Jump to topic:

Firefox Help

SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 5:33:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't usually have problems with Firefox, but I can't figure this out. Firefox has decided that its not going to play any Youtube videos, flash games, etc. etc. It will start loading for a few seconds, then it just stops and the window won't respond, forcing me to close it. I've made sure my plug-ins are up to date, I've run it in safe mode and none of the add-ons are causing the problem, and No-Script is not blocking anything that is need to run flash and the like.

Help?!?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 5:35:42 PM
I don't know much about firefox, since I don't use it, but have you tried uninstalling firefox and re-installing it?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 5:40:32 PM
lol, google chrome has be no help to me, though I imagine that it isn't necessarily GC that is at fault and likely just a coincidence that my issues began the same day I got GC.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 6:20:36 PM
I wouldn't have a clue as to whats going on, SportsGuru. My only suggestion, in addition to reinstalling Firefox, is to reinstall Adobe Flash Player again, as that is what governs Firefox's ability to use all those programs. Reinstall here (http://get.adobe.com...).

If that doesn't fix it, then I couldn't tell you.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 6:24:00 PM
Also check to see if they work on other browsers.

If youtube works on IE, then you know it is firefox. If it doesn't work on FF or IE, then it is likely Adobe or something with the computer itself.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 6:25:30 PM
The one thing I will never get about computers is why the old "turn off, turn on" strategy works for so many things. After switching to IE and seeing the problem still persisting, I turned it off and on on a lark, and lo and behold, videos are accessible again. Thanks for the help, and since this thread will probably die in obscurity otherwise anyway, feel free to use it for whatever you want
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2010 9:53:47 PM
At 2/22/2010 6:25:30 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
The one thing I will never get about computers is why the old "turn off, turn on" strategy works for so many things. After switching to IE and seeing the problem still persisting, I turned it off and on on a lark, and lo and behold, videos are accessible again. Thanks for the help, and since this thread will probably die in obscurity otherwise anyway, feel free to use it for whatever you want

Heh, turning it off and on usually just resets the entire program, so anything that went wrong goes poof, and the default settings are restored. All electronics have that kind of failsafe built in. :P But you're welcome nonetheless.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 4:18:12 PM
Well, it seems this is not a Firefox problem, but a computer problem. Not only will neither Firefox or IE play any music, video or flash material, my computer will not play any videos or music that are on my labtop.

I have a dell studio 15 with windows 7 home premium and I sincerely ask in the least whiny way possible: HELP!?!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 6:00:31 PM
At 2/24/2010 4:18:12 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
I have a dell studio 15 with windows 7 home premium and I sincerely ask in the least whiny way possible: HELP!?!

Have you reloaded Adobe Flash?
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 8:28:40 PM
Yes; I checked Firefox adobe plug-in; it said that my version was outdated, so I installed the new version. What is really confusing me is that it was working perfectly earlier today, and yet decided to quit for (at least seemingly) no reason.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 9:11:41 PM
At 2/24/2010 8:28:40 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
Yes; I checked Firefox adobe plug-in; it said that my version was outdated, so I installed the new version. What is really confusing me is that it was working perfectly earlier today, and yet decided to quit for (at least seemingly) no reason.

Hm. That is pretty odd. I've had it happen before though; what anti-virus program do you use?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 10:24:33 PM
I have had problems with the Flash player update recently, and reinstalling did not fix it. The cure was to roll back the registry to a time when it worked using the "restore" feature. Then refuse the Flash update. I assume that the next update will probably fix the problem.

For info on "restore" see:
http://www.howtogeek.com...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 10:27:54 PM
If you have ABP it is possible that you have blocked them on accident.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 12:09:52 PM
At 2/24/2010 10:27:54 PM, wjmelements wrote:
If you have ABP it is possible that you have blocked them on accident.

That wouldn't matter with IE or the computer in general, just Firefox.
collegekitchen2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 12:39:28 PM
uninstall flash, add new flash.

What is your problem when watching youtube videos? Do you see the video begin to appear it just doesn't play or do you have a "upgrade to the latest flash" message?