Total Posts:55|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I hate Windows 8

benevolent
Posts: 1,040
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2013 10:28:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My Chrome has now decided that it will only open on like a separate screen from the desktop screen and is now also slow as f*ck. Same with Skype but Skype was always like that. It's so f*cking annoying. Why did they think this would be cool?
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 8:41:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
You get use to it. I use to hate it, but with a few days I'm use to it. It's not great and it was over hyped, but not bad. If you don't like it, buy or *cough*pirate*cough* windows 7 and install it.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 12:05:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/30/2013 10:26:42 PM, benevolent wrote:
Someone teach me how to make it go away.

Uninstall it (obviously) and put Linux on it.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2013 12:23:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It was when I first saw Vista, that I said "Hey, what's this "linux" thing about?"

I haven't looked back since, as Windows gets worse and worse, Linux seems to get better and better (Though I did switch fro Ubuntu to Mint due to Ubuntu's "Let's be like M$ and tell the users to go f*ck themselves and their opinions" approach)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Quan
Posts: 97
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 10:28:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
If you install Start8 and only use the "desktop" versions of software, it doesn't differ significantly from Windows 7.
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 12:24:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/2/2013 12:23:34 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
It was when I first saw Vista, that I said "Hey, what's this "linux" thing about?"

I haven't looked back since, as Windows gets worse and worse, Linux seems to get better and better (Though I did switch fro Ubuntu to Mint due to Ubuntu's "Let's be like M$ and tell the users to go f*ck themselves and their opinions" approach)

I love linux. I'd use it all the time if I didn't have to use windows.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
benevolent
Posts: 1,040
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2013 4:59:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/3/2013 7:16:42 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
It's designed for tablets. They should have made it better for laptops.

Makes sense. Someone teach me how to get Chrome back onto my desktop please... I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself earlier; f*ck computers.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 12:58:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/3/2013 5:02:24 PM, benevolent wrote:
I thought linux was a type of flooring...

No, but Fedora is a kind of hat.....
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
mathdebator
Posts: 72
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2013 11:00:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Make sure you DON'T download applications from the Windows Store. Delete everything off your start screen (like I did), that way you only have one option: go to the desktop. Other than that, Windows 8 isn't that bad.

With 8.1, they are bringing back the start button (sort of) and an option to disable the start screen.
slo1
Posts: 4,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 7:55:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm one of the statistics that is waiting to buy a new laptop until they do some user interface fixing with Windows 8.

I still don't understand how the concept of cluttering up a screen with one dimensional tiles that you have to scroll far to the right to get to, if you set up everything you ever use is innovation.

I can put more apps, shortcuts, & widgets on the home screen of my Galaxy S2 that are easy to get to than I can on a 15 inch laptop screen running windows 8. God forbid if you have to change an advanced user setting on it.

Let's do something different and then try to sell the public that it is better when it really is not. Thanks Microsoft.
Quan
Posts: 97
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 1:34:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/9/2013 11:00:25 AM, mathdebator wrote:
Make sure you DON'T download applications from the Windows Store.
Also look out for any software with the suffix "for Windows 8." They usually offer a "for Desktop"/"for Windows Desktop" version that has the better non-Metro UI and more functionality.
Jack212
Posts: 572
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 4:30:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/30/2013 10:26:42 PM, benevolent wrote:
Someone teach me how to make it go away.

- Classic Shell is a program that will restore the Start Menu.

- Use Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer.

- I settled for OpenOffice, but you can find pirated versions of Microsoft Office online.

- Use Yahoo! Messenger to video call instead of Skype. Windows 8 won't let you update the Skype app.

- Don't try to use a different antivirus program unless you can remove Norton first, otherwise they'll attack each other. Norton looks like it's built into the operating system on mine, so I just have to live with it.

That's all I can remember.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 11:13:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/1/2013 8:41:21 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
You get use to it. I use to hate it, but with a few days I'm use to it. It's not great and it was over hyped, but not bad. If you don't like it, buy or *cough*pirate*cough* windows 7 and install it.
Noctan
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 11:44:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 11:13:59 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:41:21 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
You get use to it. I use to hate it, but with a few days I'm use to it. It's not great and it was over hyped, but not bad. If you don't like it, buy or *cough*pirate*cough* windows 7 and install it.

You're here because of what airmax said on my post earlier aren't you?
I can manage my anger if people can manage their stupidity.
llamainmypocket
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 12:54:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/30/2013 10:26:42 PM, benevolent wrote:
Someone teach me how to make it go away.

