Jump to topic:

Operating System

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 10:47:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So I need to buy an operating system for a laptop my wonderful girlfriend is gifting me with :)

I've heard a lot of people talk about how wonderful Linux is and how I should give it a try. I've used Macs before, so I'm use to them as well. I have been using Windows for the past 4 years, though.

What Operating System would you guys recommend me investing in?
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
deathdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 10:49:28 PM
Windows 7 hands down. Check and see if your college offers it free/at a huge discount. Students can buy windows 7 for 30 bucks at my school or if they are taking a free computer course they can download it and burn it to a disk free using MSDNAA
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2010 10:53:40 PM
At 1/4/2010 10:47:20 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
So I need to buy an operating system for a laptop my wonderful girlfriend is gifting me with :)
>Buying an operating system
laughingelfman.jpg

Seriously, if you're proficient with computers at all you should be fine with Linux, especially if you go with one of the easier-to-learn distributions. I personally recommend Xubuntu.

Otherwise, just plunder a different operating system.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 6:38:56 AM
I've heard good things about Linux, but I'd take Windows 7 at the moment.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 9:15:34 AM
At 1/5/2010 7:14:04 AM, deathdebater wrote:
At 1/4/2010 10:53:40 PM, omelet wrote:
Linux,
easier-to-learn distributions

BWAHAHA

I don't see what's so funny about that. It all depends on what you want the OS to do. For a typical PC I would only recommend Windows because it's the OS of n00bs. It does anything you want it to without you having to think about it, but with 1000000 times more overhead. And God help you if you should want to customize any part of how Windows runs, it'll sh!t its pants and explode before you even realize what happened.

I'd say go with Windows 7 as long as you don't plan on doing anything crazy with it / any kind of low-level programming (which I'll say is a pretty safe bet).
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2010 4:30:31 PM
At 1/10/2010 9:15:34 AM, MikeLoviN wrote:
Linux,

BWAHAHA

if you should want to customize any part of how Windows runs, it'll sh!t its pants and explode before you even realize what happened.

LOL what Windows Distro are you using?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 6:41:42 AM
I take comp science so i use Red hat Linux. Its not bad, but i prefer it over Windows. I have 2 OSs, one drive for Linux and hte other for Windows because i like to play games which have a better compatibility with Windows.

If youre not into customizing your laptop or using it for more hardcore work related stuff, go with Windows, its the noob-friendliest OS ever. But if you prefer reliability, go with Mac OSX. Word of advice though, you should check your specs before you go with Windows 7. If your comp sucks, windows 7 will suck too.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:29:23 PM
At 1/11/2010 6:41:42 AM, tkubok wrote:
reliability, go with Mac OSX.
I think that an OS with a small user-base that gives malware writers no incentive for coding malware for it makes it somehow reliable.

Wow
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 12:35:35 PM
At 1/11/2010 12:29:23 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/11/2010 6:41:42 AM, tkubok wrote:
reliability, go with Mac OSX.
I think that an OS with a small user-base that gives malware writers no incentive for coding malware for it makes it somehow reliable.

Wow

Wow indeed. This changes the fact that im correct, how?
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2010 3:05:17 PM
Whether Mac OSX is inherently more secure or it just has security through obscurity, this has the same effect on end users - they're unlikely to get malware of any kind.

Though I have to say I'm a big fan of Plan 9.
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 1:01:01 PM
At 1/11/2010 3:05:17 PM, omelet wrote:
Whether Mac OSX is inherently more secure or it just has security through obscurity,
Security implies that the OS has been proactively protected, not that people just don't find it profitable to exploit those flaws.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 2:21:24 PM
At 1/12/2010 1:01:01 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/11/2010 3:05:17 PM, omelet wrote:
Whether Mac OSX is inherently more secure or it just has security through obscurity,
Security implies that the OS has been proactively protected, not that people just don't find it profitable to exploit those flaws.

Which changes nothing for the end-user advantage.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 7:26:50 PM
At 1/10/2010 4:30:31 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/10/2010 9:15:34 AM, MikeLoviN wrote:
Linux,

BWAHAHA

if you should want to customize any part of how Windows runs, it'll sh!t its pants and explode before you even realize what happened.

LOL what Windows Distro are you using?

