Total Posts:59|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

should NASA be shut down?

Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 7:34:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Of course not. Nasa doesn't just do extremely expensive trips to the moon but also does things like putting satellites in orbit, something which is very useful to our society and used in many ways.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 2:56:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
NASA = Tons of cool stuff we wouldn't have otherwise. Besides, one day space will be a major tourist attraction, and on top of that needed to find a way to get off this dying rock.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 7:10:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Maybe privatise it.
Surely it can turn a profit from the satellite business?
It could put the contract for terraforming mars up for public auction. (it does not have the right too but who cares).

Unless we suddenly become a logical species space exploration/exploitation will be conducted by the corporations anyway.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 7:42:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/24/2010 7:10:11 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Maybe privatise it.
Surely it can turn a profit from the satellite business?
It could put the contract for terraforming mars up for public auction. (it does not have the right too but who cares).

Unless we suddenly become a logical species space exploration/exploitation will be conducted by the corporations anyway.

The problem with NASA is that it's not profitable. Their only products are space images, which don't fetch a high price. In reality it's the most expensive R&D department in history.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 8:33:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Nah...without NASA we'll have a repeat of the Cold War where the U.S. was freaked out by the launch of Sputnik. However, this time it will be us terrified that China is colonizing our moon =P.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 9:22:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/24/2010 7:42:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/24/2010 7:10:11 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Maybe privatise it.
Surely it can turn a profit from the satellite business?
It could put the contract for terraforming mars up for public auction. (it does not have the right too but who cares).

Unless we suddenly become a logical species space exploration/exploitation will be conducted by the corporations anyway.

The problem with NASA is that it's not profitable. Their only products are space images, which don't fetch a high price. In reality it's the most expensive R&D department in history.

Give it 40-100 years, commercial space flights, casinos on the moon, whaling trips to europa... who knows!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 9:35:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ha, you guys all read too much sci-fi. Panda is definitely right: everything involving space is incredibly expensive, so don't expect many new things to happen.

And as to "leaving this dying rock," I find that notion very silly. Consider this, even if the earth is dying, do you suppose that it could die more than the moon or mars is already dead?

If we went to the moon or mars to live there, we'd have to live inside controlled facilities which isolated us from the outside. If the Earth somehow got so bad that we could not be exposed to the outside whatsoever, we could still live inside controlled facilities except on earth.

To say "hey, this planet is getting bad. Let's go to somewhere a thousand times worse" is thinking in terms not of practicality but what sounds the coolest in a movie.
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 9:40:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Oh yeah, and about terraforming mars... that is financially and technololgically almost certain not to happen. We can't even manage to fix all of the (relatively) tiny problems we've created on our own planet. I don't see how we could completely construct a working, habitable ecosystem on another planet.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 9:44:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/24/2010 9:40:35 AM, Harlan wrote:
Oh yeah, and about terraforming mars... that is financially and technololgically almost certain not to happen.

Bah I disagree!

We can't even manage to fix all of the (relatively) tiny problems we've created on our own planet.

What problems?

I don't see how we could completely construct a working, habitable ecosystem on another planet.

Then don't bid for the rights!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 9:47:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/24/2010 9:44:40 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/24/2010 9:40:35 AM, Harlan wrote:

We can't even manage to fix all of the (relatively) tiny problems we've created on our own planet.

What problems?

Desertification.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 9:51:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
We can't even manage to fix all of the (relatively) tiny problems we've created on our own planet.

What problems?

Pollution of soil, water, and atmosphere. We're causing a mass extinction all around the globe. We are changing the face of the earth to put cities and things where there should ideally be forests to create oxygen. Problems which have made our environment incrementally less habitable.

I don't see how we could completely construct a working, habitable ecosystem on another planet.

Then don't bid for the rights!

What I'm saying is that nobody will, and that if they do, they will fail terribly in trying to accomplish it.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 12:10:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/24/2010 9:51:27 AM, Harlan wrote::
I don't see how we could completely construct a working, habitable ecosystem on another planet.

Then don't bid for the rights!

What I'm saying is that nobody will, and that if they do, they will fail terribly in trying to accomplish it.

But I bought timeshares on eBay!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 11:43:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/24/2010 9:47:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/24/2010 9:44:40 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/24/2010 9:40:35 AM, Harlan wrote:

We can't even manage to fix all of the (relatively) tiny problems we've created on our own planet.

What problems?

Desertification.