You will love it when windows 9 is released. Such is the way of windows.

I've come to think of windows as merely a functional product, such as a toilet. How about we shoot water in your butt automatically? What if we mandate a mint smell to the water? Should the seat change colors when it's warm? How about an audio alert when a courtesy flesh is, "necessary"? Let's remove the handle and flush by voice command!

Nobody wants their toilet changed. They just want a simple and functional product to take a reliable dump in. The irony is that windows does actually need updating and the result is blind anger at the stupidity of an audio alert for a courtesy flesh. I just wanted to take a dump! That's all.

Well, windows isn't going to let you take a simple dump because they can't. It will make their product irrelevant.
Quan
Posts: 97
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 11:20:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/23/2013 12:54:35 AM, llamainmypocket wrote:
At 6/30/2013 10:26:42 PM, benevolent wrote:
Someone teach me how to make it go away.

You will love it when windows 9 is released. Such is the way of windows.



I've come to think of windows as merely a functional product, such as a toilet. How about we shoot water in your butt automatically? What if we mandate a mint smell to the water? Should the seat change colors when it's warm? How about an audio alert when a courtesy flesh is, "necessary"? Let's remove the handle and flush by voice command!

Nobody wants their toilet changed. They just want a simple and functional product to take a reliable dump in. The irony is that windows does actually need updating and the result is blind anger at the stupidity of an audio alert for a courtesy flesh. I just wanted to take a dump! That's all.

Well, windows isn't going to let you take a simple dump because they can't. It will make their product irrelevant.

Change for the sake of change does not make a better product. I would not complain if the changes were actual enhancements that took some getting used to. However, a pseudo-touchscreen interface on my desktop PC and removal of 90% of the features of some software (see Skype for Windows 8) are not enhancements by any stretch of the imagination. It certainly did little to make their product more relevant, as the bad publicity led to it being avoided almost as much as Vista.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 1:59:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/23/2013 12:54:35 AM, llamainmypocket wrote:
At 6/30/2013 10:26:42 PM, benevolent wrote:
Someone teach me how to make it go away.

You will love it when windows 9 is released. Such is the way of windows.

Implying that people liked Vista after 7 came out.




I've come to think of windows as merely a functional product, such as a toilet.

Toilets take away sh!t, windows brings the sh!t straight to you, and makes you pay for it.

How about we shoot water in your butt automatically?

That's called a bidet., and there are lots of bidet/toilets out there.

What if we mandate a mint smell to the water? Should the seat change colors when it's warm? How about an audio alert when a courtesy flesh is, "necessary"? Let's remove the handle and flush by voice command!

Nobody wants their toilet changed. They just want a simple and functional product to take a reliable dump in.

Please, do explain not only low flush toilets, but also the Japanese toilets.

The irony is that windows does actually need updating and the result is blind anger at the stupidity of an audio alert for a courtesy flesh.

Showing your clear lack of understanding of why people hate windows. Personally, I hate windows because they are sh!t at security. For instance: there is currently an issue with win7, and I believe win8, in their use of IPv6. This isn't a small issue, and it's not something that is unknown to Microsoft. They have stated they have no real intention of fixing it in previous windows, and I never found out if they did in win8. This issue allows for any computer using IPv6 and Wi-Fi, to be shut down easily. Macs have never had this issue, because they accounted for it on all systems using IPv6. This is just one example, off the top of my head. And it is not even close to the worst problem windows has had.

But, a lot of people hate windows, for the exact reason I, and a lot of other people, specifically hate win8. In trying to be cutting edge, or stylish, or efficient, or whatever, they end up making a product crap. Sure, win8 is an ok concept, but, like communism, it's sh!t in practice. It looks kinda cool, but after using it for a decent length of time, it's entirely annoying.

I just wanted to take a dump! That's all.

Not everyone does 'just want to take a dump'. And, following your metaphor, windows lets the occasional black widow make a nest on your toilet seat.


Well, windows isn't going to let you take a simple dump because they can't. It will make their product irrelevant.

