Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Arguing on Facebook

Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 1:27:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
is not as fun as DDO.

I'm sure threads about this have already been made, but when you're arguing with people who are not used to debating with arguments, etc., they just skip rebuttals and go straight to personal attacks.

So, yeah.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 4:31:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Definitely not as fun. They don't realize that you are debating because they presented something very controversial. And then they get on to you for it.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 6:53:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/23/2012 4:31:11 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Definitely not as fun. They don't realize that you are debating because they presented something very controversial. And then they get on to you for it.

The guy I'm debating with just tried to solve the mind-body problem with a Wikipedia article on "Brain."
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:11:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/23/2012 6:53:11 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 10/23/2012 4:31:11 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Definitely not as fun. They don't realize that you are debating because they presented something very controversial. And then they get on to you for it.

The guy I'm debating with just tried to solve the mind-body problem with a Wikipedia article on "Brain."

lol

Yeah, arguing on Facebook tends not to work out too well.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:13:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You're doing it wrong. Facebook isn't about arguing, it's about hooking up with old high school crushes.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:16:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/24/2012 1:11:53 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 10/23/2012 6:53:11 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 10/23/2012 4:31:11 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Definitely not as fun. They don't realize that you are debating because they presented something very controversial. And then they get on to you for it.

The guy I'm debating with just tried to solve the mind-body problem with a Wikipedia article on "Brain."

lol

Yeah, arguing on Facebook tends not to work out too well.

Haha, tell me about it. I typed out an eight-paragraph response for like an hour, and he came back in a minute with two sentences. It made me want to scream.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:17:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/24/2012 1:13:50 AM, Maikuru wrote:
You're doing it wrong. Facebook isn't about arguing, it's about hooking up with old high school crushes.

That's true... DDO is a better place to argue anyway.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:25:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Stop this nonsense. Youre scared to speak the truth on the biggest social medium? I speak my mind all the time. If I see a political post I disagree with, I contest it. I myself post many "provacative" FB statuses and that's good. I'm exposing people to a perspective they never hear. It sparks a conversation that needs to be had.

Enough with the over-saturation of posts about mundane tasks, celebrity gossip, your gym workout routine, your dinner. Sometimes those posts are fine, but you have am opportunity to let your voice be heard to a large audience, and that's how you choose to express yourself? Pathetic.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:26:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/24/2012 1:25:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Stop this nonsense. Youre scared to speak the truth on the biggest social medium? I speak my mind all the time. If I see a political post I disagree with, I contest it. I myself post many "provacative" FB statuses and that's good. I'm exposing people to a perspective they never hear. It sparks a conversation that needs to be had.

Enough with the over-saturation of posts about mundane tasks, celebrity gossip, your gym workout routine, your dinner. Sometimes those posts are fine, but you have am opportunity to let your voice be heard to a large audience, and that's how you choose to express yourself? Pathetic.

I argue all the time on Facebook. This thread is about how it often leads to frustration, at least relative to DDO.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:32:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hmm, well I guess I've never had that problem.

But I tend to assess who I'm talking to and what the best appropriate way to engage that person in a way that's not counterproductive.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:35:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/24/2012 1:32:55 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Hmm, well I guess I've never had that problem.

But I tend to assess who I'm talking to and what the best appropriate way to engage that person in a way that's not counterproductive.

I understand. In this case I was arguing on a public Facebook page, so I had no idea whether or not my opponent would actually intellectually engage me rather than simply ignore everything I wrote.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:37:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You would think a public page would make your opponent more accountable for his responses.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:41:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/24/2012 1:37:51 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
You would think a public page would make your opponent more accountable for his responses.

Yeah, I would think he'd put a lot of effort into it so that he at least looks like he's making a convincing argument...
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:44:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/24/2012 1:41:13 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 10/24/2012 1:37:51 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
You would think a public page would make your opponent more accountable for his responses.

Yeah, I would think he'd put a lot of effort into it so that he at least looks like he's making a convincing argument...

From his perspective, he's done just that.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 1:48:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/24/2012 1:44:17 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 10/24/2012 1:41:13 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
At 10/24/2012 1:37:51 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
You would think a public page would make your opponent more accountable for his responses.

Yeah, I would think he'd put a lot of effort into it so that he at least looks like he's making a convincing argument...

From his perspective, he's done just that.

This is true, but I don't see how offering a two sentence rebuttal to eight paragraphs could be convincing to anyone. :P

Besides, this thread was meant for me to vent, since I was frustrated at the lack of actual discourse in my "debate" with him.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 4:43:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not fun. You present argument, they start cussing and insulting you, and get all their friends to block and report you.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 9:22:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For whatever reason, I usually have a good experience while arguing on facebook. I usually don't see people resorting to personal attacks, and they usually put in quite a bit of effort. However, most people I've argued with on facebook aren't very good at arguing compared to people on DDO.
Clash
Posts: 220
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 10:41:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/23/2012 1:27:02 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
is not as fun as DDO.

I'm sure threads about this have already been made, but when you're arguing with people who are not used to debating with arguments, etc., they just skip rebuttals and go straight to personal attacks.

So, yeah.

Nur-Ab-Sal

I completely agree with you, although I don't use FB anymore. I usually don't like to argue with people very much, especially in places besides DDO. However, if I do, then I expect them to argue with intellect and not use ad hominems. If they don't, then I mostly just ignore them and stop answering them. There is no point in talking with people who ignore much of what you are saying, attack you personally, and just keep talking nonsense.