Jump to topic:

.MOD media conversion

brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 11:15:33 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Salve all. My friend just bought a new digital camera, a JVC Everio. The camera is fine, but we're working on some video projects, and the camera creates .MOD video files, which my PC can't read. I have downloaded all-new codec packs and even a new media player, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas or suggestions? Any are welcome.

Thanks
Don't I take care of them all?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 5:55:36 AM
VLC http://www.videolan.org... is claimed to play .MOD files, but their forums http://forum.videolan.org... say that the files have to be renamed as .mpg Apparently there are lots of variation within the format, so there are still problems getting everyone on the same page.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 9:55:49 AM
Right, I downloaded the VLC player and had no problems. I didn't have to manually rename anything or even convert anything, however the purpose of doing that was to be able to edit video, and for that I'm working with the Sony Vegas Platinum Pro system. I had called Sony to see if the program supported .mod format, and they said no. However it seems totally compatible. Whether this is b/c of the codecs and VLC already having been installed I don't know. But, so far, so good...

From what I've seen the .mod format is kind of a rarity, so it would have been nice for it to have a more conventional format. I guess that's for the JVC forums though;)

Thanks guys, tk and Roy.

Britt
Don't I take care of them all?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2009 8:31:34 AM
I checked Adobe Premiere Pro, and it claims to import, edit, and export .MOD files. In a table of formats they refer to .MOD as the "Quicktime" format. A friend of mine recently bought a still camera that has a movie mode, and it produces .MOD files. I'm guessing that the format is relatively easy to compress, so the camera doesn't need an expensive processor. I don't see why else it would be gaining popularity.