Jump to topic:

Mac laptops

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 12:34:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What's the best Mac laptop out there today?

Why are the newer laptops all called Macbook Pro?

Does the number represent the size, version, special features or anything else?

Also, Macbook Air's kinda suck because they don't have disc drives, but the trade off is that they're supposed to be very light (big deal). Am I missing some other benefit of the Air?

Why are Mac laptops (or Macs in general) considered superior to PCs? Please, no debate... just the alleged added benefits lol as in things that only the Macs have or special features besides being harder to hack and get viruses.

Do new Mac laptops come with Microsoft Office, or do you have to buy it separately? Is it a b!tch when trying to e-mail people with PCs who have a different version of Office? (Some friends say they've had trouble with this because they have to convert something or other...)

Clearly I know nothing about Macs. Enlighten me.
President of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 1:00:31 AM
At 12/26/2012 12:34:13 AM, Danielle wrote:
What's the best Mac laptop out there today?

Why are the newer laptops all called Macbook Pro?

Does the number represent the size, version, special features or anything else?

Also, Macbook Air's kinda suck because they don't have disc drives, but the trade off is that they're supposed to be very light (big deal). Am I missing some other benefit of the Air?

Why are Mac laptops (or Macs in general) considered superior to PCs? Please, no debate... just the alleged added benefits lol as in things that only the Macs have or special features besides being harder to hack and get viruses.

Do new Mac laptops come with Microsoft Office, or do you have to buy it separately? Is it a b!tch when trying to e-mail people with PCs who have a different version of Office? (Some friends say they've had trouble with this because they have to convert something or other...)

Clearly I know nothing about Macs. Enlighten me.

I've had Macbooks for the past five years or so. Been through three Macbook Pro's. The old ones (before they preloaded them with 4 gigs of DDR3 ram) were alright. They don't have the specs of the new windows laptops, but they run better imo. Macs OS requires a lot less, and they do everything I need. They're also pretty, which counts a lot for me.

I've used the ones with the new retina display, but I think that the difference is pretty subtle unless you REALLY know a lot about computers -which I don't.

The one thing I love about Macbooks though is that all the software you need, either comes preinstalled or is relatively cheap to get through the app store. No need to buy disks or fumble with trial software. But Microsoft Office isn't cheap if you need it. I had it on my old macbook pro, but not on this one. I just don't need it.

For work, we all use Macs too which is nice.

I don't have an Ipad yet (haven't had the urge to buy one), but syncing my iphone with my macbook via iCloud is awesome. Everything is there in one place, accessible anywhere, on almost anything. It's incredibly convenient.

But that said, Windows are a lot better than they used to be. XP was the last Windows operating system I regularly used though.

And as far as service goes, it's awesome so long as you have apple care. Without apple care service/replacements can be rough. The first pro I had developed a screen problem (two generations ago). Didn't have apple care, so I had to get a new one -and I love it.

The mac v. pc debate is a personal thing, I think. Not unlike the coke v. pepsi debate. Mac's are great for a lot of things, but based on what my friends tell me if you are really into programming or trying to run a server PCs are better. On that though, I have no idea. The Air i'm not a big fan of though. Pro is better, in my view.

I haven't hear of difficulty using old microsoft files on Macs though, so long as you have the required software. Converting them to the Mac equivalent though is irritating. Better to just run Windows apps on the mac, I would think.
Tsar of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:05:30 AM
Do you know which Version of Pro is the newest or "best?" Just curious. And is every Mac laptop now a Pro? Thanks for your help!
President of DDO
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:13:07 AM
Macs aren't inherently harder to hack or more immune to viruses, there just aren't a lot of virus' made for macs.
I think disk drives are on the way out, laptops are going to continue to shrink and all content is moving towards digital download.
For sending docs with office there shouldn't be any problems at all.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:17:17 AM
At 12/26/2012 9:05:30 AM, Danielle wrote:
Do you know which Version of Pro is the newest or "best?" Just curious. And is every Mac laptop now a Pro? Thanks for your help!

there's just pro and air now which you can customize specs and screen size, I think even macbooks lack disk drives now.

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 12:07:02 PM
Basically I got a Macbook Pro 13 for Christmas. I can trade it in and upgrade if I wanted to, but I did (a minor) online search and it seems that only the "Retina" version is better - and a lot more expensive. It's about $1,000 more. I'm not looking to upgrade THAT much. Basically, if I'm going to be spending over $1,000 on a laptop, I want to make sure that it's a good one and the best I can get for my money. So far it looks like I'm keeping the one I have-- I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips. The Air gets better reviews and seems more convenient (not to mention I hate Mac laptop keyboards and their overall feel, but I'm hoping I get used to it :/ ), but I don't think I could handle not having a disc drive. I use my laptop to watch DVDs sometimes and I make CDs relatively frequently. The external CD rom drive seems kinda annoying. I guess the 13 it is.
President of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 4:55:53 PM
At 12/26/2012 9:05:30 AM, Danielle wrote:

I have the 13-inch Pro with these specs:

2.9GHz
2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Built-in battery (7 hours)2

All in all it's a damn good laptop. My only issue is the battery life (I wish it were longer). That said, I think I would have been fine with the 13in 2.5 GHz laptop in retrospect.

