer they were accessed on? I'd think the most the sites could know is that they were accessed via Safari or IE or something along those lines.

Part of a browser's identification generally includes the operating system.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 2:28:14 PM
At 7/25/2012 12:45:57 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Magic!

No, like Always said, when you access a web page, a LOT of stuff is going on in the background by way of communicating between computers.

Much of this is contained is what is known as a "User-Agent String" and contains things like: what brand and version of browser you are using, what brand and version of operating system you are using, and other information.

This is the way a web site knows whether or not you are browsing from a desktop or a mobile device and delivers up the appropriate content.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 3:50:11 PM
Macs are more expensive, and the very east more stylish. So it makes sense to target ads that way.

The problem I have with Macs is that when something goes wrong it's very difficult to find the problem and fix it. Most users are doing things like e-mail and Office, so problems are not so likely as they are if many diverse alps are being run. The concept of paying more for quality is sound.

There is reason for transmitting user info like the browser type. Web pages are in html, and theoretically every browser should interpret the html the same way. In practice, browsers sometimes interpret html in different ways. So to make a web page that works on different browsers, you end up testing for what browser is being used and changing the code accordingly. I think this is less of a problem than it used to be because now there are standard test pages that are used to see if the browser is conforming to intended specs.

The users screen size is also sent. When the we started there were a lot of 640 x 480 monitors, and it was dangerous to assume even a 768 page width. Now it's common to just assume 1024 or wider.