Jump to topic:

Does a fan and cool air AC vent help?

Adam2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 6:16:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What I mean is this, I have centralized AC in my home. When the airvent gives off cool air, I turn on the fan as well, cause I have a fan. Does it help cool off the room?
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:18:14 PM
At 10/14/2013 6:16:03 PM, Adam2 wrote:
What I mean is this, I have centralized AC in my home. When the airvent gives off cool air, I turn on the fan as well, cause I have a fan. Does it help cool off the room?

Probobly,but AC should be enough no?
I believe the way that a fan works is that it causes air to move, thus "blowing away" your body heat which emits and surrounds your body. Or something like that. I'm sure you can Google it.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:21:32 PM
A fan does not lower the temperature. The myth is that by spreading the air, the temperature will fall. The opposite happens - in a closed room, the fan will heat it because of the heat emission from its engine. There is a cooling effect on a person, but the overall temperature will not fall. If the windows are open, the fan can blow the hot air out and thus lower the temperature.

Air conditioning uses a completely different mechanic for cooling than a normal fan. It's also a fan of too much electricity.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:25:16 PM
At 10/14/2013 11:21:32 PM, Mirza wrote:
A fan does not lower the temperature. The myth is that by spreading the air, the temperature will fall. The opposite happens - in a closed room, the fan will heat it because of the heat emission from its engine. There is a cooling effect on a person, but the overall temperature will not fall. If the windows are open, the fan can blow the hot air out and thus lower the temperature.

Air conditioning uses a completely different mechanic for cooling than a normal fan. It's also a fan of too much electricity.

Generally correct, but I'd wonder if the motion of the air would encourage the even distribution of the cooler air, which might prevent the whole "cooler by the thermostat than in the room proper" problem, and might encourage the thermostat to keep going to offset the fan. I don't actually KNOW that, but it seems plausible? In my house the termostat is in a hallway and awful close to an exhaust vent, which seems (to me) to leave the living room warmer than it should be; a ceiling fan and a box fan seem to help.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:26:28 PM
At 10/14/2013 11:25:16 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Generally correct, but I'd wonder if the motion of the air would encourage the even distribution of the cooler air, which might prevent the whole "cooler by the thermostat than in the room proper" problem, and might encourage the thermostat to keep going to offset the fan. I don't actually KNOW that, but it seems plausible? In my house the termostat is in a hallway and awful close to an exhaust vent, which seems (to me) to leave the living room warmer than it should be; a ceiling fan and a box fan seem to help.
All it does it blow the heat away from one point, but theoretically does nothing to lower the overall temperature in a room.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:28:24 PM
At 10/14/2013 11:26:28 PM, Mirza wrote:
All it does it blow the heat away from one point, but theoretically does nothing to lower the overall temperature in a room.

Definitely true. I was just thinking of thermal distribution, thermostat function, and the interplay between the two...but I hope it didn't seem I was disagreeing with that point.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:29:47 PM
At 10/14/2013 11:28:24 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 10/14/2013 11:26:28 PM, Mirza wrote:

Definitely true. I was just thinking of thermal distribution, thermostat function, and the interplay between the two...but I hope it didn't seem I was disagreeing with that point.
All good mejt.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2013 11:46:11 PM
As people have said, a fan will even the temperature throughout the room. If the thermostat is in a part of the room that is warmer than with the fan off, then evening the distribution will raise the average temperature. If the thermostat is, say, right below the A/C vent the rest of the room would ordinarily be too warm and a fan will lower the average.

The fan motor theoretically generates heat, but it's probably negligible.

Fans also cool by increasing the evaporation of sweat. Evaporation is cooling.

The big deal is in the winter when you are heating. Hot air rises, so a lot of the heat goes to the ceiling. Particularly with high ceilings, that wastes energy. So running fan in the winter can saves energy.

Fans are good.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2013 12:12:42 AM
At 10/14/2013 6:16:03 PM, Adam2 wrote:

The fan will not lower the actual temperature in the room, but it will help lower the temperature of your body by facilitating more efficient evaporation of perspiration. It also feels good. :)