Jump to topic:

Best Laptop - Windows or Mac

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 4:55:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The first question in assessing the "best laptops" is to identify the best operating system... Windows or Mac?

I had Windows-based laptops my entire life, and just recently switched to a Macbook. I still have a lot of learning to do, as the usability aspect is much more complicated in comparison to Windows.

If you prefer Windows over Mac, what laptop do you think is the best?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 5:07:40 PM
My Toshiba Qosmio x505 is pretty good.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 5:16:43 PM
My 2007 Mac is better then my mothers 2012 Windows.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 5:29:24 PM
At 10/24/2012 5:16:43 PM, 16kadams wrote:
My 2007 Mac is better then my mothers 2012 Windows.

It's the hardware that matters...
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2012 5:58:18 PM
Mac Os X is the worst.
Just the other day the OS updated and the one of the drivers didn't update properly, being a Mac you can't go in and update or fix the individual driver so I was SOL for a presentation I had.
Trying to do anything on a Mac is a royal pain.

I dual boot my home comp with Linux and Windows 7 and do work on a Macbook. Linux Mint is pretty awesome.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 4:41:06 PM
The new Windows 8 is really awesome. It's personal preference really, but I would prefer Windows. What really matters, is the hardware, because you can just install new hardware whenever you like.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
jmr354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2012 10:09:15 AM
I think they are both good but Windows definitely has more perks than mac. With Macs if something goes wrong you can't get into the computers inner workings to fix it yourself. Granted if you don't know what your doing, don't try an fix it take it to a pro. With a Mac if something goes wrong you have to take it to an Apple store and have them fix it. This costs a lot of money and usually you pay all that money for a very simple problem with the hardware. In all other computers you can take them apart and fix them yourself, you still have to pay for the parts needed to fix it but that will be much cheaper than paying to have it fixed by a professional.
Why are you reading this? It's not like it's important or anything.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 4:30:57 AM
Macs offer NO advantage to Windows unless you like the GUI.
Yes, you can run Windows on a mac. But why? Why not just buy a PC???
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2012 6:17:35 PM
At 11/13/2012 4:30:57 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Macs offer NO advantage to Windows unless you like the GUI.
Yes, you can run Windows on a mac. But why? Why not just buy a PC???

+1
Wall of LOL
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 11:17:53 AM
Windows is much better. The only reason that Macs never had viruses until two or three years ago is that they only recently hit over 25% of the market share, meaning that the hackers had no incentive to create viruses for Macs. I recently had heat problems with my laptop, and someone helped me take it apart for free to fix the problem (dust). If I had been using a Mac, I would had paid $300 for the same service.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 2:08:06 AM
At 11/26/2012 11:17:53 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Windows is much better.
On Mac, you can use both Windows and Mac OS.

The only reason that Macs never had viruses until two or three years ago is that they only recently hit over 25% of the market share,
Eh, yes it is due to low market share, but it hasn't hit 25%. Not sure where you pulled that from.

meaning that the hackers had no incentive to create viruses for Macs. I recently had heat problems with my laptop, and someone helped me take it apart for free to fix the problem (dust). If I had been using a Mac, I would had paid $300 for the same service.
Uh, unless you watched a free tutorial and did it yourself.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 2:28:38 AM
At 11/27/2012 2:08:06 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/26/2012 11:17:53 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Windows is much better.
On Mac, you can use both Windows and Mac OS.
What's the point? There is nothing Mac can do that Windows can't. Why run Windows on a Mac when you can just get a windows PC for less money?
The only reason that Macs never had viruses until two or three years ago is that they only recently hit over 25% of the market share,
Eh, yes it is due to low market share, but it hasn't hit 25%. Not sure where you pulled that from.

meaning that the hackers had no incentive to create viruses for Macs. I recently had heat problems with my laptop, and someone helped me take it apart for free to fix the problem (dust). If I had been using a Mac, I would had paid $300 for the same service.
Uh, unless you watched a free tutorial and did it yourself.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 2:34:40 AM
At 11/27/2012 2:28:38 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
What's the point? There is nothing Mac can do that Windows can't. Why run Windows on a Mac when you can just get a windows PC for less money?
Windows is software. Nothing else. You don't get the same screen quality with a Windows laptop as with a MacBook. There's a reason why software giants use Macs to make videos, music, photo editing, etc. http://www.smashingmagazine.com...

