Jump to topic:

Opera 10 beta

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 1:20:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Just says Opera Ten here, didn't know it was beta. Main difference seems to be it looks ugly trying to do the whole bubbly look.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Sylux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2009 6:14:47 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think the Wii has it.
I know it's Opera, but I dunno the version.
"Can you see? Do you know?
The string behind you, it's shiny and pretty.
Where is my string.
Give me because I don't know.
Give me your string.
Give me everything."
-grasshoppa
ournamestoolong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2009 5:35:46 PM
At 12/9/2009 11:04:16 AM, omelet wrote:
Enjoy your closed-source AIDS.

IE >Firefox > Chromium/Chrome > Opera > Konqueror > Safari
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 5:59:16 AM
At 12/11/2009 5:35:46 PM, ournamestoolong wrote:
At 12/9/2009 11:04:16 AM, omelet wrote:
Enjoy your closed-source AIDS.

Firefox > Chromium/Chrome > Opera > IE > Konqueror > Safari
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:48:38 PM
I just downloaded Firefox (with IE my whole life) and have a couple questions.

1. How is "Google - Firefox Start" (http://www.google.com...) different than regular Google (http://www.google.com...)?

2. How do I make tabs open to a certain page? Like right now, when I open a new tab the page opens to (Untitled). I would like to change that.

3. How do I put a favorites button on the toolbar, like the star in IE?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 2:55:28 PM
At 12/30/2009 2:48:38 PM, Nags wrote:
1. How is "Google - Firefox Start" (http://www.google.com...) different than regular Google (http://www.google.com...)?

I don't think it is different. Just a specialized page made by Google for Firefox.

2. How do I make tabs open to a certain page? Like right now, when I open a new tab the page opens to (Untitled). I would like to change that.

Well, if you want to open a link in a new tab, you can either:

a) right-click the link, and choose "Open link in new tab"

b) if you have a middle button, or scroll-button, you can click the link with that button, and it'll open the link in a new tab

3. How do I put a favorites button on the toolbar, like the star in IE?

It's essentially drag-and-click. In the "Bookmarks" heading, there is a thing that says "Recently bookmarked," which you can drag onto the toolbar, and it can essentially act as a "favourites."

However, much better than that is the fact that it is also in the address bar itself. You can click the star in the address bar, and that bookmarks it; so every time you want to go to Debate.org, just start typing "debate.org," and it'll automatically pop up as a bookmark.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 3:06:50 PM
At 12/30/2009 2:55:28 PM, Volkov wrote:
I don't think it is different. Just a specialized page made by Google for Firefox.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Would just switching to normal Google change anything?

Well, if you want to open a link in a new tab, you can either:

a) right-click the link, and choose "Open link in new tab"

b) if you have a middle button, or scroll-button, you can click the link with that button, and it'll open the link in a new tab

I know how to do that. I don't know how to make a particular url open when I open a new tab (Ctrl+t).

It's essentially drag-and-click. In the "Bookmarks" heading, there is a thing that says "Recently bookmarked," which you can drag onto the toolbar, and it can essentially act as a "favourites."

That's essentially what I was looking for, thanks.

However, much better than that is the fact that it is also in the address bar itself. You can click the star in the address bar, and that bookmarks it; so every time you want to go to Debate.org, just start typing "debate.org," and it'll automatically pop up as a bookmark.

Yeah, I noticed that. However, when I start to type "pol" looking for POLITICO.com, the thread on DDO titled "Should Napolitano quit?" comes up first. IE had this feature as well.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 3:11:34 PM
At 12/30/2009 3:06:50 PM, Nags wrote:
Yeah, that's what I thought. Would just switching to normal Google change anything?

For all intents and purposes, you're stuck with the Firefox Google. It just automatically brings you directly to it. So, no I don't think it would change anything, but the change might not be possible. xD

I know how to do that. I don't know how to make a particular url open when I open a new tab (Ctrl+t).

Yeah, I noticed that. However, when I start to type "pol" looking for POLITICO.com, the thread on DDO titled "Should Napolitano quit?" comes up first. IE had this feature as well.

Have you been to Politico yet? That might be one reason. xD

From what I can tell, the more you visit the site, the higher up it'll show up. It just takes use, I suppose.

And I know IE had that feature - who do you think they stole it from? :D
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 3:12:27 PM
At 12/30/2009 3:11:34 PM, Volkov:

Oh, I don't know about that either, sorry. Never need to have it happen.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 3:17:14 PM
At 12/30/2009 3:12:27 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/30/2009 3:11:34 PM, Volkov:

Oh, I don't know about that either, sorry. Never need to have it happen.

