Jump to topic:

Samsung Galaxy S4 or IPhone 5

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:49:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Which one should I get. I'm a total Apple person. Currently own a macbook pro, an IPod touch, an IPad, and a magic mouse from Apple. The current phone I have is the Samsung Galaxy S3 on TMobile, only because at the time IPhone wasn't being offered by TMobile so I settled with the GS3. Now I need a new phone cause I accidently dropped it, screen cracked, and it got extremely glitchy.

So which phone should I get. The only thing that's holding me back from the iPhone 5 is the fact that it looks exactly like my IPod touch with a phone feature. So there really isn't much difference to me. And I don't know, there is just something about the S4 that I don't really like. Just doesn't feel new to me. Any suggestions.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 12:06:38 PM
Apple is playing catch up with iPhone 5S. Galaxy all the way.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 2:48:33 PM
Ya I think objectively the S4 is a better phone and android a better OS but if you're an apple product person you'd might as well stick with the iphone.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 7:39:39 AM
At 8/19/2013 2:48:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Ya I think objectively the S4 is a better phone and android a better OS but if you're an apple product person you'd might as well stick with the iphone.

This.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 12:05:30 PM
At 8/19/2013 10:49:37 AM, Jordan56 wrote:
Which one should I get. I'm a total Apple person. Currently own a macbook pro, an IPod touch, an IPad, and a magic mouse from Apple. The current phone I have is the Samsung Galaxy S3 on TMobile, only because at the time IPhone wasn't being offered by TMobile so I settled with the GS3. Now I need a new phone cause I accidently dropped it, screen cracked, and it got extremely glitchy.

So which phone should I get. The only thing that's holding me back from the iPhone 5 is the fact that it looks exactly like my IPod touch with a phone feature. So there really isn't much difference to me. And I don't know, there is just something about the S4 that I don't really like. Just doesn't feel new to me. Any suggestions.

If you want to go for an over priced small sized phone that you can not change the battery or add additional memory to and is designed as a phone for dummies then go for the iphone. If you want a grown up phone then go for the S4.

Really the only thing apple has going for it is continued support for OS updates as the phone gets older.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 2:17:50 PM
At 8/22/2013 12:05:30 PM, slo1 wrote:

If you want to go for an over priced small sized phone that you can not change the battery or add additional memory to and is designed as a phone for dummies then go for the iphone. If you want a grown up phone then go for the S4.

Really the only thing apple has going for it is continued support for OS updates as the phone gets older.

Whoa whoa whoa, the iPhone also has its looks.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 4:02:03 PM
At 8/22/2013 2:17:50 PM, muzebreak wrote:

For a guy who is starting to wear glasses, it is too small for me to see anything resembling, "looks".

Plus when people put a case on it, it looks like a brick. Everyone says they like the metal chassis of an iphone, but I'll take a space tech thin polycarbonate chassis any day.

I suppose if one wanted to type a message on the screen of an iphone and through it through the window of one's archenemy, it would at least save him the cost of a brick.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 4:10:07 PM
At 8/22/2013 4:02:03 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 8/22/2013 2:17:50 PM, muzebreak wrote:

For a guy who is starting to wear glasses, it is too small for me to see anything resembling, "looks".

Plus when people put a case on it, it looks like a brick. Everyone says they like the metal chassis of an iphone, but I'll take a space tech thin polycarbonate chassis any day.

I was only joking, I'm with you on this one. I much prefer the look of the galaxy s series, the note, or the Xperias.

I suppose if one wanted to type a message on the screen of an iphone and through it through the window of one's archenemy, it would at least save him the cost of a brick.

I loled.

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 6:59:45 PM

I brought the S4 yesterday cause it was more convenient and a different piece of technology compared to the other stuff I have. But I do have to comment on the above statement.

In regards to a removable battery, Apple has made it so that you are given a long battery life that doesn't die with each charge. Because of how the iPhone works I wouldn't have to remove the battery every waking minute for reboots or replacement such as the Android counterpart. The iPhone succeeds because we don't have to remove the battery.

Also, for the price you are paying for what you get. The iPhone comes with up to 64GB which you wouldn't get on an Android unless you brought some lousy external card. You are also paying for a heavy-duty phone made of some good quality aluminum rather than the cheap plastic you get with the galaxy. So in the end I am willing to pay extra for the quality. (ex. if you wanted a to pay for a cheap motel, that is what you will get but naturally you are going to pay more for a better quality, 5 star hotel that in the end will give you a better experience.)
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 7:23:17 PM
At 8/22/2013 6:59:45 PM, Jordan56 wrote:

I brought the S4 yesterday cause it was more convenient and a different piece of technology compared to the other stuff I have. But I do have to comment on the above statement.