You can't compare the average Windows laptop to a MacBook. The latter has best hadware/software integration. Developers make sure that it isn't just random hardware stuffed up to make the software run.
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 1:09:17 PM
At 11/27/2012 2:34:40 AM, Mirza wrote:
Windows is software. Nothing else. You don't get the same screen quality with a Windows laptop as with a MacBook. There's a reason why software giants use Macs to make videos, music, photo editing, etc. http://www.smashingmagazine.com...

You can't compare the average Windows laptop to a MacBook. The latter has best hadware/software integration. Developers make sure that it isn't just random hardware stuffed up to make the software run.

Windows is designed so far as is feasible to be independent of the hardware it runs on. The OS was designed and written from scratch for the modern marketplace and is technically superb. Apple have never designed or developed an operating system, they use yet another variation of Unix, which itself was never designed but hacked, extended and tweaked year by year since the 60s.

Apple blew a major opportunity to modify their OS back in the 90s so that it too could run on diverse hardware but they didn't do so and this means that anyone invested in the Apple OS must forever use Apple hardware.

I cannot find the tech specs for the OS that tell me anything about the internals or limitations, but we can for Windows:

Max physical memory size: 512 GB Desktop, 4,000 GB Server.
Maximum supported cores: over 512
64-bit address space size: 8,000 GB

The OS can install on a truly massive variety of hardware and the device driver model is excellent - decoupling the OS from device specifics.

As for laptops what exactly is so wonderful about a Mac Book? yes the highest spec model boasts a 15" display with 2880x1800 resolution, but Samsung offer a Windows 8 laptop that offers 2560x1440 and is only 13" - the 13" Mac Book has the same res in fact.

Apple have always obsessed over appearance in my opinion - Job's always had a lot to say about "design" but he was interested only in appearance and outward design, the intricate design issues involved in an operating system didn't concern him and has been neglected as a result.

As for its popularity in the graphics arena this is largely historic and stems from a time when Windows was not pushing into that market, but it is wrong to somehow conclude that Apple offer anything spectacular here these days. A powerful Windows desktop with a 2560x600 monitor is a superb platform and one only has to do a bit of Google searching to see what some people are doing with Windows and graphics - Direct3D is another advanced technology developed by Microsoft whereas Apple have - once again - taken an older technology that they did not develop namely Open GL.

Harry.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 8:32:05 PM

Windows is just software. Precisely. That is why you get a computer to fit your needs. Mac does not have that many options, since just Apple controled hardware.

"You don't get the same screen quality with a Windows laptop as with a MacBook."

Yeah you do, if you buy one with good screen quality.

Windows computer with same specs as Mac costs so much less.
Wall of LOL
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 1:58:24 AM

You realize that Macs take up so little of the market that you can't compare them by averages, right?
Say I don't need an SSD and a high-Rez screen. Say I just want to run Word. Boom! You got a low-end Windows PC. Say you want a six-core dual Gtx 680 rig with three monitors. Boom! High end Windows PC.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:03:56 AM
I just prefer the feel of Macs as compared to Windows... it's less cluttered with user-friendly nonsense, in my opinion.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 3:07:03 PM
At 11/29/2012 2:03:56 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
I just prefer the feel of Macs as compared to Windows... it's less cluttered with user-friendly nonsense, in my opinion.

You would love Windows 8.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 3:45:19 PM
Windows all the way. I don't hate iOS, though. Once you get used to it, it's just fine, but it was a hell trying to understand it at first. Been used to windows since I was born, so the preference stays. Besides, Windows is better for games.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 4:09:17 PM
At 11/29/2012 3:07:03 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 11/29/2012 2:03:56 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

You would love Windows 8.

Granted you're not being sarcastic, if Windows 8 is free of ridiculous user-friendly features, I'd probably like it. But I already use a Mac, so there'd be no reason for me to switch.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.