Jump to topic:

Year 2100

KaileyFox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 7:22:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What do you think will be some technological advancements made by this time? Also, for this next part, consider a theory I have: By this time, not everything will be advanced, only certain things. Obviously computers, cars, medicine, and other things of the like will be more developed because these are hot areas in science and technology, but do you think we will have made everything new and improved? This isn't meant to be a homework assignment, just a forum for fun discussion about far advanced tech :)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 10:01:30 AM
Given the world wide movement of self entitlement and the welfare state, there will be little money spent on advancement. Like you say, some things will advance, but those advancements will be in areas used to control people and their behavior. Not in the betterment of quality of life. (Opinion based on most recent advancements) We will go backwards as a society. Lawlessness and crime will be rampant.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 11:53:29 AM
At 1/25/2014 7:22:12 PM, KaileyFox wrote:
What do you think will be some technological advancements made by this time? Also, for this next part, consider a theory I have: By this time, not everything will be advanced, only certain things. Obviously computers, cars, medicine, and other things of the like will be more developed because these are hot areas in science and technology, but do you think we will have made everything new and improved? This isn't meant to be a homework assignment, just a forum for fun discussion about far advanced tech :)

No, many areas will not advance as we thought. It is important, when considering our future, to also consider our past and what we thought the future was going to be like before - how good were our predictions, and why? This video is excellent in that regard (see Disney's Magic Hwy).

https://www.youtube.com...

Imagine telling somebody, in 1969, that you were from the future and you were here to bust their bubble - to tell them that we haven't put a SINGLE person on the moon (or any other celestial object) in the last 50 years! That person would denounce you as a fraud, and tell you that, well before the 20th century was going to end, we were inevitably going to see more manned space explorations to the moon and other planets, mining and resource development throughout the solar system, and people living full-time in space (on the macro-scale, not just a handful of scientists). In a classic episode of Star Trek, the Enterprise encounters "an old freighter vessel from Earth's 1990s" which has strayed off course somewhere in a distant region of the galaxy. We thought we'd have interstellar commerce by now... Another movie I remember was Back to the Future, where Marty McFly jumps ahead to about now, and people are flying around on hovercraft.

You're right that certain "hot" areas will progress, while others will not. The main pattern that I see in technology is that of the energy-intensive versus the non-energy-intensive. Including my previous examples and the video I provided, the things we won't see are all the things which require lots of energy: rocket-ships to leave Earth's orbit, interstellar travel requiring energy for things like life-support and navigation, hovercraft which use energy to lift you above the ground, roads that are self-lit and self-heated to counter-act weather, etc. These things are all technically capable right now - but they will never enter the macro-scale for societal use because they are simply a matter of energy.

The principle of least action guides all biological functions, and now we are finding that it guides all technological functions as well. We won't have flying cars when the wheel can provide the energy to lift us above the ground without burning fuel. We won't be heating our roads to melt snow. We won't be leaving Earth's orbit on a regular basis, or trying to keep people alive out in space when it's so nice here on Earth.

We will, however, (continue to) advance in fantastic and unimaginable ways that don't require large amounts of energy. Computers and genetics are probably the main two I see affecting us in the future. We still have lots of potential left in those areas, and these technologies are "smart" as opposed to "powerful." In 50 years our car could probably drive itself around but it won't be as powerful as the average car we use today.

I also don't see a bright future for health and human biological advancement. We fight diseases in many new and exciting ways, but we seem to create a new disease for every one that we conquer. I work with children, and it is nothing short of horrific to think about all the pills/medicines these kids have to take. We seem to be weakening, physically and mentally, as we progress. Things like ADHD, Diabetes, Celiac's Disease, STDs, and heart disease are all alarmingly potent in our society despite our mastery of human biology. Every baby born today inherits 20-30 exotic chemicals in his or her body that a child of centuries-past would not have contained. While we "fight" bacteria and viruses, we seem to only make them stronger as we do. Sanitizer accelerates their evolutionary processes (how long until we create a super-strain of germs that are resistant?), and influenze always seems to be just another year away from mutating into a version that will bring about the next Black Death. In a certain sense, medical technology is engineering the precise opposite of what it's designed ends are to be.

I also don't see human cybernetics and other improvements going anywhere either. I think our brains are as advanced as they possibly can be, and any artificial improvements we make will cause more harm than good. While we could theoretically still evolve, our medical technology seems to be achieving the exact opposite - a removal of survival of the fittest replaced with survival of anyone and anything. It's safe to say our evolutionary processes have been completely destroyed, and a future like "Idiocracy" might be more real then we'd like to admit!

