Jump to topic:

IP addresses.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 8:04:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is probably incredibly stupid to those of you who are familiar with computers, but where does the IP address com from? The router? Or a particular computer? Say that I wanted to make a new account on a forum. If I was using a different computer with the new account, and never logged into the old on it, would I be detectable if I used the same WiFi source?

If you're curious about my motive, I am going to decide soon whether want a new account on another forum where you can't simply ask the mods to switch off your old one.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 9:25:20 PM
Pretty sure it's the router.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Quan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 8:39:23 AM
The router assigns each device connected to it a unique LAN IP address. These are not visible outside your LAN.

Your ISP typically assigns a single public IP address to your router, which is the IP address used to identify you.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 8:47:35 AM
At 7/12/2013 8:39:23 AM, Quan wrote:
The router assigns each device connected to it a unique LAN IP address. These are not visible outside your LAN.

Your ISP typically assigns a single public IP address to your router, which is the IP address used to identify you.

This.

But, to add on, depending on the ISP, internet service provider, some assign static and some do dynamic. That is to say, some assign a permanent IP, while others simply assign a temporary IP, respectively. Also, the IP address' are lumped into categories per area.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2013 9:28:10 PM
At 7/12/2013 8:47:35 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 7/12/2013 8:39:23 AM, Quan wrote:

This.

But, to add on, depending on the ISP, internet service provider, some assign static and some do dynamic. That is to say, some assign a permanent IP, while others simply assign a temporary IP, respectively. Also, the IP address' are lumped into categories per area.

THIS.

Unless you're on an IPv6 connection, which is unlikely for the year 2013. IPv4 addresses such as 192.168.1.1 (common internal ip for your router) are running out. The 128-bit IPv6 allow for LOTS more IP addresses.

I believe they eliminate NAT and allow more direct communication or something. I don't have the time to research right now, as I'm going on a 2 day train ride soon. Woo hoo!
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 1:41:02 PM
So.... I will or will not be detected if a mod gets suspicious?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 9:49:53 PM
At 7/13/2013 1:41:02 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

If you're connecting through the same router you'll probably show up as the same IP address.
Get a hold of your ISP provider and see if they can change your IP address.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 10:01:31 AM

Odds are that you will, if you take no precautions. You can use Tor, or various other proxy services, to circumvent detection, to a degree.

https://www.torproject.org...
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 10:58:31 AM
Your ISP is unlikely to change your IP address without some sort of legitimate reason. Hiding from a website admin is unlikely to convince them. So long as you are connecting to the web page from within your WiFi connection, their servers will see you as connecting from the same IP address.

Furthermore, they probably have other ways of establishing your identity. Since you are using an account to log in, the site will probably use cookies to manage your sessions. Cookies can record information such as your internal IP address, MAC address, OS, Browser, and a lot of information that can uniquely identify your computer.

So, as long as you are within your WiFi, you can't hide.
As long as you are using the same computer, even through a different WiFi connection, you probably can't hide either.

Tor is a good suggestion, but only protects you from the former, not the latter.

So, if you got a different computer and used Tor, you could probably evade those kinds of analysis, but nothing is absolute. Any slip up could potentially give you away. Ways of speaking/posting, patterns in logging behavior, any information you reveal that could be correlated with previous identities, etc.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 12:15:33 PM
At 7/11/2013 8:04:32 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
This is probably incredibly stupid to those of you who are familiar with computers, but where does the IP address com from? The router? Or a particular computer? Say that I wanted to make a new account on a forum. If I was using a different computer with the new account, and never logged into the old on it, would I be detectable if I used the same WiFi source?

If you're curious about my motive, I am going to decide soon whether want a new account on another forum where you can't simply ask the mods to switch off your old one.

I get a new IP every time my DSL router reboots - I would have to pay my provider extra for a fixed IP address.

I think maybe some sites just want you to think they can absolutely track you. They can probably tell that you're from the same provider, but not that you're definitely the same person. What with mobile wifi and all, the same person can have a bunch of IPs over the course of a day.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 12:18:27 PM
At 7/16/2013 10:58:31 AM, drafterman wrote:

So, if you got a different computer and used Tor, you could probably evade those kinds of analysis, but nothing is absolute. Any slip up could potentially give you away. Ways of speaking/posting, patterns in logging behavior, any information you reveal that could be correlated with previous identities, etc.

And I do agree with you at the same time, btw - they can probably figure out who you are as a practical matter, just not by some absolute packet level analysis. Assuming you know how to wipe cookies and that sort of thing.
This space for rent.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:17:09 PM
At 7/16/2013 12:15:33 PM, v3nesl wrote:

I get a new IP every time my DSL router reboots - I would have to pay my provider extra for a fixed IP address.

I think maybe some sites just want you to think they can absolutely track you. They can probably tell that you're from the same provider, but not that you're definitely the same person. What with mobile wifi and all, the same person can have a bunch of IPs over the course of a day.

