Jump to topic:

Technology is bad for society.

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:13:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just ask an old person. Sure, medicine technology is good. However, computers are not. I agree that it is valuable for people to be able to research things and type papers is important. However, social networking, IM'ing. It is pointless and it is absorbing people's lives into technology. I am sixteen and I would prefer to live in a society with far less technological dependency. Anyone want to comment or agree go ahead.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 11:23:17 AM
At 4/16/2013 11:13:56 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
Just ask an old person. Sure, medicine technology is good. However, computers are not. I agree that it is valuable for people to be able to research things and type papers is important. However, social networking, IM'ing. It is pointless and it is absorbing people's lives into technology. I am sixteen and I would prefer to live in a society with far less technological dependency. Anyone want to comment or agree go ahead.
No.

Technology has made us better and more healthy overall.
I love the way the world has gone as far as electronics and machines are concerned. Your ideas are mainly emotional than anything else. Not much logic here. =)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2013 6:46:05 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. I was in a restaurant last week with my family and there were four young girls sitting in a booth across from us. They all sat there with their IPhones glued to their faces and maybe said 10 words to each other the whole time we were there. Actually 5 young girls if you include my teenage daughter who does the same thing. It is a pathetic waste of life in my opinion. Constantly checking to see if someone is saying something about you or saying something about someone else in order to get attention while all the while ignoring the people sitting right in front of you. Truly a sad state of affairs. I am so glad my life does not revolve around such pointless insanity. I do have a cell phone but it is useless as a communication device if you want to talk to me. If what people have to say is important they will call my home phone or call me at work number and leave a message if I am not there. Wonder where my cell phone is now that I think about it.
But in no way would I infringe on anyones decision to piss their life away being a slave to a pointless piece of technology. To each his own. I just walk away from people who answer their cell phone while I am talking to them. Then they have the nerve to call me rude.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 9:22:52 PM
At 4/16/2013 11:23:17 AM, inferno wrote:
No.

I love the way the world has gone as far as electronics and machines are concerned. Your ideas are mainly emotional than anything else. Not much logic here. =)

I said that society has made us healthier in my original post. I simply am saying that society would be better off without so much texting and social networking.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 10:01:14 PM

So explain the evolution of education without communication? Wouldn't communicating faster mean faster education?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2013 11:55:43 PM
Technology for the most part is used to facilitate the flow of communication and information.

What's wrong with that?

What's the difference if I talk to the guy next to me on the bus or text my friend from the bus?

I'm still communicating with someone.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 12:04:39 AM

http://s33.photobucket.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 8:42:54 AM

Youre going with the morale of society. But technology has not been the cause of our moral decline.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 12:33:56 AM
At 4/17/2013 11:55:43 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
Technology for the most part is used to facilitate the flow of communication and information.

What's wrong with that?

What's the difference if I talk to the guy next to me on the bus or text my friend from the bus?

I'm still communicating with someone.

The difference is you don't have to spend time and money to meet them in order to talk to them :D

Seriously, if not for the Line, Skype etc. and this kind of social network I would never be able to apply for education abroad or any where far from home. They used it to conduct an interview, otherwise I have to fly there and meet them in person which is not really an option.
A-Likely-Story
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 11:42:37 AM
At 4/17/2013 9:22:52 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
I said that society has made us healthier in my original post. I simply am saying that society would be better off without so much texting and social networking.

Do you have any reasoning for this claim? How, exactly, would we be better off?
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 2:45:58 PM
At 4/18/2013 8:42:54 AM, inferno wrote:

Youre going with the morale of society. But technology has not been the cause of our moral decline.

I don't believe there is a moral decline.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 6:18:44 PM

true we are more prepared for an alien invasion than an hour without power but if technology was taken out of it society, it would do more harm than good
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
binarypearl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 12:40:37 AM
Technology has become unhealthy to people and leads to a high level of stress. My work phone has email on it, and we are expected to respond 24x7. In order to achieve this expectation, I constantly have to check my phone for new email. This constant checking of email leads to a high level of stress which has reduced my overall health.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 7:18:09 AM
Nah, I am an old person and I think technology is a very good thing. Slide rules and interpolating tables of logarithms are not fun. But I agree that there are downsides, and obsession with social media is not good.