So yeah, I don't believe in the "Star Trek" idea of the future. No technological utopia, no cybernetics (although an android would be an interesting prospect), no interstellar travel, no ray-guns and powerful, flying vehicles. No Starships or anything else that uses lots of energy. I do find value in the "K-Pax" idea of travel, however, which is not energy-intensive. Perhaps if we understood consciousness better in the future, or could travel in virtual reality using informational methods, we could altogether escape the need to drag around our heavy bodies for the ride and remove the need for slow, energy-intensive, and life-supportive methods that are physically-impossible to work with. Even if I could instantaneously transport myself to another distant planet, I wouldn't survive long in this body. I'd need a perfect setting of atmospheric chemicals and temperature, and any germs I encounter would find me a perfect host as my antibodies would be ineffective at holding them off. I could find that the food there is tasty and enjoyable, just to find later that my body can't digest them (there is a left-handed and right-handed organic structure for matter, and we need the correct version to use it at all). My body wouldn't be designed for the gravity of that world, the length of its days and nights, and probably many other things I couldn't even anticipate.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 6:55:54 AM

- Will have mastered stem cells and have a personalized cure for many diseases. Focus will be on dna manipulation to eliminate disease outright. However with that said, who knows how bacteria and viruses will evolve. We may forever play that vaccination and anti-biotic game with nature by trying to stay just one step behind or ahead.

- Self driving cars. Owning one will be so wasteful as one can lease a vehicle trip by trip.

- Manufacturing will be done exclusively by automation. Maintenance of the automation will just be getting started to be executed by more automation. Design, marketing, finance, and other typical human based functions will be eyed as the next area that can be completely automated.

- Profit/money will still be the main motivator of human behavior. It will be extremely difficult to commit individual crimes due to the level of tracking of individuals. However, since full unemployment will be defined closer to 15% rather than 6% there will be a large amount of people who just don't care about the consequences and will continue to commit crime. Prisons will be full.

- Due to the automation of jobs and efficiency in R&D and design the new jobs created by the new technology will not keep ups with the jobs displaced, people will start talking about restricting population growth.

- The extremely wealthy will be able to start genetic therapy in addition to schooling for their kids to make them smarter, better looking, and other desirable traits. Since profit motive is still the dominant social driver it would be interesting to see if aggressiveness and other non-cooperative traits are genetically engineered in kids.

- Nano materials are fully developed. This means batteries that last a long time, clothing that keeps one warm and cool adjusting to body temp, money that can't be forged,

- Electronics will have merged with the human form to enhance cognitive ability such as memory. IE: record a face and pop up the persons name next time see him.

- lastly we continue to figure out how to show the wave particle duality by bigger and bigger items. After years of splatting a mouse though a slit against a wall we finally are able to shoot a mouse at the wall and get an interference pattern. Some guy in a cannon volunteers to be the first human shot through the slit. :)

- Exploration of solar system will be dwindling and eyes will start looking to produce space ship based colonization rather than solar system colonization, with the idea of a ship large enough to support thousands of generations of humans so they could reach another habitable planet. (Naw that really is not going to happen in 84 years, but a guy can dream)

86 years is a long time for technology these days, but one thing is for certain. No matter how far we progress there will still be more that we can discover/learn.

Fundamentally to close out the question, what gets developed is what makes the most money. Energy, power, transportation, medical, food, automation, etc are the areas that will continue to bring in big bucks and will be those that develop the fastest.

me personally, I'm just looking for a tomato at the grocery store that has flavor.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2014 8:12:35 AM

I think we're going to go back to the stone age
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 5:48:52 PM
At 1/29/2014 8:12:35 AM, Jonbonbon wrote:

I think we're going to go back to the stone age

I am with you. The stone age for sure. Rulers and peasants Complete tyranny
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2014 9:31:37 AM
There won't be full fledged flying cars
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 11:06:26 AM
I love slo1's post, especially that little bit at the end: "all I want is a tomato with some flavour" - so innocent! This is what I'm talking about how a belief in god is a good foundation for things. Kailey and slo1 look past their demise with ease, what with their having it all figured out. It's cute. Me, personally? I'm a pessimist, much like sadolite; only angrier, I'm thinking.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2014 11:11:32 AM
Interesting dude, sadolite - constantly rebuilding things, making them prettier, an artist. I'd say we're very alike, outside of my ambition far exceeding his.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 7:50:08 PM

Common technologies:

Energy weapons,
Gene therapies/enhancements,
Regenerative medicine,
Stealth cloaks,
"Sentient" AI,
Space elevators,
Space voyages to other planets,
Virtual reality,
Human-looking robots,
Cellular control,
Cyborgs.