It's not really a big deal. On IE, I set it so that Google would open when I opened a new tab. Now, just a blank page opens. I'm enjoying Firefox so far though.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 6:07:38 PM
At 12/30/2009 4:34:36 PM, Nags wrote:
Any recommended add-ons?

Ad Blocker Pro
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 6:11:21 PM
It'd f*** with their research about Firefox users.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2009 8:47:04 PM
At 12/30/2009 3:11:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
For all intents and purposes, you're stuck with the Firefox Google. It just automatically brings you directly to it. So, no I don't think it would change anything, but the change might not be possible. xD

I changed it successfully. :)

Have you been to Politico yet? That might be one reason. xD

Well, Politico was in my favorites/bookmarks.

From what I can tell, the more you visit the site, the higher up it'll show up. It just takes use, I suppose.

Good to know, I suppose.

And I know IE had that feature - who do you think they stole it from? :D

Or did Firefox steal it from IE? :P

At 12/30/2009 6:07:38 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Ad Blocker Pro

Great minds think alike. I already have it.

At 12/30/2009 6:11:21 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
It'd f*** with their research about Firefox users.

Too bad, I changed it. Google can steal my identity instead. Firefox Start didn't have the suggested completions and I just didn't like how it looked.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:04:42 AM
Any way to make Firefox start faster? Chrome starts in less than a second. Even IE starts noticeably faster than Firefox.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:10:36 AM
At 12/31/2009 10:04:42 AM, Nags wrote:
Any way to make Firefox start faster? Chrome starts in less than a second. Even IE starts noticeably faster than Firefox.

Really? IE takes much longer than Firefox for me. Odd. Might just be the different systems. But, yes, Firefox is quite the memory hog, and its load time is a little slower than others. Not much to do to get around it.

But, unless you really need the memory, the preloader is your best option: http://sourceforge.net...

It essentially automatically loads the program once you start-up the computer, meaning it'll be running in the background almost the entire time. It hogs memory, but I did this with my old laptop and it seemed to be alright.

Otherwise, you'll just have to deal. I mean, are you in a rush or something?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:11:21 AM
I haven't found a way to improve start-up. I think they're working on that.

Firefox screws with messaging on this site (press enter). Any way to fix that?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:18:24 AM
At 12/31/2009 10:11:21 AM, wjmelements wrote:
I haven't found a way to improve start-up. I think they're working on that.

Firefox screws with messaging on this site (press enter). Any way to fix that?

I've been wondering why it does that as well. I haven't found anyone that can answer why, yet, but there is quite a lot of little bugs with Firefox and JavaScript/HTML programs, so I assume it has something to do with that.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:24:08 AM
At 12/31/2009 10:22:28 AM, Nags wrote:
It feels as though Firefox is slower once I started downloading (8) add-ons. Just me or...?

No, lmao. The more add-ons, the slower it'll get. It's like a heavy bureaucracy - the more you pile on, the slower the process is. :P

Get rid of some of the add-ons, and it should go faster. However, if you don't want to get rid of the add-ons, use the preloader.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:28:11 AM
At 12/31/2009 10:24:08 AM, Volkov wrote:
No, lmao. The more add-ons, the slower it'll get. It's like a heavy bureaucracy - the more you pile on, the slower the process is. :P

Thought so. Chrome is pwning in speed right now, but I like Firefox's add-ons.

Get rid of some of the add-ons, and it should go faster. However, if you don't want to get rid of the add-ons, use the preloader.

I already downloaded the preloader earlier today. I had to uninstall it because Firefox wasn't starting. Wait... was I supposed to restart my whole computer first?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:33:18 AM
At 12/31/2009 10:28:11 AM, Nags wrote:
I already downloaded the preloader earlier today. I had to uninstall it because Firefox wasn't starting. Wait... was I supposed to restart my whole computer first?

Indeed. All programs of that nature require you to restart your computer.

However, when you do it, before you open Firefox, press Ctrl + Alt + Dlt, get the Task Manager up, and click the 'Processes' tab, and look for 'firefox.exe' to pop up. It should fairly quickly, and if it does, before you open Firefox, then the preloader is working.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2009 10:45:24 AM
At 12/31/2009 10:39:04 AM, Nags wrote:
Thanks, that worked. Is it supposed to make the rest of Firefox faster, or just start-up?

Start-up. The preloader, well, pre-loads the process, so you avoid the start-up lag, since its essentially already running. It could maybe cut down on any processes left behind, but nothing noticeable. 'Tis the add-ons that lag it. :P