Jump to topic:

Windows 8- What Microsoft should have done

1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:32:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Instead of putting Metro and Desktop together, they should have released different editions:

Desktop Edition- For regular non-touch desktops and laptops
Convertible Edition- Have both Metro and Desktop like Windows 8 has now. For touch screen PCs and higher end tablets.
Windows RT- For tablets.

What they should have done with Metro is they should have took Windows Phone 8, which is a great phone OS, and made it larger like Apple did with iOS and Google did with Android. They should have made it larger and compatible with tablets and touch computers, instead of creating a new Windows RT environment. They should have made that the "Metro" for the touch screen PCs and tablets.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:33:12 PM
Also, they should have removed the desktop entirely on Windows RT.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 12:33:46 PM
I absolutely hate Metro.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
drhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 11:34:55 PM
What they should have done is:
1. Fire the people whose great idea it was to:
- Remove the Start Menu
- Split the Control Panel between itself and an arbitrarily-added 'Settings' menu
- Create a primarily tablet-based interface while ignoring desktop users
- Use horizontal scrolling on the Start Screen (which never should have been added)
- Create any other of the countless 'anti-features' and abominable design decisions in Windows 8
2. Not made Windows 8.

If they had followed these simple steps, Windows 8 would have been an amazing operating system. Much better than it is now, since I'd sooner format my drive and have no OS than use Windows 8.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 11:39:13 PM
The "no start button" threw me through a loop for a while there. Now it's only mildly annoying.

The thing that really gets me are the pop-up side-bars when you move your mouse over to the sides of the screen. I have this thing where I like to scroll my cruiser wildly around the screen for no reason, and so this is irritating.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2013 11:09:07 PM
At 3/17/2013 11:34:55 PM, drhead wrote:
What they should have done is:
1. Fire the people whose great idea it was to:
- Remove the Start Menu
- Split the Control Panel between itself and an arbitrarily-added 'Settings' menu
- Create a primarily tablet-based interface while ignoring desktop users
- Use horizontal scrolling on the Start Screen (which never should have been added)
- Create any other of the countless 'anti-features' and abominable design decisions in Windows 8
2. Not made Windows 8.

If they had followed these simple steps, Windows 8 would have been an amazing operating system. Much better than it is now, since I'd sooner format my drive and have no OS than use Windows 8.

100% agree. I can't use Windows 8 because they took away the stuff you know and replaced it with other stuff which is intuitive as speaking Chinese. f'ers. I still don't know how to get to the network settings.