Why the Trend in Bad GUI?

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 8:21:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
For some weird reason, all the tech companies are doing these things:

1. Put grey text on white back ground, which not only decreases readability, but also increases electricity usage. Binge text on black background FTW.

2. Make their icons one dimensional squares with a crappy paper-cutout style picture on it (I heard Win 8 is like this). This makes the icons hard to tell apart and really ugly.

3. Connect all the functional regions into one giant (I mean it's about 20 times the actual screen size) connected quilt instead of pages or distinct lists, which makes it impossible to navigate to the right part of the interface.

4. Make everything expand or push around when you mouse over (DDO is doing this), which causes massive lag and makes clicking or tapping on the thing that you want to a huge hassle.

5. Make these extremely annoying window animations whenever you try to get somewhere. This causes extreme screen lag and may even freeze the device for a few seconds. It's also a slow wait as opposed to the "screen flashes and your window appears" thing.

These are also my complaints about iOS 7.

Honestly, I prefer Command Prompt to all these incredibly shytty new "innovations".
0x5f3759df
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 9:53:17 PM
I agree with all of that. Screw the animations and flashy design! I want something that works fast and raw.

I dislike the fade in/out of the sleep button in iOS 7. I don't have it, but I wonder if there is an option to turn it off.

Windows 8, which I currently have as my Windows operating system, wastes so much space and resources for the tiled start screen. It's ridiculous.

Give me command line and I'll love it!
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 6:30:31 PM
At 9/20/2013 9:53:17 PM, mathdebator wrote:
I agree with all of that. Screw the animations and flashy design! I want something that works fast and raw.

I dislike the fade in/out of the sleep button in iOS 7. I don't have it, but I wonder if there is an option to turn it off.

Windows 8, which I currently have as my Windows operating system, wastes so much space and resources for the tiled start screen. It's ridiculous.

you realize that when windows 9 comes out you will love it sooooooooooooooo much
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 3:55:11 PM
At 9/21/2013 6:30:31 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 9/20/2013 9:53:17 PM, mathdebator wrote:

you realize that when windows 9 comes out you will love it sooooooooooooooo much

Fvck that and most other types of Windows, just give me XP back. It's basically dinosaur technology now, but it did what it needed to without being horribly weird and I appreciate that.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 12:57:07 PM
Software companies have to give the consumer a good reason to pay lots of money for the next version of their product. Since operating systems are becoming so mature, there is very little they can do now other than say, "We made it look different so buy it". Like a previous poster said, XP was great but if MS did the seemingly rational thing and continued selling XP, they would stop making money since everyone already had it at some point. It's really all very silly.

My advice is to try to get off corporate operating systems and use Linux. There is some of the eyecandy-over-functionality in Linux distros (like Ubuntu) but it's easy to opt out of. Plus Linux it's free, of course.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it