Jump to topic:

So, my computer crapped itself...

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2013 11:17:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think it's a HDD bad disk sector problem. Try to restore, or try to put in new HDD? (it's a compact laptops....I think replacing will be a PITA)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2013 1:16:53 AM
If you have a backup or don't need the data, I'd say replace the drive. Replacing a laptop drive is usually not too difficult. The big problem may be getting the case open. Some laptops are a real challenge. Try to find a video on the web or instructions for your computer.

Reformatting the drive will mark off the bad sector, but my experience is that the problem is usually a lot worse than a single bad spot. You can probably boot from an external USB drive or from a CD, and then try to fix the disk. It's probably a long shot, sad to say.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2013 1:22:55 AM
At 8/24/2013 1:16:53 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
If you have a backup or don't need the data, I'd say replace the drive. Replacing a laptop drive is usually not too difficult. The big problem may be getting the case open. Some laptops are a real challenge. Try to find a video on the web or instructions for your computer.

Reformatting the drive will mark off the bad sector, but my experience is that the problem is usually a lot worse than a single bad spot. You can probably boot from an external USB drive or from a CD, and then try to fix the disk. It's probably a long shot, sad to say.

Yeah, I figured. I was just curious on the experiences of folks in terms of "how likely is it that its about to fully crap out".

Stupid m11x...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2013 1:48:26 AM
At 8/24/2013 1:43:32 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
My experience is that there is little hope. Cheers.

Lol, something about the negative prognosis and the "cheers" juxtaposition is hilarious
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2013 1:49:12 AM
But seriously, thanks. The input is influencing tomorrows errands.