I don't have the retina display and I don't see what the big deal about it is. Friends I know have it and tell me it's better, but I can't personally tell the difference. What I can tell the difference in is the 500 USD price difference. Not worth it, imo.

A lot of the students I work with use the 13 in pro too, and a few who have had the 15 in wish they had the 13 in. The 15 in is just too big. It's also more expensive.

I had a colleague two years ago that used a macbook air, and it seemed fine, but I think he could have been better off with an iPad. There's not much an Air can do that an iPad can't.

It might be good to just go to the apple store (there are several across NYC, I think) and browse around. Familiarize yourself with the specs you need and then just play with the hardware in the store. Sometimes the people that work there are useful, and sometimes they are annoying. Just be sure to buy your mac -if you get one- at the apple store. Apple Care is better than the warranty that somewhere like bestbuy will offer, it covers more things, and is a hell of a lot cheaper (or at least that was the case when I bought my most recent macbook pro).
Tsar of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 5:12:39 PM
Thanks, YYW. The laptop was a gift so I have no idea if they got Apple Care or not (I can ask I guess...). My dad sent my cousin to the store to get it for me, and they picked out the 13. I was just wondering if there were a better one for around the same price or within ~200 more. It sounds like the Pro 13 will be just fine. I don't do anything crazy with my laptop-- just browse the web, use Office, and download movies and music which I'm hoping will be easier/safer with the Mac. I didn't open it yet just in case I wanted to get a new one. I think going to the store myself might be a good idea, and I'll probably leave the computer in the box until tomorrow just to be sure ;) Thanks again.
President of DDO
DoctorDeku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 5:19:36 PM
At the risk of being crucified for saying this, Macs are pretty overrated. After iPod made it as the number one mp3 player, people's interest in mac began to pique. After the iPhone established itself, interest in apple in general skyrocketed.

Apple is notorious about inflating their prices, this infograph ( http://cdn.thenextweb.com... ) is a little outdated, but it makes the point pretty well.

If you're interested in knowing more about macbooks because of your new computer, suffice to say to say what you've got is fine. When you're ready to get a new computer I would suggest going with something like ASUS and using the left-over cash to have someone add whatever else you want to it.

Also any program you want, you can find a pretty good freeware equivalent on windows; open office is a great alternative to Microsoft Office.

If you want to know more PM me, I'll probably forget about posting to this thread soon enough.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 11:31:00 AM
At 12/26/2012 5:19:36 PM, DoctorDeku wrote:
At the risk of being crucified for saying this, Macs are pretty overrated. After iPod made it as the number one mp3 player, people's interest in mac began to pique. After the iPhone established itself, interest in apple in general skyrocketed.

Apple is notorious about inflating their prices, this infograph ( http://cdn.thenextweb.com... ) is a little outdated, but it makes the point pretty well.

If you're interested in knowing more about macbooks because of your new computer, suffice to say to say what you've got is fine. When you're ready to get a new computer I would suggest going with something like ASUS and using the left-over cash to have someone add whatever else you want to it.

Also any program you want, you can find a pretty good freeware equivalent on windows; open office is a great alternative to Microsoft Office.

openoffice has been discontid. use libreoffice

If you want to know more PM me, I'll probably forget about posting to this thread soon enough.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 12:49:06 PM
Do you need a laptop?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 8:54:35 PM
Trade it in and get a Dell.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 8:27:48 AM
At 12/29/2012 8:54:35 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Then trade the Dell in for a Gateway

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 10:15:28 AM
At 12/30/2012 8:27:48 AM, lewis20 wrote:

Then trade the Gateway in for cash.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 10:53:21 AM
At 12/30/2012 10:15:28 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Trade Cash in for a Mac
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 7:10:17 AM
At 12/30/2012 10:53:21 AM, Chicken wrote:
At 12/30/2012 10:15:28 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

Trade Cash in for a Mac

Then trade the Mac in for a Dell.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 3:21:23 PM
At 12/26/2012 5:19:36 PM, DoctorDeku wrote:

If you want to pay thousands of dollars for a laptop, get something that performs. Alienware for the win!!!!
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush