Jump to topic:

Robotic Motion

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2014 10:12:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Robotics continues to progress, but how far will it go? Will robotics ever surpass my ability to throw a ball in the air and catch it? In the future could a robot be built that has the agility of a great athlete, juggler, or fighter? I wouldn't consider the robotic musicians as evidence...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:41:40 AM
At 4/11/2014 10:12:59 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Robotics continues to progress, but how far will it go? Will robotics ever surpass my ability to throw a ball in the air and catch it? In the future could a robot be built that has the agility of a great athlete, juggler, or fighter? I wouldn't consider the robotic musicians as evidence...

Until we get to the future, we can't show that there will be any slowdown in progress in robotics. There could most certainly be robots that do advanced things as good as, or even better than humans. The main problem is getting it to think in the way it is supposed to.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 10:47:32 PM
At 4/15/2014 4:41:40 AM, Subutai wrote:

Until we get to the future, we can't show that there will be any slowdown in progress in robotics. There could most certainly be robots that do advanced things as good as, or even better than humans. The main problem is getting it to think in the way it is supposed to.

Could a robot do this?

https://www.youtube.com...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Gold
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2014 11:33:11 PM
Theoretically, yes.

We currently have robotic systems performing actions more precisely than humans such as surgery. These systems still rely on the input of the surgeon for the coordination of its movement. It would be possible to "record" the input of the surgeon and allow it to move without any help from an outside observer, but this would be incredibly dangerous as not everyone's body parts/organs are the same (unless we further modify the machine with the ability to discern the human anatomy).

So we have slightly achieved this in some ways. It just needs refining.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2014 4:53:59 PM
At 4/17/2014 10:47:32 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 4/15/2014 4:41:40 AM, Subutai wrote:

Could a robot do this?

https://www.youtube.com...

I hope someday yes!
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2014 2:08:37 AM

I believe it could.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 9:51:31 PM

I don't think a robot will ever attain the higher characteristics of man, but like everyone else I'll just have to wait and see. I've been wrong before after all.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 9:53:17 PM
At 4/17/2014 11:33:11 PM, Gold wrote:
Theoretically, yes.

We currently have robotic systems performing actions more precisely than humans such as surgery. These systems still rely on the input of the surgeon for the coordination of its movement. It would be possible to "record" the input of the surgeon and allow it to move without any help from an outside observer, but this would be incredibly dangerous as not everyone's body parts/organs are the same (unless we further modify the machine with the ability to discern the human anatomy).

So we have slightly achieved this in some ways. It just needs refining.

Plus the fact that unforeseen circumstances may always arise, and no recording can compensate for something unforeseen.