Developing technologies:

Terraforming,
Light-speed spacecraft,
Transgenic technologies (changing from one species to another),
Gravity manipulation,
Wormholes,
Teleportation,
Black hole creation.

Unpredictable technologies:

Computer programs,
Time travel,
Mind control.

Unchanged technologies:

Pretty much anything else relating to the human condition.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 8:35:51 PM
Technological Singularity? Silicon Valley"s most-celebrated company " Google " works daily on building a giant brain that harnesses the thinking power of humans in order to surpass the thinking power of humans. At that point, the Singularity holds, human beings and machines will so effortlessly and elegantly merge that poor health, the ravages of old age and even death itself will all be things of the past. Some of the great minds of the 21st century seem to honestly believe that the Singularity itself (the point where computer software begins developing ever more complicated software all by itself, causing a "runaway effect") could be as close as 30 years. One of the biggest topics of late, spurred by the movie Her, is whether humans can actually fall in love with AI, prompting the rich to spend any amount to promote AI quality. I've been reading about this subject avidly for over a year. I wrote some emails to several scientists and was surprised at the number of answers I got. The only recurring problem I heard was that Moore's Law is beginning to reach it limits, but there are other forms of computing which do not require silicon chips...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 7:47:42 PM
At 2/7/2014 7:50:08 PM, Jack212 wrote:

Common technologies:

Energy weapons,

Doubt it. Battery technology shows no signs of major advancement in the future. There really is no great way to store this energy in a small device for discharge. Any attempt, at best, would yield a device that is highly unstable/radioactive and more dangerous to the user than the intended target. Also, I don't see a huge advantage to an energy-weapon user over a projectile weapon...

Gene therapies/enhancements,

Genetics, conversely, shows HUGE signs of future improvements. However I personally believe that we are going to find that gene manipulation has side-effects that make it not worth it, at least in the most major usages.

Regenerative medicine,

There is an interesting theory that human cells can be altered so that more resources are put into regenerative processes (maintenance) at the expense of reproduction and cell-division. It is thought that we could sacrifice our reproductive abilities in order to be more effective at healing. That was my interpretation of the literature. I have no doubt we'll be able to change the DNA appropriately, it's simply a matter of whether such altered DNA doesn't have other side-effects that make it impractical.

Stealth cloaks,

Like, transparent?

"Sentient" AI,

No way.

Space elevators,

Perhaps... it seems like an awful lot of work though. You'd be building something miles long, by constructing it molecule-by-molecule. If we can get a good process to make these ultra-strong/light materials, then it seems plausible.

So far we still haven't put another man on the moon since the 60s. You'd logically think that if we were progressing towards the goal of planetary travel, that moon-travel would show signs of picking up... I think we'll probably be able to get a person out to every planet in some fashion... maybe one-way trips with guaranteed death. But these will be very few and very far between, not mass-transit.

Virtual reality,

Definitely. Already do, we just need to make it better.

Human-looking robots,

That's not that big a stretch...

Cellular control,

Definitely - the issue is whether we will find it worth it (i.g., side-effects).

Cyborgs.

I used to be a big cyborg supporter, now I'm not so sure. We've had a cyborg in Canada for 25 years now (I think he still wears his helmet every day) but how far can this go? Again, even if we can bridge the gap between human and technology (I find it a pretty lofty goal) will it be practical? Will enhancing my memory with a hard drive raise many problems (e.g., potential for hax, biological side-effects, unhealthy lifestyle changes, etc.) that will make it simply not worth it?

Developing technologies:

Terraforming,

I'd rather let nature do most of the work...

Light-speed spacecraft,

No way.

Sounds like a side-effects nightmare.

Gravity manipulation,

Until the graviton is discovered, this is a shot in the dark. The graviton is very elusive...

Wormholes,

I personally don't believe wormholes are possible. There's too many relativistic nightmares revolving around it. If I escape my light-cone, am I going to travel backwards in time? Consider I have a telescope set up on mars looking at a spot on earth. have a wormhole connecting the two spots. If I jump through and go to mars, and then look through the telescope, I'll be watching myself through the telescope a few minutes before I left. If you think of light as simply cannonballs traveling between the two spots, then it's easy to just say that this effect is not worth worrying about. However, light has a much more intricate roll. Stephen Hawking seems to suggest that traveling somewhere faster than light speed necessarily puts you into your own past. Since I don't believe in time-travel, I don't believe in faster than light travel... at least not for physical matter.