I heard a psychologist argue that social media leads to people making up a "fake life" to present to others, which leads to an inability to cope with real life. I doubt that's the case unless the person is deeply into it. In the old days people sent picture postcards. No problem with that.
Student4Life1975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2015 10:48:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

I cant agree with that. Technology has benefitted us in ways that were incomprehensible just 50 yearts ago. Medical advances have saved countless lives time and time again. Social Networking has allowed people to have access to information that was only available to top researchers just a few years ago. Wanna learn about how to build a deck, just google it. I'll admit that social media has alot of garbage associated with it, but if I dont like it, I simply dont participate. Thats what power buttons are for.
there is no progress without compromise"
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 7:30:01 AM
At 4/24/2015 10:48:46 PM, Student4Life1975 wrote:

I cant agree with that. Technology has benefitted us in ways that were incomprehensible just 50 yearts ago. Medical advances have saved countless lives time and time again. Social Networking has allowed people to have access to information that was only available to top researchers just a few years ago. Wanna learn about how to build a deck, just google it. I'll admit that social media has alot of garbage associated with it, but if I dont like it, I simply dont participate. Thats what power buttons are for.

do you search for like 1-2 year old threads? You're going to learn that necroposting, or posting in threads that haven't been posted in for 2 or so years, is frowned upon.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2015 12:47:34 PM
At 4/17/2013 9:22:52 PM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
No.

You should know that technology doesn't just equal social networking, that's just a small part of it. You should've changed your questions title to "social networking is bad for you" not technology, because technology is pretty much everything, your chair, your table, the wheel. But moving on, social networking can be pretty useful in the business world. There's no doubt it's easier for American business people to communicate to their counterparts in China, for example.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Student4Life1975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 7:33:16 AM
At 4/27/2015 7:30:01 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

do you search for like 1-2 year old threads? You're going to learn that necroposting, or posting in threads that haven't been posted in for 2 or so years, is frowned upon.

I wasnt aware that a topic was only relevent within certain time frames, sorry to offend you. Being frowned opon is no concern to me, i'm here to debate and voice my opinion, not gain approval from people halfway across the world. This is Debate.org, not popularity.org as you would likely be happier participating in.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 7:37:42 AM
At 4/28/2015 7:33:16 AM, Student4Life1975 wrote:

I wasnt aware that a topic was only relevent within certain time frames, sorry to offend you. Being frowned opon is no concern to me, i'm here to debate and voice my opinion, not gain approval from people halfway across the world. This is Debate.org, not popularity.org as you would likely be happier participating in.

You misread the subtext, I was just pointing it out.
Student4Life1975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2015 7:49:19 AM
At 4/28/2015 7:37:42 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 4/28/2015 7:33:16 AM, Student4Life1975 wrote:

You misread the subtext, I was just pointing it out.

My appologies for that then.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 5:15:58 AM

Medicine technology IS technology.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 6:42:36 PM
No.

Ted....is that you? LOL

They allow you some online time now out there in Florence? Sweet.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 8:26:54 AM
At 5/6/2015 6:42:36 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
No.

Ted....is that you? LOL

They allow you some online time now out there in Florence? Sweet.

Lol, he's still posting essays and whatnot, actually.
elatia.g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 5:16:43 PM
I think technology is good if used judiciously. Using Google and Wikipedia to look up facts and learn new things is a great way to expand one's mind. Watching cat videos on YouTube might be considered more of a waste of time, but can be a great way to depressurize after a long day at the office.

Of course, there are negatives, such as sexually abusive material and the excesses of online gambling. However, the people who fall prey to these were probably doing them before they ever started using the Net. The Net just makes it easier for them to access these things.

My conclusion is that everything is good in moderation, including modern tech.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 2:07:31 PM

Ludanite much?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
sherlockholmesfan2798
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 12:47:14 PM

With anything popular, people can get obsessed and overuse/abuse it, but that doesn't mean it is acting poorly on all of society. It may have bad effects (like many items) but the good by far supersedes the bad.
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything. - Nikola Tesla
iDaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 12:49:39 AM
I'd have to disagree with it.
I'd say anything is only bad for a person or a set group of people if it becomes misused or overused, with exceptions of course. Technology would fall into that category of misused and overused. I could see how you'd say technology has contributed to the increasing laziness of society, yet that's just not true, as there are people with the ability to balance technology into their lives without having it become a complete burden on their lives. People do go out and have lives outside of their computer. In fact, I'd say technology has only helped society progress and has added to the diversification of society as a whole. Never before have we been able to connect minds together in one play with this much ease as the development of the internet, which utilizes technology, has given us. Technology has helped people and society grow as a whole. The goods of technology outweigh the bads.