Jump to topic:

Help... please

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 5:19:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hey all you DDOers. Many of you are tech guys and hackers. And mac rumors.com has given me no solutions.

Situation: Finder wont open, error 10810

Effects: the top ribbon that says your application (*apple logo* Firefox, file, edit, etc.) When not on an application it does not exist. My home screen with many of my applications (where a disc shows up) is blank. The bottom ribbon with application is hidden unless I move my mouse over the area where it should be.

I have restarted my computer at least 4 times, left it off overnight, and logged in/out. Force quited all application(s)... Help me!
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 7:35:02 PM
At 8/21/2012 5:19:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Hey all you DDOers. Many of you are tech guys and hackers. And mac rumors.com has given me no solutions.

Effects: the top ribbon that says your application (*apple logo* Firefox, file, edit, etc.) When not on an application it does not exist. My home screen with many of my applications (where a disc shows up) is blank. The bottom ribbon with application is hidden unless I move my mouse over the area where it should be.

I have restarted my computer at least 4 times, left it off overnight, and logged in/out. Force quited all application(s)... Help me!

I don't really have an answer to your question and I'd suggest you get an apple 'genius' to take a look at it at the Apple store.. But I'm just curious if the bolded implies that you usually just keep your mac on all night?
Debate.org Moderator
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 7:40:00 PM
At 8/21/2012 7:35:02 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I don't really have an answer to your question and I'd suggest you get an apple 'genius' to take a look at it at the Apple store.. But I'm just curious if the bolded implies that you usually just keep your mac on all night?

Generally on sleep. I have had it since 2003 and it was fine. Now its all... dead.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 7:47:03 PM
At 8/21/2012 7:40:00 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Generally on sleep. I have had it since 2003 and it was fine. Now its all... dead.

Your mac is 9 years old and you don't turn it off at night?!

I hate to say this, but it might be time to take old yeller out to the backyard and put him out of his misery...

You should be happy it lasted that long (although I still have a 2001 Ibook that works but is using pre OS 10.. I love OS 9.1, so I'll keep that laptop forever!) but it's probably time for you to buy a new computer...

I'd suggest going to the Apple store.. maybe you can get a few more miles out of it.. But it's def. near the end of its life.
Debate.org Moderator
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 8:06:43 PM
At 8/21/2012 7:47:03 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I hate to say this, but it might be time to take old yeller out to the backyard and put him out of his misery...

You should be happy it lasted that long (although I still have a 2001 Ibook that works but is using pre OS 10.. I love OS 9.1, so I'll keep that laptop forever!) but it's probably time for you to buy a new computer...

I'd suggest going to the Apple store.. maybe you can get a few more miles out of it.. But it's def. near the end of its life.

Yeah lol. My dads Mac laptop lasted forever too. He was about to end it but it fixed itself.

My family doesn't have the money right now. My dad started his own doctors practice. The things I need for school and DDO work, which is all that matters. If that fails, though, I will axe it.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2012 8:53:04 PM
At 8/21/2012 8:06:43 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 8/21/2012 7:47:03 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Yeah lol. My dads Mac laptop lasted forever too. He was about to end it but it fixed itself.

My family doesn't have the money right now. My dad started his own doctors practice. The things I need for school and DDO work, which is all that matters. If that fails, though, I will axe it.

Don't hurt it, it might not be a hardware issue. Put a linux distro on a USB stick and see if everything works properly in a different OS.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 6:12:18 PM
"Your mac is 9 years old and you don't turn it off at night?!" Is this a bad thing?

@ OP
Look for a local tech repair shop or Apple store.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 7:05:58 PM
At 8/22/2012 6:12:18 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
"Your mac is 9 years old and you don't turn it off at night?!" Is this a bad thing?

@ OP
Look for a local tech repair shop or Apple store.

I will, however my parents would think I broke it... So I will report it right after my sister uses it haha
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 7:20:56 PM
I figured how to fix it but how do I get to terminal?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 7:34:08 PM
I fixed it

I just made another admin account
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2012 7:50:32 PM

It's very bad for the battery. It will extend the life of the computer if it is occasionally turned off.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2012 2:53:01 PM
At 8/22/2012 7:50:32 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

It's very bad for the battery. It will extend the life of the computer if it is occasionally turned off.

But will it harm the actual computer? I don't care about the battery.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Oldfrith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 10:53:16 PM
First thought after reading op:
Dang he's screwed.

Second:
I wonder what distro of Linux would be best...
You know how people, when they don't know the meaning of a word, automatically think it's appropriate?
Well, How about this one:
Schloop-Schloop-Ping-a-Pang-bong
Which means:
To play a vigorous game of monopoly
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2012 3:41:53 PM
Leaving it on all night is bad. Turn if off.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.