Even with dynamic IP addressing, most schemes prefer to assign the same IP address over and over again.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:20:39 PM
They are unlikely to employ any sort of automatic scanning of IP addresses. After all, it's certainly possible to have two people on the same ISP or even the same computer that both want and have individual accounts to some website. So they can't be automatically blocking that, in and of itself.

How they would catch you is the same way that they would catch anyone anywhere: you'd eventually give yourself up. How do we continually catch RationalMadman, badger, or Aperion? Their behavior gives them away.

The technical stuff is merely used for extra validation. The reach leg work is done by the members of the forum in which you are participating. Essentially, discovering who you are is being crowd-sourced to them. So it isn't the computers you have to worry about, it's the hundreds or thousands of people who will be seeing your posts and you are wagering that there is no aspect of your personality, behavior, or posting styles that wouldn't be recognizable to them.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 1:51:55 PM
At 7/16/2013 1:17:09 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 7/16/2013 12:15:33 PM, v3nesl wrote:

Even with dynamic IP addressing, most schemes prefer to assign the same IP address over and over again.

Well, I get a new one periodically. I know when it happens, places like my bank make me go through an extra security step ("Is this a public computer...")
This space for rent.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:35:08 PM
At 7/16/2013 1:20:39 PM, drafterman wrote:
They are unlikely to employ any sort of automatic scanning of IP addresses.

Most websites actually do this, simply to track who uses their website. 99% of websites actively track your IP the rest either simply throw out the information, or never had it because they don't run their own webs ever.

After all, it's certainly possible to have two people on the same ISP or even the same computer that both want and have individual accounts to some website. So they can't be automatically blocking that, in and of itself.

Yes, but that isn't a common thing. Either you will be contacted by the website staff, or they just won't care about multi accounts related to one IP

How they would catch you is the same way that they would catch anyone anywhere: you'd eventually give yourself up. How do we continually catch RationalMadman, badger, or Aperion? Their behavior gives them away.

Aperion created distinctly diffrent personas, and was only caught due to a slip up.

The technical stuff is merely used for extra validation. The reach leg work is done by the members of the forum in which you are participating. Essentially, discovering who you are is being crowd-sourced to them. So it isn't the computers you have to worry about, it's the hundreds or thousands of people who will be seeing your posts and you are wagering that there is no aspect of your personality, behavior, or posting styles that wouldn't be recognizable to them.

Apeiron fooled us pretty darn well.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:44:43 PM
Your ISP is unlikely to change your IP address without some sort of legitimate reason.

Not really, most ISP's will release you of your current IP, and give you a new one, if you ask them. That is, assuming they use static IP's, which is much less common than dynamic IP's.

Hiding from a website admin is unlikely to convince them. So long as you are connecting to the web page from within your WiFi connection, their servers will see you as connecting from the same IP address.

Unless you connect through a proxy, in which case they see it as coming from the end node.

Furthermore, they probably have other ways of establishing your identity.

I've had one such way pointed out to me, browser fingerprinting, but I'm not aware of any other ones that work.

Since you are using an account to log in, the site will probably use cookies to manage your sessions. Cookies can record information such as your internal IP address, MAC address, OS, Browser, and a lot of information that can uniquely identify your computer.

Assuming that you have cookies enabled, that is the case. But, tor automatically disables cookies.

I could do it easily.....

As long as you are using the same computer, even through a different WiFi connection, you probably can't hide either.

Even easier. A virtual machine would probably be the safest way, but just not having cookies enabled, and using countermeasures to browser fingerprinting is good enough.

Tor is a good suggestion, but only protects you from the former, not the latter.

Actually, it protects you from both.

So, if you got a different computer and used Tor, you could probably evade those kinds of analysis, but nothing is absolute.

That depends how far you want to take it. I can procure a connection that could never be tracked back to me, but it would cost a hundred euros or so, maybe less.

Any slip up could potentially give you away. Ways of speaking/posting, patterns in logging behavior, any information you reveal that could be correlated with previous identities, etc.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 8:47:35 PM
At 7/16/2013 8:44:43 PM, muzebreak wrote:
Your ISP is unlikely to change your IP address without some sort of legitimate reason.

Not really, most ISP's will release you of your current IP, and give you a new one, if you ask them. That is, assuming they use static IP's, which is much less common than dynamic IP's.

Hiding from a website admin is unlikely to convince them. So long as you are connecting to the web page from within your WiFi connection, their servers will see you as connecting from the same IP address.

Unless you connect through a proxy, in which case they see it as coming from the end node.

I've had one such way pointed out to me, browser fingerprinting, but I'm not aware of any other ones that work.

Since you are using an account to log in, the site will probably use cookies to manage your sessions. Cookies can record information such as your internal IP address, MAC address, OS, Browser, and a lot of information that can uniquely identify your computer.

