Jump to topic:

web 3.0 good or bad

creeping_death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 1:47:17 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
most of us have just learnt that the first generation of web is dead and we are now in web 2.0 where the data is not the centre anymore but the source of that data is more important. web 2.0 is the web where people play a more major role in organising data . "we are the web" is the slogan of web 2.0...which is all great with so many social networking sites, blogs , rss and what not... and and internet has become a useful tool to communicate for the common man...and all...its all great...right?

now, we are moving to a whole new level understanding and making the web understand information and all...you know...basically concepts like ubiquitous computing and web 3.0 would sound real cool and all ... but is it really a good thing? do we really want these things to happen? do you feel that such frameworks are more prone to misuse ... by say the government, or by some guy whos out to get you and all?...

for those who dont know what i m talking about...check out these videos
web 2.0

web 3.0 / semantic web

Ubiquitous Computing

you can read documents about these stuff on wikipedia.org also...just search for the key words in their search bar.

you can find lots of videos on youtube.com and google videos ... about this technology...

this is no issac asimovs science fiction bs i m talking about...i m an intern at CISCO systems and i m seeing this stuff develop first hand...and though its all totally awesome and all...its also kinda scary...

so what do ya guys think of this technologies? are we gonna end up as enlightened species or as slave to the elite and super rich people or slaves to the computers and all? or no matter how advanced and informative and intelligent computer systems becomes...it wont make any difference to the world...its gonna be the same as it was and is...
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 2:16:50 AM
I am not sure how to feel about this.

I didn't watch the first video.
The second one made me like Web 3.0.
The last video reminded me of the last segment of ZeitGeist 1 and the RFID chips.

I will come back again and comment later tomorrow, after I sleep and watch that 8 part series linked in the sidebar of the third video.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 7:32:08 AM
The common science fiction stuff they always talk about. The 2nd video gives a realistic view, whilst the 3rd one overblows it.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
creeping_death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 6:47:24 AM
At 8/30/2009 7:32:08 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The common science fiction stuff they always talk about. The 2nd video gives a realistic view, whilst the 3rd one overblows it.

wow! did you even bother to read what i wrote... do you think that i m some kind of dreamer who is afraid of some bs science fiction stuff that could never happen...pretty soon microcontrollers will be cheaper than dirt... and moores law will no longer hold...so...its pretty much what mr . Michio Kaku says is true... its pretty much whats gonna happen soon...its gonna be a revolution and all...like the Renaissance...except that most ppl wont even know that its happening and probably wont want it either...they will have this technology forced down their throats...they ll have to accept it...get in tune with tech or run away and live in the woods...

if you dont believe me...listen to this guy ... hes the editor-in-chief of "wired magazine"...
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo
creeping_death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2009 8:08:13 AM
hmmm... so i guess you guys are not that keen on keeping up with the latest technological trends and all...

oh well...
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 9:57:22 AM
The semantic web is just hot air. So was Web 2.0, which is just a jargon with no actual content. Web 3.0 is a word used by people who want to seem cooler than the Web 2.0 people. You can outdo them by start talking about Web 4.0 already now. :-)
So prove me wrong, then.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 10:05:22 AM
At 8/31/2009 6:47:24 AM, creeping_death wrote:
At 8/30/2009 7:32:08 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

wow! did you even bother to read what i wrote... do you think that i m some kind of dreamer who is afraid of some bs science fiction stuff that could never happen...pretty soon microcontrollers will be cheaper than dirt... and moores law will no longer hold...so...its pretty much what mr . Michio Kaku says is true... its pretty much whats gonna happen soon...its gonna be a revolution and all...like the Renaissance...except that most ppl wont even know that its happening and probably wont want it either...they will have this technology forced down their throats...they ll have to accept it...get in tune with tech or run away and live in the woods...

if you dont believe me...listen to this guy ... hes the editor-in-chief of "wired magazine"...

Science fiction is what they think will happen. There is no 100% guarantee this will happen.

In the 70's they'd thought we'd have flying cars and giant human-robot wars, aswell as Moon colonies.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
creeping_death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2009 6:47:12 PM
what do ya mean science fiction? and will never happen? i m an intern at CISCO and i see it happening right infront of me...

i find this very insulting...fly cars? i m not taking about flying cars goddammit!!!

all i wanted to do was to know how you all feel about the need for change in the ethics once these things are made commercially available to man....

but obviously you guys obviously know that even the collaborative effort of multinational corporations with CERN and W3C cannot make this happen....

so.....think what you want to think....i have had it here.... as cartman would say "screw you guys i m going home"