No, they wont let you take a simple dump, because they feel it will make their product irrelevant, and this is wrong. The real reason people use windows is because they're used to it. That's the only reason I still use windows, and it's the same reason everyone I know, who uses windows, use it. And Microsoft fails to understand this, shown by their futile attempts at crappy innovation. Sure, they've definitely made some good innovations, but ever since vista, their failures have started becoming way to common. Win8 is mainly aimed at tablets, and they should have made two seperate editions, one for tablets and one for normal computers. As is, the tablet part being inherent in all copies win8, has put off a large portion of long time customers such as my self. The next computer I get will likely be running linux, possibly crunchbang because I like the minimalism. But, if I ever do get windows again, it will be XP, possibly 7, and I will never willingly give anther cent to Microsoft, for a windows product.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
llamainmypocket
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2013 5:35:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/23/2013 11:20:11 AM, Quan wrote:
At 7/23/2013 12:54:35 AM, llamainmypocket wrote:
At 6/30/2013 10:26:42 PM, benevolent wrote:
Someone teach me how to make it go away.

You will love it when windows 9 is released. Such is the way of windows.



I've come to think of windows as merely a functional product, such as a toilet. How about we shoot water in your butt automatically? What if we mandate a mint smell to the water? Should the seat change colors when it's warm? How about an audio alert when a courtesy flesh is, "necessary"? Let's remove the handle and flush by voice command!

Nobody wants their toilet changed. They just want a simple and functional product to take a reliable dump in. The irony is that windows does actually need updating and the result is blind anger at the stupidity of an audio alert for a courtesy flesh. I just wanted to take a dump! That's all.

Well, windows isn't going to let you take a simple dump because they can't. It will make their product irrelevant.

Change for the sake of change does not make a better product. I would not complain if the changes were actual enhancements that took some getting used to. However, a pseudo-touchscreen interface on my desktop PC and removal of 90% of the features of some software (see Skype for Windows 8) are not enhancements by any stretch of the imagination. It certainly did little to make their product more relevant, as the bad publicity led to it being avoided almost as much as Vista.

That dichotomy between customer and corporation is one of the reasons why I don't believe windows will last into the future.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 2:08:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 11:44:44 PM, Noctan wrote:
At 7/22/2013 11:13:59 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/1/2013 8:41:21 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
You get use to it. I use to hate it, but with a few days I'm use to it. It's not great and it was over hyped, but not bad. If you don't like it, buy or *cough*pirate*cough* windows 7 and install it.


You're here because of what airmax said on my post earlier aren't you?

Noooo... what post? And why did you follow me?!
llamainmypocket
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2013 3:05:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I personally don't hate windows 8 and I've never hated any version of windows with the exception of the original windows 95.

Windows 8 is good for me because I access my computer remotely through my tablet. Windows is made for touch screen and that's the only way I use it.
Rice
Posts: 107
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 9:51:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/30/2013 10:26:42 PM, benevolent wrote:
Someone teach me how to make it go away.

You should try out Linux (I recommend elementary OS). But before committing you can try it out through either VMware Player or Oracle VM Virtual Box (both free). This will allow you to try out the Linux operating system while still having Windows 8.

If you like it you can then completely switch over to Linux or do a duel boot setup.
Rice
Posts: 107
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 10:04:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/30/2013 10:26:42 PM, benevolent wrote:
Someone teach me how to make it go away.

By saying that you dislike Windows 8, I'm going to assume you dislike the metro functionality (as, aside from minor bugs and the lack of start button, desktop mode remains the same). So if you don't want to switch to Linux, don't want to pay money to 'down'-grade to Windows 7, and don't feel comfortable pirating Windows 7, there is an alternative.

Download the Skip Metro Suit-it can be found here: http://winaero.com...
It disables the metro screen functionality and will boot directly to desktop mode. The corner button functions will remain the same (though those can be disabled in advanced settings I believe), but you'll no longer have to deal with metro view and will instead boot directly to desktop mode.
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 2:24:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 4:30:05 AM, Jack212 wrote:
At 6/30/2013 10:26:42 PM, benevolent wrote:
Someone teach me how to make it go away.

- Classic Shell is a program that will restore the Start Menu.

Start8 is better
- Use Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer.
Or just use the Desktop version

- I settled for OpenOffice, but you can find pirated versions of Microsoft Office online.

- Use Yahoo! Messenger to video call instead of Skype. Windows 8 won't let you update the Skype app.
Or just use the desktop version of Skype

- Don't try to use a different antivirus program unless you can remove Norton first, otherwise they'll attack each other. Norton looks like it's built into the operating system on mine, so I just have to live with it.
Norton is not built in. THe manufacturer (HP, Dell, etc) probably put it in there. You can remove it.

That's all I can remember.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.