Teleportation,

Same as above.

Black hole creation.

We haven't even confirmed that black holes exist empirically, even though it's hard to believe they don't. I can't imagine we will be able to harness them in the next century.

Computer programs,

I think programming will advance a lot.

Time travel,

No way, Jose. Relativistic nightmare.

Mind control.

We already have this, it's called marketing.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 8:08:26 PM
At 2/22/2014 7:47:42 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 2/7/2014 7:50:08 PM, Jack212 wrote:

Common technologies:

Energy weapons,

Doubt it. Battery technology shows no signs of major advancement in the future. There really is no great way to store this energy in a small device for discharge. Any attempt, at best, would yield a device that is highly unstable/radioactive and more dangerous to the user than the intended target. Also, I don't see a huge advantage to an energy-weapon user over a projectile weapon...

We already have primitive energy weapons, they're just really bulky and not practical for infantry use, as well as non-lethal.

Regenerative medicine,

There is an interesting theory that human cells can be altered so that more resources are put into regenerative processes (maintenance) at the expense of reproduction and cell-division. It is thought that we could sacrifice our reproductive abilities in order to be more effective at healing. That was my interpretation of the literature. I have no doubt we'll be able to change the DNA appropriately, it's simply a matter of whether such altered DNA doesn't have other side-effects that make it impractical.

That's not what it means at all. The ability to regenerate damaged tissue already exists, the chemical pathway is just suppressed in humans. Regeneration means MORE cell division, not less, because that's you regenerate missing parts. I don't see why it would affect our reproduction in any way, as the two are not connected.

Stealth cloaks,

Like, transparent?

Yes.

"Sentient" AI,

No way.

Explain your rebuttal, please.

Space elevators,

Perhaps... it seems like an awful lot of work though. You'd be building something miles long, by constructing it molecule-by-molecule. If we can get a good process to make these ultra-strong/light materials, then it seems plausible.

Yeah, I think space elevators are f*cking stupid, but people seem intent on building them.

So far we still haven't put another man on the moon since the 60s. You'd logically think that if we were progressing towards the goal of planetary travel, that moon-travel would show signs of picking up... I think we'll probably be able to get a person out to every planet in some fashion... maybe one-way trips with guaranteed death. But these will be very few and very far between, not mass-transit.

You're forgetting how fast technology advances in the course of 86 years.

Cyborgs.

I used to be a big cyborg supporter, now I'm not so sure. We've had a cyborg in Canada for 25 years now (I think he still wears his helmet every day) but how far can this go? Again, even if we can bridge the gap between human and technology (I find it a pretty lofty goal) will it be practical? Will enhancing my memory with a hard drive raise many problems (e.g., potential for hax, biological side-effects, unhealthy lifestyle changes, etc.) that will make it simply not worth it?

Doesn't matter if it's worth it, what matters is if people do it. People already piercings, sex changes and breast implants, and one could argue that none of those are worth it either.

Developing technologies:

Terraforming,

I'd rather let nature do most of the work...

Not your call though. These are predictions, not idealism.

Light-speed spacecraft,

No way.

86 years, remember? We've already got designs, by then we'll have the tech to start tinkering.

Sounds like a side-effects nightmare.

Yes.

Wormholes,

I personally don't believe wormholes are possible. There's too many relativistic nightmares revolving around it. If I escape my light-cone, am I going to travel backwards in time? Consider I have a telescope set up on mars looking at a spot on earth. have a wormhole connecting the two spots. If I jump through and go to mars, and then look through the telescope, I'll be watching myself through the telescope a few minutes before I left. If you think of light as simply cannonballs traveling between the two spots, then it's easy to just say that this effect is not worth worrying about. However, light has a much more intricate roll. Stephen Hawking seems to suggest that traveling somewhere faster than light speed necessarily puts you into your own past. Since I don't believe in time-travel, I don't believe in faster than light travel... at least not for physical matter.

If they're impossible, we'll find out soon enough.

Computer programs,

I think programming will advance a lot.

Yes, but it advances so quickly that we can't possibly predict what it will look like in 86 years.

Time travel,

No way, Jose. Relativistic nightmare.

Again, we'll find out soon enough. "Relativistic nightmare" doesn't mean "impossible".