Assuming that you have cookies enabled, that is the case. But, tor automatically disables cookies.

Even easier. A virtual machine would probably be the safest way, but just not having cookies enabled, and using countermeasures to browser fingerprinting is good enough.

So, if you got a different computer and used Tor, you could probably evade those kinds of analysis, but nothing is absolute.

That depends how far you want to take it. I can procure a connection that could never be tracked back to me, but it would cost a hundred euros or so, maybe less.

I just wanted to add; the method I had in mind when I said that is crude and inefficient. There are people that could get as good, if not better, security, for nothing, and if I really sat down and thought it out, I probably could to.

Any slip up could potentially give you away. Ways of speaking/posting, patterns in logging behavior, any information you reveal that could be correlated with previous identities, etc.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 9:02:52 PM
Your ISP is unlikely to change your IP address without some sort of legitimate reason. Hiding from a website admin is unlikely to convince them. So long as you are connecting to the web page from within your WiFi connection, their servers will see you as connecting from the same IP address.

Furthermore, they probably have other ways of establishing your identity. Since you are using an account to log in, the site will probably use cookies to manage your sessions. Cookies can record information such as your internal IP address, MAC address, OS, Browser, and a lot of information that can uniquely identify your computer.

Yeah, but they can't do anything at all without solid proof. I doubt they'll go so far anyway; the entire point of changing identities is to have a different experience and not get involved with the same issues (I don't have a good reputation, you see).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 10:34:24 PM

you will now.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2013 10:37:48 PM
At 7/16/2013 9:02:52 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Yeah, but they can't do anything at all without solid proof. I doubt they'll go so far anyway; the entire point of changing identities is to have a different experience and not get involved with the same issues (I don't have a good reputation, you see).

Unless you have a bad relationship with Juggle themselves (meaning that they've banned you) you can basically reset any time you want. Just let the admin know when you come up on the multi-reports. There are a number of members that have done this.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:05:19 AM
At 7/16/2013 8:35:08 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 7/16/2013 1:20:39 PM, drafterman wrote:
They are unlikely to employ any sort of automatic scanning of IP addresses.

Most websites actually do this, simply to track who uses their website. 99% of websites actively track your IP the rest either simply throw out the information, or never had it because they don't run their own webs ever.

Yes, but I meant in the sense that they wouldn't employ automated actions (denying the creation of an account) based simply on a previous account using that same IP.

After all, it's certainly possible to have two people on the same ISP or even the same computer that both want and have individual accounts to some website. So they can't be automatically blocking that, in and of itself.

Yes, but that isn't a common thing. Either you will be contacted by the website staff, or they just won't care about multi accounts related to one IP

Aperion created distinctly diffrent personas, and was only caught due to a slip up.

Several people knew it was him before that slip.

Apeiron fooled us pretty darn well.

Speak for yourself.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:10:12 AM
At 7/16/2013 8:44:43 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Well if you're going to go to that degree, why not browse from a boot disk?

While Tor may disable cookies, alternate methods for maintaining sessions still leave you vulnerability to the same type of analysis; just not through the use of cookies.

Yes, and I don't deny the ability to achieve full technical anonymity, but the ability to hide one's behavior is not guaranteed.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:11:29 AM

They can do anything they want, with or without proof, if they're the administrators of the site. The reliance on "proof" is merely a self-imposed limitation.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:14:40 AM
At 7/17/2013 7:11:29 AM, drafterman wrote:

They can do anything they want, with or without proof, if they're the administrators of the site. The reliance on "proof" is merely a self-imposed limitation.

No, it's not like DDO. They have a more formal way of doing things. I sincerely doubt that a mod could do "whatever he wanted."
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:15:52 AM
At 7/16/2013 10:37:48 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Unless you have a bad relationship with Juggle themselves (meaning that they've banned you) you can basically reset any time you want. Just let the admin know when you come up on the multi-reports. There are a number of members that have done this.

Um... obviously I was not referring to this website. I'm not going to say which, because several people might think it funny to make an account and go and stir up controversy.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:19:00 AM
Drafterman, I forgot to add that there are many mods, with differing levels of hierarchy. It's about checks and balances. If one mod bans you, you can appeal to another mod if you think it was unfair and they'll decide collectively. And they also ensure that you get a formal punishment. Being banned on that website does not stop you from being able to PM moderators.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2013 7:27:35 AM
At 7/17/2013 7:19:00 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Drafterman, I forgot to add that there are many mods, with differing levels of hierarchy. It's about checks and balances. If one mod bans you, you can appeal to another mod if you think it was unfair and they'll decide collectively. And they also ensure that you get a formal punishment. Being banned on that website does not stop you from being able to PM moderators.

Then yes, there are plenty of technical solutions for hiding your identity.
JesseR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 1:22:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The internet protocol which is in terms of analogies your identification. it helps things like routers to modems, and software to identify your computer separate from others.