Jump to topic:

Visual Basic

FredTheGuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 10:18:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am a huge fan of computers and technology in general. About a year ago I got interested in web development and ever since I have dabbled in numerous languages and markups across the web and computers. Some of these mostly include HTML, CSS, Java script, AJAX, PHP, MySQL but I have played around with C++, C# and I am just starting with Java... These all seem fair and useful languages in their own aspect. Unfortunately I took a class using Visual Basic... It was the first and only (to date) language I truly hate with a passion... It seems like complete trash to me and I believe it should be saved a special spot in Hell.

Is it only me or does anyone else feel the same way about VB or maybe any other languages?
Do you like to laugh? Well check out my website I recently made and let me know your thoughts :)
http://www.laughbox.me...
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 8:03:26 PM
At 2/6/2013 10:18:13 PM, FredTheGuy wrote:
I am a huge fan of computers and technology in general. About a year ago I got interested in web development and ever since I have dabbled in numerous languages and markups across the web and computers. Some of these mostly include HTML, CSS, Java script, AJAX, PHP, MySQL but I have played around with C++, C# and I am just starting with Java... These all seem fair and useful languages in their own aspect. Unfortunately I took a class using Visual Basic... It was the first and only (to date) language I truly hate with a passion... It seems like complete trash to me and I believe it should be saved a special spot in Hell.

Is it only me or does anyone else feel the same way about VB or maybe any other languages?

I actually have an ap java textbook for sale if you want it (pm me if you are interested). But I love computer programming.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 8:05:45 PM
At 2/7/2013 8:05:11 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I use VB.net. Stop being mean to it!

I don't hate it, but there are "better" languages.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 8:12:27 PM
At 2/7/2013 8:08:37 PM, drafterman wrote:
How cute. Try brainfuck and then tell me what language you hate the most.
Why would you do that to yourself?

FredTheGuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 10:37:29 PM
At 2/7/2013 8:08:37 PM, drafterman wrote:
How cute. Try brainfuck and then tell me what language you hate the most.

What? I am confused... I believe you successfully 'brainfucked' me :)
Do you like to laugh? Well check out my website I recently made and let me know your thoughts :)
FredTheGuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 10:38:34 PM

What do you use it for, if I may ask?
I know what you can do with it... but more specific examples if you don't mind.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 2:13:43 AM
At 2/7/2013 10:38:34 PM, FredTheGuy wrote:

What do you use it for, if I may ask?
I know what you can do with it... but more specific examples if you don't mind.

I use it for regular and web applications.
There was this point 3 years where I need a programming language that I could use to design web applications. I was more familiar with vb than c, so I chose VB.net over C#. I've never had any issues trying to get anything to work (any more than a mug programmer would have with any language anyway).

If I was going to really sit down and master a language, it would obviously be python.
FredTheGuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:51:31 AM
I guess that is valid but I just found it to be almost to simple and the syntax was much different compared to other languages. Most languages seem to follow a similar structure but VB seemed it just decided to be non-conformist...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 9:29:55 PM
Malboge. Nuf said.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 7:46:23 AM
At 2/8/2013 6:51:31 AM, FredTheGuy wrote:
I guess that is valid but I just found it to be almost to simple and the syntax was much different compared to other languages. Most languages seem to follow a similar structure but VB seemed it just decided to be non-conformist...

Yeah, most languages are C-like. However, there are some notable exceptions, like Python.

VB6 (pre-DotNet) was my first language (actually Basic was, but I was more serious with VB6). I think most people will continue to like their first language to a large degree.

I sort of like all computer languages. The only time I've really hated a language was when I worked with ABAP, which I take to be similar to Cobol (I've never used Cobol). I can tell you, ABAP is in its own catagory of horribleness. If commercial computer programming was done in ABAP-like languages, I would simply change my career.

I will say I'm not a huge fan of XML-encoded languages like JSP, Cold Fusion or XSLT. Those are for schmucks.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 5:21:51 PM
Yes, I started with Visual Basic, and I regret it. I wish I chose something else.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.