Jump to topic:

Which car should I choose?

brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 12:33:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It's about time someone posted a topic about cars.

With all due modesty, I'm something of an expert on cars. Give me a while to examine your options properly and I will post my conclusions.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 12:43:07 PM
Blech, I'm no expert in cars, but that is definitely not a good line-up. Go find yourself a Nissan Skyline, Nags.

The best out of all of them is the Grand Am. Go for that barring the Skyline.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 2:20:00 PM
It has to be #8, the Mercury 4x4. High mileage, I know, but they are all long in the tooth and the V8 lump should be good for another 100k at least. Yes, it will be thirsty but petrol (gas) is extremely cheap in the States (compared to Europe at least) so there should be no worries there.

Also, it has four wheel drive and plenty of grunt so you can go off-road camping in it and if you decide to buy a speed boat you can tow, launch and recover it with no problem. And you can take half a dozen friends with you (and ask them to chip-in for the fuel).

This vehicle looks the business and because of its size, nobody will mess with you on the road. Plus the parts are cheap and easy to aquire and it comes with all the goodies that you wouldn't get on the Ford equivilent.

I've driven a couple of these cars and they are a real pleasure. I say: buy it! Buy it now!
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 3:50:08 PM
Nags, with all due respect to BE's post, don't buy a V8 because it's cheaper here than in Europe. That should mean nothing to you.

You know your price range, and how much money you can reasonably spend on gasoline every month, etc. I used to drive a Pontiac Grand-Am, and it was reliable. I then drove a Chevy Malibu, and it was reliable. Now I drive a Nissan Altima, and I love it.

Keep in mind, a 4-cylinder engine today has the same Hp as a 2002 V6. Make sure you have solid torque, as that will help you on highway on-ramps anytime, and on snowy roads or snow drifts (especially if you're in New England) during the winter.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 3:53:31 PM
No offense to American cars but in my opinion you'd be better off going for something German or Japanese.

The first Dodge and the Pontiac look nice though.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 3:54:49 PM
At 11/12/2009 3:53:31 PM, feverish wrote:
No offense to American cars but in my opinion you'd be better off going for something German or Japanese.

If Al Bundy were here he'd beat you with a baseball bat then put his hand down the front of his pants.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 6:16:43 PM
At 11/12/2009 3:50:08 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Nags, with all due respect to BE's post, don't buy a V8 because it's cheaper here than in Europe. That should mean nothing to you.

You know your price range, and how much money you can reasonably spend on gasoline every month, etc. I used to drive a Pontiac Grand-Am, and it was reliable. I then drove a Chevy Malibu, and it was reliable. Now I drive a Nissan Altima, and I love it.

I agree. I liked my Altima, but it was a little big. I hear the new ones are better. The only thing I really drive right now is my gf's Mazda and I love it. I concur that Brian's perception of "cheap" gas is kind of irrelevant lol... gas is expensive, Nags, and you know it. If you really think you want to spend $40 to fill up your gas tank and often than go for #8.
President of DDO
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 10:29:16 AM
At 11/12/2009 6:16:43 PM, theLwerd wrote:
If you really think you want to spend $40 to fill up your gas tank and often than go for #8.

Wow, in England it would cost at least £60 ($100) to fill up a big 4x4 like that. (I'm guessing it would hold upwards of 15 gallons.)

We're at nearly £5 a gallon for petrol and diesel now. You don't know how lucky you are with fuel prices.
wonderwoman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 11:22:49 AM
i would get a honda or toyota but then again Already having a celica It is true I am biased.

However, I strongly feel that the taurus would be a horrible choice. As would the pontiac.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 12:13:33 PM
Pontiacs are plastic - they aren't durable - a friend of mine use to drive one (used one such as the one you presented) and she's had to put more money into it than she paid for it.

Don't buy an SUV or Jeep - dealers are having a horrible time trying to sell these because gas prices are huge and no one wants to fill up once every 18 inches of driving. Plus, Jeeps have a really bad roll over rate, and unless you are doing a lot of off roading, they are useless for the money put into them.

Tauruses are OK. I know a few people who own them and they run pretty ok. The Dodge looks like be best pick of the litter.

I have a Mazda 3 2009 and it's beautiful, very gas efficient, sporty, and reliable as hell. I would recommend it to anyone. Mazdas are great cars. Another great thing about them is their price will hold if you want to re-sell it. It's the number one compact car at the moment, and deserves the title.

But, from the pricing you have listed, it seems you are looking for something under $2,000 - so the Mazda 3 is probably out of your reach....

So yeah, probably the Dodge.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 12:28:28 PM
At 11/13/2009 10:29:16 AM, feverish wrote:

Wow, in England it would cost at least £60 ($100) to fill up a big 4x4 like that. (I'm guessing it would hold upwards of 15 gallons.)

We're at nearly £5 a gallon for petrol and diesel now. You don't know how lucky you are with fuel prices.

You could always go to war with countries in the Middle East to lower your prices as well lol. Anyway, I suspect that they're pushing for the change to go Green hence their lack of initiative to lower prices overall. Plus, those aren't terribly low prices for us in the U.S. considering we've got our own oil... Drill baby, drill! Haha oh wait - I got rid of my Palin avatar. Dayum.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 2:11:51 PM
I'm in the process of donating my POS car to charity as we speak.

Also, I just carpool with the wifesicle to save money :D
President of DDO
Lifeisgood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 3:50:09 PM
I'd go with the first one.

But then, I know almost nothing about cars. So it's just my preference.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 2:32:47 AM
The thing is, the car is much more than just a practical mode of transport. If it wasn't, we'd all be riding around in soulless Japanese hatchbacks with four-pot engines and anonymous styling.

For many people a car is a thing of beauty and pride. It provides them with excitement and is also an expression of their personality. For the wealthy, it can also be a status symbol.

For me, I want a car that looks attractive, yet aggressive, but also implies sophistication. I want the fun of wind in the hair motoring with the ability to leave other cars in my dust when I put my foot down.

Furthermore, the car needs to be able to corner like it's on rails yet provide enough comfort and luxury to make female passengers feel pampered.

In short, a good car should give the occupants a real sense of occasion and you don't get that sitting in a Honda Civic or Nissan Micra.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 6:01:05 AM
At 11/13/2009 12:28:28 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 11/13/2009 10:29:16 AM, feverish wrote:

You could always go to war with countries in the Middle East to lower your prices as well lol.

We're already there! Fighting alongside you guys!

Anyway, I suspect that they're pushing for the change to go Green hence their lack of initiative to lower prices overall.

You're right. Like cigarettes, the cost is mostly tax. We smokers and drivers are sustaining the British economy.
NotPurpleHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 3:12:52 PM
At 11/12/2009 3:53:31 PM, feverish wrote:

I completely agree with you bud. Don't get an automatic either.