Not hard to solve at actually, when the market forces shift then it will be dealt with, until then it is not in global terms a problem.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 11:47:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/24/2010 9:51:27 AM, Harlan wrote:
We can't even manage to fix all of the (relatively) tiny problems we've created on our own planet.

What problems?

Pollution of soil, water, and atmosphere. We're causing a mass extinction all around the globe. We are changing the face of the earth to put cities and things where there should ideally be forests to create oxygen. Problems which have made our environment incrementally less habitable.


Apart from the pollution, even for which there are solutions, you have extrapolated too far from your subjective tastes. If our food production continues in the face of these mass extinctions then they were not a problem, people are not suffocating due to an absence of trees, and the world continues to support a growing population.

I don't see how we could completely construct a working, habitable ecosystem on another planet.

Then don't bid for the rights!

What I'm saying is that nobody will, and that if they do, they will fail terribly in trying to accomplish it.

More intelligent people than you disagree, and I like that vision!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 12:32:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/24/2010 7:42:29 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/24/2010 7:10:11 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Maybe privatise it.
Surely it can turn a profit from the satellite business?
It could put the contract for terraforming mars up for public auction. (it does not have the right too but who cares).

Unless we suddenly become a logical species space exploration/exploitation will be conducted by the corporations anyway.

The problem with NASA is that it's not profitable.
I.e. it costs more than people are willing to pay for it i.e. people don't value it over their own money, only other people's money.

Nah...without NASA we'll have a repeat of the Cold War where the U.S. was freaked out by the launch of Sputnik.
Depends WHY we get rid of NASA. If it's gotten rid of because it's an idiotic government venture, then we'll simply laugh at the governments who do spend on it.

If some private sector fellow wants to invest in space, that's his problem. Unless he invents some hellafreakin awesome technology I'll be laughing at him first. But try not to invest mine.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 4:52:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/24/2010 11:47:31 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/24/2010 9:51:27 AM, Harlan wrote:
We can't even manage to fix all of the (relatively) tiny problems we've created on our own planet.

What problems?

Pollution of soil, water, and atmosphere. We're causing a mass extinction all around the globe. We are changing the face of the earth to put cities and things where there should ideally be forests to create oxygen. Problems which have made our environment incrementally less habitable.


Apart from the pollution, even for which there are solutions, you have extrapolated too far from your subjective tastes. If our food production continues in the face of these mass extinctions then they were not a problem, people are not suffocating due to an absence of trees, and the world continues to support a growing population.

My point is that these problems, as you clearly outline, are laughably insignificant compared to the terraformation of a completely uninhabitable planet, yet we have been unable to succesfully control these things because of our own recklesness. You're completely missing the point by citing that we are producing food and having a growing population. That really has nothing to do with what I'm saying at all.

Then don't bid for the rights!

What I'm saying is that nobody will, and that if they do, they will fail terribly in trying to accomplish it.

More intelligent people than you disagree, and I like that vision!

Oh, damn, what a great argument you have pulled out of your sleeve like that. Other people disagree with me. There's absolutely no way that I can respond in the face of such godlike wisdom: you have successfully demonstrated that an attempt to terraform an uninhabitable planet will be perfectly successful.

***

Oh yeah, and you haven't addressed the fact that terraforming another place would be completely useless because we have a giant planet right here that is not conceivably going to become less habitable or harder to terraform than mars or the moon. If we were able to (we won't be able to) terraform another planet, couldn't we terraform our own planet so we wouldn't have to leave?
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 9:11:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/25/2010 4:52:34 PM, Harlan wrote:
Oh yeah, and you haven't addressed the fact that terraforming another place would be completely useless because we have a giant planet right here that is not conceivably going to become less habitable or harder to terraform than mars or the moon. If we were able to (we won't be able to) terraform another planet, couldn't we terraform our own planet so we wouldn't have to leave?

sure but what about the case where the earth is overcrowded (literally- not enough space) or we run out of a specific resource? or hell, even if the earth is a perfectly nice place to live, why should we just stay here if we want to expand?

more than terraforming though, i would worry about getting mars to hold a decent atmosphere... i think that would screw all of our efforts. giant greenhouses would do but it wouldn't be nearly as exciting :(
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Sky_ace25
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 5:49:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Eventually, we are going to have to leave Earth, because their is enough proof to show that the Earth is either going to be hit by some "x" thing, swallowed up by the sun, sun go big bang and we lose our heat source. Eventually, Earth is no longer going to be inhabitable for humans, so to shut off our long-term life line would be kind of dumb.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
ournamestoolong
Posts: 1,059
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 5:50:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
NASA should start looking for more efficient fuels for rockets. Otherwise, it is a waste. (Other than sattellites)
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 5:53:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The millions of the people that use DishTV or Dish Network probably wouldn't be happy if NASA didn't make the contributions that it did.

