Jump to topic:

Airport Scanners

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 7:34:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The government is replacing the "naked body" scanners with new ones that show a cartoon-style body outline. Suspicious items show up as square of various sizes on the outline, so that TSA agents can then check those areas with a manual pat down. The display is visible to people who have gone through the scanner.

I watched the process for a while. A person carrying nothing would produce roughly six or eight false positives. The result is that virtually every person going through the scanner was patted down.

I suppose that there may be some efficiency gained by using the scanners. For example, if there are no hits below the knees, then the agent doesn't need to pat down that area. Nonetheless, it's unimpressive technology.

Incidentally, the radiation from the scanner is negligible. Passengers get a hundred times more radiation from the high altitude flight.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 7:38:35 AM
I never go through the scanners and always opt for a standard pat-down in a separate room instead. I'm sorry, but having naked body scanners is just disgusting. They should never had put them in airports in the first place.

I don't really care about the radiation issue too much, so if these scanners aren't naked body scanners, I might opt in. When are the other ones being phased out?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 10:06:43 AM
I heard they were doing away with the scanners, didn't know they were just replacing them with something different.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 8:20:20 PM
At 1/25/2013 7:38:35 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I never go through the scanners and always opt for a standard pat-down in a separate room instead. I'm sorry, but having naked body scanners is just disgusting. They should never had put them in airports in the first place.
Why do you think that? Do you really think that they were implemented for sexual reasons?
I don't really care about the radiation issue too much, so if these scanners aren't naked body scanners, I might opt in. When are the other ones being phased out?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 8:34:03 PM
At 1/25/2013 10:06:43 AM, lewis20 wrote:
I heard they were doing away with the scanners, didn't know they were just replacing them with something different.

Not replacing. Both scanners are (were) already in place. They're getting rid of the one, because the company couldn't comply with TSA requests to make the scan results more "private" (less revealing).
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 7:28:11 AM
At 1/25/2013 8:20:20 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
Why do you think that? Do you really think that they were implemented for sexual reasons?
It doesn't matter what the intent was. I'm uncomfortable going through a scanner that takes pictures of my body. It has a bad effect even if it wasn't the intent. That's like saying I should be willing to be patted down by a male TSA officer and allow him to touch me in areas that I don't want to be touched in because the intent of the pat down isn't sexual.

It can also be abused for any number of purposes.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 8:38:48 AM
At 1/26/2013 7:28:11 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
It doesn't matter what the intent was. I'm uncomfortable going through a scanner that takes pictures of my body. It has a bad effect even if it wasn't the intent. That's like saying I should be willing to be patted down by a male TSA officer and allow him to touch me in areas that I don't want to be touched in because the intent of the pat down isn't sexual.
Fair enough.

#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 1:22:40 PM

You realize that no one forces you to fly right?
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 1:24:46 PM
They need to let separate, racist/sexist/etc. airlines exist who only scan people that might be terrorists.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 4:07:29 PM
Also, is Chertoff group making bank on these new scanners? While Former Secretary of Homeland security chertoff goes on a nationwide fear mongering campaign to lobby for said machines?

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 4:31:19 PM
At 1/26/2013 1:22:40 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

You realize that no one forces you to fly right?

And nobody is forcing the government and the airplane company to accept my payment either. There's no reason that I should not be allowed to negotiate terms. Why is only one party allowed to dictate in a business transaction? Both sides are allowed to bargain.

Also, why should I not take the less invasive, alternative option if it is available to people who want to opt out? That's like saying I'm a bad person for buying something that's cheaper.