Jump to topic:

Possible debate topic concerning AI

Superintendent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 7:21:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I suggest a debate to propose a law that prohibits the Development, creation, distribution, and use of any form of an artificial intelligence now to prepare for the future.
Think about it, it is basically a person inside of a computer that can process and learn new information at a speed that no human would be able to achieve.
This would be to large of a danger to even take a chance to let it be.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 10:56:33 PM
At 8/31/2009 10:10:09 PM, JBlake wrote:
I would gladly accept such a debate as well. Shoot me a challenge anytime and I'll accept.

For me as well.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 11:09:42 PM
I for one welcome our new computer overlords.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2009 1:41:01 AM
At 8/31/2009 11:09:42 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I for one welcome our new computer overlords.

Ditto.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2009 3:58:03 AM
At 8/31/2009 7:21:31 PM, Superintendent wrote:
I suggest a debate to propose a law that prohibits the Development, creation, distribution, and use of any form of an artificial intelligence now to prepare for the future.
Think about it, it is basically a person inside of a computer that can process and learn new information at a speed that no human would be able to achieve.
This would be to large of a danger to even take a chance to let it be.

A friend of mine is a scientist who is developing computers with artificial intelligence. He modelled the prototype on colonies of insects and programmed it to respond to various stimuli in order to prosper and expand. The computer learns from it's mistakes and adjusts it's decision-making process accordingly. In this sense the program can be described as 'organic'.

Cool stuff, I think.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
creeping_death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2009 8:06:22 AM
ai , artificial neural networks is still so primitive that theres absolutely no way that computers can be as smart as us...atleast not for another 5 to 8 years...

the human brain is so incredibly complex that even the most advanced ANN seems like dirt in front of it...

dont underestimate the human brain dude...its totally own any piece of electronic equipment...owns!!! i tell ya...
"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo