Jump to topic:

Google Dashboard

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 8:01:24 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
This is Google's latest effort to give users more control of what information gets stored about them whenever they log in. Apparently it's designed to show you what records Google has kept about you. It shows you things like what You Tube videos you've searched (since Google owns YouTube), you booking vacations or flights, chat histories, e-mails, what you've searched for on the internet, the websites you've visited, etc. The purpose of it is to be more "transparent" about what Google knows about you, and to allow you to remove that stuff or whatever. Still, it's really creepy to consider how much information about you is out there when you really think about it. I remember when "The Net" with Sandra Bullock came out and it seemed creepy; it seems as if a lot of that came true. Weeeird. Give me privacy rar rar.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 8:22:24 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I would say that we ought to legislate that every last agreement to give away personal information, which will be stored for more than a day, has to be agreed to through an opt-in check box and clicking "I Submit". Otherwise I think the contracts are rather like small print kind of stuff.

And though one might say that those who sign such contracts, or use such services, have freely given up those rights, and their stupidity ought not infringe on business, I would say, it's not that much infringement as if it's equally enforced theirs no competitive advantage being gained by anyone, and it would be a lot more convenient to all the people. I don't think you can so much vote with your business on this one, because they all do it.
I wouldn't even be surprised if DDO keeps quite a bit you wouldn't expect, even if you leave. And they can probably sell it to info companies who build profiles on people. Also from when I read the TOS here, I saw that DDO claims ownership of all conversations submitted to this site, which is an interesting thing for a person to give up.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."