Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

OK Explain how this could possibly happen!

Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 12:05:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have a problem: I can't seem to create or maintain an account on at least two social networking sites from my computer. I am more astounded by it than frustrated, and just really can't physically see how it's possible. Listen to what happened and see if you can figure out how this can possibly make any sense.

Long story short, I needed to watch a football game where there was no TV so I went to a back-door website of some sort and got the game and watched it. At some point I had to download some stuff, and it started wreaking havoc on my computer. At about this time I was using a Plenty of Fish account, and I woke up one day and all of a sudden the site had no record of me (despite being in the middle of various conversations). Somehow my account got closed and completely deleted without possibility for recovery. I made a new account, and just as I got through the websites list of steps to see my created account, it was deleted automatically. The problem actually got worse and I can't even pick a username, it keeps telling me it has characters that can't be used. I also cannot make a Facebook account (DDO and OKCupid work fine though).

So I went somewhere else to create my account, and it worked fine. I came home and opened the account from my computer again and instantly deleted. I've tried using different browsers and even tried using a fake IP and nothing works. It would seem the software I downloaded was the problem but I did a complete factory restore on my system and that didn't fix it. Is this not utterly insane? What could be affecting my computer like this?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 6:06:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/4/2013 12:05:05 AM, Wren_cyborg wrote:
At some point I had to download some stuff

That should always be a warning sign. Always. Never install software from a random site. System restore is also not a guarantee to wipe a virus; once infected, you can never be totally certain a computer is free from malicious software.

Might be a cache issue with your browsers, unlikely, but still worth cleaning that out. You can try running a boot scan with free anti virus software like Avast, or use your Task Manager to see what processes are running - then do the tedious leg work of searching what each process is and hopefully identify what is running. From there just google the best way to remove it.
Wren_cyborg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2013 8:32:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/5/2013 6:06:46 AM, Puck wrote:
At some point I had to download some stuff

That should always be a warning sign. Always. Never install software from a random site. System restore is also not a guarantee to wipe a virus; once infected, you can never be totally certain a computer is free from malicious software.

Might be a cache issue with your browsers, unlikely, but still worth cleaning that out. You can try running a boot scan with free anti virus software like Avast, or use your Task Manager to see what processes are running - then do the tedious leg work of searching what each process is and hopefully identify what is running. From there just google the best way to remove it.

My system restore is supposed to take files from a protected partition on the hard drive and totally replace the existing files. That's a pernicious virus! Interesting that it's only function is to stop me from creating an account on POF and facebook... lucky I don't even use facebook (I was just randomly trying to find an old guitar-player of mine) and don't really care :P
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2013 8:50:52 AM
I have a problem: I can't seem to create or maintain an account on at least two social networking sites from my computer. I am more astounded by it than frustrated, and just really can't physically see how it's possible. Listen to what happened and see if you can figure out how this can possibly make any sense.

Long story short, I needed to watch a football game where there was no TV so I went to a back-door website of some sort and got the game and watched it. At some point I had to download some stuff, and it started wreaking havoc on my computer. At about this time I was using a Plenty of Fish account, and I woke up one day and all of a sudden the site had no record of me (despite being in the middle of various conversations). Somehow my account got closed and completely deleted without possibility for recovery. I made a new account, and just as I got through the websites list of steps to see my created account, it was deleted automatically. The problem actually got worse and I can't even pick a username, it keeps telling me it has characters that can't be used. I also cannot make a Facebook account (DDO and OKCupid work fine though).

So I went somewhere else to create my account, and it worked fine. I came home and opened the account from my computer again and instantly deleted. I've tried using different browsers and even tried using a fake IP and nothing works. It would seem the software I downloaded was the problem but I did a complete factory restore on my system and that didn't fix it. Is this not utterly insane? What could be affecting my computer like this?

Seems to me you know the answer to your question. Now all that is left is to know the virus and how to decode and destroy it or get a new hard drive and operating system if anti virus software can't get rid of it. You could as a last resort before buying a new hard drive return your computer to day one (Extreme system restore) In the end it's a machine and like all machines it will break and fail and have to be replaced. The more you abuse it the quicker it will fail. In your case, opening websites with questionable security certificates.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
TheBigF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2013 5:50:33 AM
That's some weird virus! 0_o
- Official "'Shinigami" of the FREEDO bureaucracy.
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov.
Gold
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2013 1:21:47 PM
Have you attempted to diagnose the problem with a program like Hijack This, Malewarebytes, ESET Scanner, Adwcleaner, or Old Timer's List-it?