But I must agree with the previous post, that NASA should begin focusing on cheaper methods of space travel.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2010 9:52:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
An elevator may be an alternative to rockets http://www.cnn.com...

As technology advances, eventually spave exploration and colonization could be paid or as entertainment, but I don' think we should wait that long. I think the main economic incentive now lies with large solar power stations in space. Also, we really want climate control, a reflector about 3% of earth's disk would do it, and it could be adjusted for heating or cooling.
theitalianstallion
Posts: 1,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 7:53:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/23/2010 6:30:56 PM, Kahvan wrote:
Should NASA be closed down?

No. It does a whole lot more for the world than people realize. Besides, I want to be the first man on Mars and I'd rather do that with an American, not Russian, crew.
When Reach fell, I came.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 8:20:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/26/2010 7:53:27 AM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 1/23/2010 6:30:56 PM, Kahvan wrote:
Should NASA be closed down?

No. It does a whole lot more for the world than people realize. Besides, I want to be the first man on Mars and I'd rather do that with an American, not Russian, crew.

Really? So youd rather have an american with an IQ of 90 and barely passed high school, beside you, rather than a russian who graduated MIT with honours and is the foremost expert in orbital mechanics?

And, when you run into trouble, what will you ask your american friend to do? He can barely do math.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 8:42:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/26/2010 8:20:59 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 3/26/2010 7:53:27 AM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 1/23/2010 6:30:56 PM, Kahvan wrote:
Should NASA be closed down?

No. It does a whole lot more for the world than people realize. Besides, I want to be the first man on Mars and I'd rather do that with an American, not Russian, crew.

Really? So youd rather have an american with an IQ of 90 and barely passed high school, beside you, rather than a russian who graduated MIT with honours and is the foremost expert in orbital mechanics?

And, when you run into trouble, what will you ask your american friend to do? He can barely do math.

I wasn't aware that Amer. astronauts were all so dumb... Maybe I CAN do it.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 9:00:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/26/2010 8:42:35 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/26/2010 8:20:59 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 3/26/2010 7:53:27 AM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 1/23/2010 6:30:56 PM, Kahvan wrote:
Should NASA be closed down?

No. It does a whole lot more for the world than people realize. Besides, I want to be the first man on Mars and I'd rather do that with an American, not Russian, crew.

Really? So youd rather have an american with an IQ of 90 and barely passed high school, beside you, rather than a russian who graduated MIT with honours and is the foremost expert in orbital mechanics?

And, when you run into trouble, what will you ask your american friend to do? He can barely do math.

I wasn't aware that Amer. astronauts were all so dumb... Maybe I CAN do it.

No no, not astronauts. Americans. You said youd rather have an american than a russian beside you when youre landing on mars. My point is that who gives a damn about ethnicity or country of origin when all that matters is credentials.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 4:02:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/26/2010 9:00:49 AM, tkubok wrote:
No no, not astronauts. Americans. You said youd rather have an american than a russian beside you when youre landing on mars.

Uhh, ever hear of patriotism?

Besides, how would you know that the American would be dumb and the Russian a genius? All astronauts are highly educated anyway.

My point is that who gives a damn about ethnicity or country of origin when all that matters is credentials.

See: Space Race.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 4:33:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/26/2010 4:02:07 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/26/2010 9:00:49 AM, tkubok wrote:
My point is that who gives a damn about ethnicity or country of origin when all that matters is credentials.

See: Space Race.

Which was itself an extension of the Cold War.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2010 4:40:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/26/2010 4:33:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/26/2010 4:02:07 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/26/2010 9:00:49 AM, tkubok wrote:
My point is that who gives a damn about ethnicity or country of origin when all that matters is credentials.

See: Space Race.

Which was itself an extension of the Cold War.

What's your point?
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2010 6:36:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/26/2010 4:02:07 PM, Nags wrote:
Uhh, ever hear of patriotism?
uhh, ever hear of Practicality?
Besides, how would you know that the American would be dumb and the Russian a genius? All astronauts are highly educated anyway.
besides, you missed my point entirely. American or Russian doesnt matter, a smart, competant, highly qualified Astronaut is a smart, competant, highly qualified astronaut, no matter what country they come from.

See: Space Race.
See: 21st century.

See: Mir Space station

Plz return to modern times. Kthx.