Jump to topic:

A Video About Futrue Car Designs

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 5:49:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
To be honest, the cars of the future they show in this video are completely useless to me. If I can't carry 1500 pounds and fit a 4x8 piece of drywall or plywood in it, it is pretty much a useless POS to me. The cars shown are great, if your job is sitting at a desk all day and have no hobbies or interests that involve the use of materials or hauling gear around. Good for a few bad for many, They won't sell to the average Joe anymore than the cutting edge state of the art Chevy volt did. The cars of the future will be what govt bureaucrats think we should drive. Not what we need or want to drive.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 5:14:40 AM
At 2/15/2013 5:49:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
To be honest, the cars of the future they show in this video are completely useless to me. If I can't carry 1500 pounds and fit a 4x8 piece of drywall or plywood in it, it is pretty much a useless POS to me. The cars shown are great, if your job is sitting at a desk all day and have no hobbies or interests that involve the use of materials or hauling gear around. Good for a few bad for many, They won't sell to the average Joe anymore than the cutting edge state of the art Chevy volt did. The cars of the future will be what govt bureaucrats think we should drive. Not what we need or want to drive.

I agree with everything you say. I don't see any reason to assume there won't be any electric heavy duty vehicles in the future as well though.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 4:46:11 PM
At 2/16/2013 5:14:40 AM, pozessed wrote:
At 2/15/2013 5:49:20 PM, sadolite wrote:

I agree with everything you say. I don't see any reason to assume there won't be any electric heavy duty vehicles in the future as well though.

They have them now, and they won't be any better in the future. Electricity is consumed exponentially. Heavy loads mean large consumption to get it moving. Here is what they will offer in the future. They will build a truck with an electric generator that will be connected to electric drive motors at the wheels the generator will be powered or turned by a diesel engine so as to allow the generator to generate electricity to send power to the electric drive motors. It will be touted as new innovative technology. (Diesel locomotive). 50 year old technology. It will get subsidies and credit for being green because it has electricity as the final drive.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 6:15:17 PM
If a car is self-driving, there is no need to look outside unless you want to enjoy the scenery. Instead, the car needs a workspace with a computer, a TV screen, a fridge, and a microwave oven so you can carry on with other things while the car is taking you somewhere. If you have those other things available, then you will care much less about how long it takes to get you to your destination. Slow travel does not require exotic streamlining. The car of the future may look more like a tool shed than space ship.

Military vehicles often have six-wheel and eight-wheel drive. That makes the mechanical drive mechanism from a single engine very complicated. Also, the lack of gas stations on a battlefield makes fuel economy important. This leads to configurations with electric motors in each wheel and hybrid technology. It's been a subject of research for twenty years or more, with vehicles now being fielded.

The technology in the video is wildly expensive. We suppose that will improve over time, but current U.S. law is demanding future fuel economies that will probably demand expensive exotic materials and technologies. Most people will probably only be able to afford tiny vehicles if the laws hold up. Most lawmakers are only familiar with urban commuting, not hauling plywood and hay bails on snowy rural roads.