Jump to topic:

Computers to grade essays:

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 12:30:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Human languages are too complex for any AI to be able to fully grasp. Too much nuance and variability.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2013 10:59:08 PM
I think computers should replace teachers completely. Think of the billions that would be saved not having to deal with the teachers union and not to mention using computers would be more interesting for today's youth. Today's youth don't identify with human contact, put a portable computing device in their hands, and they are busy for hours.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
rainbowmunkeyz2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 12:16:09 AM
Computers to grade essays? My answer...Noooooooo PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My grades have went down just because of that. Computers are stupid...I mean that literally.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 12:51:43 AM
Short answers, ok...

essays, no.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 4:20:29 PM
At 4/9/2013 12:16:09 AM, rainbowmunkeyz2 wrote:
Computers to grade essays? My answer...Noooooooo PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My grades have went down just because of that. Computers are stupid...I mean that literally.

"Computers are stupid" But they are programed by the smartest people?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Gurgilxix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 5:56:28 PM
There is no possible way a program can be coded to cover all forms and styles of writing which would pigeon hole students into writing a specific way or being failed. I do like the idea of being able to get the results instantly and possibly being able to retake the test, but again, the idea seems flawed.

Once its wide spread on how the software grades papers, it would be easy to manipulate responses that don't actually answer the question but still gets a good grade because the software considers the response good.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 12:58:01 AM
Thinking about this for one minute and I could already conceive of complex algorithms that could grade exams.

DISADVANTAGE: It would take a large team several months to get such an algorithm working for any one exam.

ADVANTAGE: Human error is drastically reduced; i.e. two students writing exams of equal quality but one getting a higher grade because the examiner was influenced negatively by external elements.

Obviously short answers would be significantly easy and multiple choice is a no brainer.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2013 1:06:25 AM
I say we need to start developing AIs like the ones in Halo. What we use them for would vary, but we need a better AI system.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 12:00:31 AM
At 4/9/2013 12:16:09 AM, rainbowmunkeyz2 wrote:

If you know how to manipulate them you can use it to your advantage.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...