Jump to topic:

Which is the best OS for gaming?

NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 5:32:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Which is the best operating system for gaming. I am talking the operating system in itself, so factors like most games are made for windows don't matter. Sorry if this has already been addressed and if it has please post a link.
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:49:23 PM
I'm running windows 8, which plays most of my games. Windows 7 would probably be recommend since windows 8 is newer and some games will not be compatible, even if you change the compatibility of the exe under properties.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 10:19:00 AM
yeah go for windows 7 thats what i have
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 7:50:51 AM
At 10/10/2013 5:32:00 PM, NotReallySmart wrote:
Which is the best operating system for gaming. I am talking the operating system in itself, so factors like most games are made for windows don't matter. Sorry if this has already been addressed and if it has please post a link.

This basically means compatibility -_____-
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

- Bernard of Clairvaux
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 6:13:06 PM
If we ignore compatibility, what grounds would you want to determine what OS is "better"?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 6:13:48 PM
Windows 8 scores better on benchmarks. No significant contrast to Win7, but it's there nonetheless. Not sure about compatibility - I think newer games are just finely suited. I refrain from upgrading to Win8 due to the start screen.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2013 6:19:23 PM
At 10/15/2013 6:13:48 PM, Mirza wrote:
Windows 8 scores better on benchmarks. No significant contrast to Win7, but it's there nonetheless. Not sure about compatibility - I think newer games are just finely suited. I refrain from upgrading to Win8 due to the start screen.

Win 8 may score better than Mac on benchmarks, but I highly doubt it beats Linux, if only because "Linux" has a huge variety of possible flavors, allowing more customization for specific hardware needs. (And it's got Steam now). Compatibility is an issue, but the OP asked us to ignore that.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2013 6:13:35 AM
At 10/15/2013 6:13:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
If we ignore compatibility, what grounds would you want to determine what OS is "better"?

I dunno XD

I guess how well the OS actually works, how lag-proof it is, how well it recieves internet? I'm guessing all of those factors have to do with hardware, but there must be something that affects gameplay OS wise that has to do with the OS itself.

- Bernard of Clairvaux
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 8:09:38 PM
WINE makes compatibility irrelevant. Go for a Linux flavour, Ubuntu if you're not used to Linux.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 9:02:29 PM
At 10/17/2013 8:09:38 PM, muzebreak wrote:
WINE makes compatibility irrelevant. Go for a Linux flavour, Ubuntu if you're not used to Linux.

I could never get WINE to work with games.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2013 9:07:27 PM
At 10/17/2013 8:09:38 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Although I haven't tried it on my newer computer, my older one had an outdated graphics card, which could have been the problem. I wouldn't recommend Linux mainly because it's so foreign to what people are use to

NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 5:30:33 AM
Note: I am not about to get a computer or laptop. I was simply curious.

- Bernard of Clairvaux
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2013 7:36:37 PM
I'm not a big hardware person or extensively used anything other than Windows, so I wouldn't really know exactly what's better, but here's my perspective:

Windows is pretty nice. It runs, but crashes a lot. It might crash or freeze 1 out of 10 times when you start a game. But it'll run them OK depending on your actual processor.

Macs are less crashy. Macs are built around simplicity, so when they run their own software they are really good, but if you try to port something else to it it'll start giving lots of frame lag. So low-rez games for Macs.

No idea for Linux. I know you said compatibility doesn't matter but I really don't see how it doesn't matter when considering the bare minimum amount of games available for Linux OS.

Finally, gaming isn't just about the OS. The OS only has a very limited amount to do with gaming. What you really want is a good processor (Intel works consistently better for the same specs than AMD, though it is more expensive), 2 cores or more, and a good graphics card. The graphics card I use is just the Raedon that came with the computer, but I heard there are much better ones.
0x5f3759df
Steffmathew
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 4:46:44 AM
I must say that window 7 is the best operating system today. I am using this OS that"s why I suggested to use windows 7. It has also allowed xbox game to play. And thing that I like the most on it is that a logo of window7 gaming: http://www.logodesignpros.co.uk...
SCHUMAN8R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 12:52:33 PM
Windows 7 every time. Windows 8 can work but it really depends on the games you will be playing. If you are going for older games it might not work. If you are getting your games off of steam they will most likely work for windows 7 and 8.
Can't touch this!