I dual-boot XP with Ubuntu. In terms of customizing settings, that was a bit of an exaggeration but have you never blue-screened windows before? I do quite a bit of programming for school and running on Windows more often than not does nothing but slow execution to a practical stand-still with all of the "security" measures and other overhead. It's like killing a mosquito with a Soviet tank. For small applications running on a single PC, then Windows is generally Ok, but once you start multi-tasking and really trying to get the most out of the processor then you'll pretty soon start seeing inexplicable memory leaks left and right and sooner or later you'll be hit with the blue screen of death... for example: http://www.overclock.net...
Frodobaggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 9:07:12 PM
At 1/12/2010 7:26:50 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
have you never blue-screened windows before?
Yes once because this laptop 7 years old a part broke, I read the blue screen, replaced the broken part, and violia.

Most bluescreens occur because:

1. Hardware failure
2. Malware corrupts paging file/integral part of the OS
3. User deleted OS file
4. User incorrectly installed an OS update or updated an integral driver incorrectly.

For all of the above besides 1 PEBCAC

I do quite a bit of programming for school and running on Windows more often than not does nothing but slow execution to a practical stand-still with all of the "security" measures and other overhead.
You don't need "security measures" to protect your computer. Common Sense 2009 is guaranteed and has no load on your OS. Also simply because you can program doesn't mean you know anything about the internal workings of computers or Operating Systems for that matter.

It's like killing a mosquito with a Soviet tank. For small applications running on a single PC, then Windows is generally Ok, but once you start multi-tasking and really trying to get the most out of the processor then you'll pretty soon start seeing inexplicable memory leaks left and right
Maybe if you're still using Windows 95. For Windows 7 there are no svchost memory leaks. If you're having memory leaks its either due to poor programming or your infected with rootkits and one of those svchosts isn't a svchost.

and sooner or later you'll be hit with the blue screen of death... for example:
If you're computer stupid I agree. Mac is like a tricycle, its nice and steady and you won't fall off, but don't expect to pass 5 mph on it. Windows is like a motorcycle, if you're stupid you're computer will die, if you're intelligent you can get it going up to 60mph

Linux is like a motorcycle with rocket boosters on the back. Everything works flawlessly if you don't mind never playing games and typing commands in a command prompt. It's great for servers, but I fail to see its usage past server and to a couple computer nerds.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2010 7:19:39 PM
At 1/12/2010 9:07:12 PM, Frodobaggins wrote:
At 1/12/2010 7:26:50 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
I do quite a bit of programming for school and running on Windows more often than not does nothing but slow execution to a practical stand-still with all of the "security" measures and other overhead.
You don't need "security measures" to protect your computer. Common Sense 2009 is guaranteed and has no load on your OS. Also simply because you can program doesn't mean you know anything about the internal workings of computers or Operating Systems for that matter.

By "security measures" I was not referring to anti-virus software but rather the internal scheduling and memory-allocation algorithms of the OS itself (which are unavoidable). I hope you realize that there are negative consequences of the Windows NT kernel being nearly 100 times the size of a standard Linux or Unix one.

I may not be anywhere near an expert on the topic, but I have at least one university courses' experience being indoctrinated with the evils of Microsoft Windows. Granted our prof was an old fart who preached to us about the days of batch and time-multiplexed systems, you can't deny that Windows is prone to have way too much going on in the background without you doing much of anything.

Windows is like a motorcycle, if you're stupid you're computer will die, if you're intelligent you can get it going up to 60mph

If that motorcycle is prone to locked gears and brake failures, I'd agree with you.

Linux is like a motorcycle with rocket boosters on the back. Everything works flawlessly if you don't mind never playing games and typing commands in a command prompt. It's great for servers, but I fail to see its usage past server and to a couple computer nerds.

Modern Linux distributions have evolved past simple command prompts (i.e. look at Ubuntu and Debian). Obviously any sane person would know better than to try playing games on a Linux system, but that's part of what's nice about it. Linux doesn't give you any more than you need. Yes this makes it more useful for servers than for typical PCs but I was merely trying to point out that Windows isn't the only reasonable option. Which is why the first line of my initial post says that it depends on what you plan on using it for. God have mercy on your soul if you plan on deciphering the Win32 APIs.

Personally, I've just started to become fed up with Microsoft in general.
bigtree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 9:47:55 AM
Linux is awesome. I'm using it right now. But for everyday use, I don't really think its the best. Macs jjust suck, they have no functionality or capacity. I recommend Windows 7.