In regards to a removable battery, Apple has made it so that you are given a long battery life that doesn't die with each charge. Because of how the iPhone works I wouldn't have to remove the battery every waking minute for reboots or replacement such as the Android counterpart. The iPhone succeeds because we don't have to remove the battery.

Apple claims the iPhone 5 has a capability of lasting ten hours watching a video, the same as the 4s. Independent studies disagree that it's as battery efficient as the 4s.

The s4, on the other hand, can last for aproximately 13 hours of video usage. And, from personal experience, you can get 20 hours of music play time out of it. The reason people like the removable battery is not because they expect their phone is going to die. It's because they want to be able to deal with it if it does. What happens if you forget to plug your iPhone in to charge the night before. You go to work with a dead iPhone, that's what.

Also, for the price you are paying for what you get. The iPhone comes with up to 64GB which you wouldn't get on an Android unless you brought some lousy external card.

The s4, along wi all other high end smart phones, come in a 64gb internal memory version. The difference is that canbe expanded to 120, unlike with the iPhone.

You are also paying for a heavy-duty phone made of some good quality aluminum rather than the cheap plastic you get with the galaxy.

I wouldn't callee the plastic cheap. But, I would agree that an aluminium body would be better.

So in the end I am willing to pay extra for the quality. (ex. if you wanted a to pay for a cheap motel, that is what you will get but naturally you are going to pay more for a better quality, 5 star hotel that in the end will give you a better experience.)

Here, you should read this article. It is the most indepth comparison I have seen between the two phones.

http://www.gizmag.com...

Jordan56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 7:45:02 PM
Apple claims the iPhone 5 has a capability of lasting ten hours watching a video, the same as the 4s. Independent studies disagree that it's as battery efficient as the 4s.

The s4, on the other hand, can last for aproximately 13 hours of video usage. And, from personal experience, you can get 20 hours of music play time out of it. The reason people like the removable battery is not because they expect their phone is going to die. It's because they want to be able to deal with it if it does. What happens if you forget to plug your iPhone in to charge the night before. You go to work with a dead iPhone, that's what.

Ok, I will have to agree with part of this. But honestly, I've never seen or heard of one person that carries around a spare battery just in case the used one dies. I guess its a nice option to have but I feel like people are also just coming up with a lazy excuse as to why the phone battery should be removable. If that's the case everyone with a phone with a removable battery should be carrying around spares.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 7:52:22 PM
At 8/22/2013 7:45:02 PM, Jordan56 wrote:

Ok, I will have to agree with part of this. But honestly, I've never seen or heard of one person that carries around a spare battery just in case the used one dies. I guess its a nice option to have but I feel like people are also just coming up with a lazy excuse as to why the phone battery should be removable. If that's the case everyone with a phone with a removable battery should be carrying around spares.

I know, off hand, 3 people who carry spare batteries with them at all times. Most people just don't care enough to do it, and others simply can't be bothered to spend the 30-40$ it would cost for a spare battery.

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2013 10:21:59 AM
At 8/22/2013 6:59:45 PM, Jordan56 wrote:

Not true if you want to own it for more than two years. I can get a new Samsung battery for $14 and replace it myself. How much does it cost to replace an iphone battery.

Also, for the price you are paying for what you get. The iPhone comes with up to 64GB which you wouldn't get on an Android unless you brought some lousy external card. You are also paying for a heavy-duty phone made of some good quality aluminum rather than the cheap plastic you get with the galaxy. So in the end I am willing to pay extra for the quality. (ex. if you wanted a to pay for a cheap motel, that is what you will get but naturally you are going to pay more for a better quality, 5 star hotel that in the end will give you a better experience.)

Aluminum is all a benefit which is a value of perception. It has no real tangible value relative to its cost. The "cheap plastic" is almost as good for protection and it weights much less.
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:05:03 PM
But why is it only these two? There are better ones.

The HTC One has a better screen and a better processer.

If you're a big photographer, than you definately want a Nokia Lumia 1021 with its one of a kind 41 megapixel camera.
The Nokia Lumia 928 also has a good camera and is a lighter and cheaper choice.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 10:08:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...