Tweka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 12:03:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Genetic Engineering Will Create Super-Intelligent Humans Within a Decade

Are we going to be obsolete?

Read the full article here http://bigthink.com...
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 2:07:45 PM
At 10/25/2014 12:03:54 AM, Tweka wrote:

probably not, at one point when the technology and industry have mature themselves out, I bet it will be just like a smart phone - everyone can, and almost needed to own one.
Tweka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 10:47:43 PM
At 10/26/2014 2:07:45 PM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

probably not, at one point when the technology and industry have mature themselves out, I bet it will be just like a smart phone - everyone can, and almost needed to own one.

But money will be the main concern.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 2:56:25 AM
At 10/26/2014 10:47:43 PM, Tweka wrote:

money IS the main concern when you decided to purchase your new computer or smartphone - frankly, speaking I don't think it will be that much of a problem, the world has not turned upside down when IBM released their first gigantic and expensive computer which can run several time faster than human calculation. Like all computer, you need to keep it up to date in order to remain competitive, update means cheaper and more effective model which is why eventually all most all of us own a computer in some form.

And of course, for the mean time, you can always just use your computer to close gap while the technology has not been fully matured.
Tweka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 4:22:19 AM
At 10/27/2014 2:56:25 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:

money IS the main concern when you decided to purchase your new computer or smartphone - frankly, speaking I don't think it will be that much of a problem, the world has not turned upside down when IBM released their first gigantic and expensive computer which can run several time faster than human calculation. Like all computer, you need to keep it up to date in order to remain competitive, update means cheaper and more effective model which is why eventually all most all of us own a computer in some form.

And of course, for the mean time, you can always just use your computer to close gap while the technology has not been fully matured.

But, do you think it will be cheap as you think? And,of course, everyone can own a Cell Phone as long as you have money.

There are lots of components that can make up a smart phone and THEY can be found mostly on the EARTH. The thing is that Cell of Genius is not everywhere and sometimes it is hard for them to find it.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 1:34:35 AM
At 10/27/2014 4:22:19 AM, Tweka wrote:

But, do you think it will be cheap as you think? And,of course, everyone can own a Cell Phone as long as you have money.

There are lots of components that can make up a smart phone and THEY can be found mostly on the EARTH. The thing is that Cell of Genius is not everywhere and sometimes it is hard for them to find it.

You only need to find one, not to be used but to study its formula, once you understand the language of the gene you can create as many "cell of genius" as you want at a cost of making a pill of medicine. Researching the mutagen is hard work - assemble it is not, just like a computer, once the research part is done everyone can practically make it at cheaper and cheaper cost.

Strain of DNA is found on earth btw.
Tweka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 1:40:00 AM
At 10/28/2014 1:34:35 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
At 10/27/2014 4:22:19 AM, Tweka wrote:

You only need to find one, not to be used but to study its formula, once you understand the language of the gene you can create as many "cell of genius" as you want at a cost of making a pill of medicine. Researching the mutagen is hard work - assemble it is not, just like a computer, once the research part is done everyone can practically make it at cheaper and cheaper cost.

I am curious of what type of course are you studying in the college?
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 1:17:32 PM

Not a science major, if that's what you ask.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 1:19:05 PM

If you want to ask a private question, in public, show your first. For the moment I'll just say that it isn't science major.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 10:25:37 PM

I think it's super-important to pay attention to the fact that this is largely science fiction at this point. Look at all the "coulds" and "maybes" which fill these articles. The following is a single sentence in the article you linked to: "These variants, called alleles, could then be selected for by the parents of a soon-to-be-conceived child, and possibly genetic engineering could be done on adults to boost their intelligence." I mean, it's also possible that some day the USS Enterprise will fly about on a five-year mission to explore new space, etc., etc., but at this point we can't even begin to imagine the unknown hurdles we might have to jump. Back in 1968 when I was just a kid I once read an article in Reader's Digest magazine in which top experts made predictions about what the year 2,000 would bring. I look around me now and see that almost none of it is available yet. Biologists still don't totally understand the mechanics of a single cell, or exactly how programmed cell death works, so I'd say there are a lot of possible things which could get in the way.
Tweka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 11:09:38 PM
At 11/6/2014 10:25:37 PM, Idealist wrote:

I think it's super-important to pay attention to the fact that this is largely science fiction at this point. Look at all the "coulds" and "maybes" which fill these articles. The following is a single sentence in the article you linked to: "These variants, called alleles, could then be selected for by the parents of a soon-to-be-conceived child, and possibly genetic engineering could be done on adults to boost their intelligence." I mean, it's also possible that some day the USS Enterprise will fly about on a five-year mission to explore new space, etc., etc., but at this point we can't even begin to imagine the unknown hurdles we might have to jump. Back in 1968 when I was just a kid I once read an article in Reader's Digest magazine in which top experts made predictions about what the year 2,000 would bring. I look around me now and see that almost none of it is available yet. Biologists still don't totally understand the mechanics of a single cell, or exactly how programmed cell death works, so I'd say there are a lot of possible things which could get in the way.

But, there is a chance if the technology and knowledge have been made possible.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 11:58:23 PM
At 11/6/2014 11:09:38 PM, Tweka wrote:

Yes, there is a chance. In fact, the saying that "nothing is impossible" is very true. Have you ever read much about the "technological singularity," especially as espoused by Ray Kurzweil? This is something which he envisions as happening within the next 25 years, and he and others believe it could lead to various forms of human/machine hybridization. Humans with machine brains, machines with human brains. They are already producing computer circuit-boards which are overlaid by brain tissue, and these half-machine/half-flesh creations are capable of performing some very impressive stuff. Still, actually creating machines which can emulate consciousness only a possibility, not a certainty. Many physicists and neurologists believe that the qualia present in a human mind cannot exist within a computer.
Tweka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 12:30:35 AM
At 11/6/2014 11:58:23 PM, Idealist wrote:

Yes, there is a chance. In fact, the saying that "nothing is impossible" is very true. Have you ever read much about the "technological singularity," especially as espoused by Ray Kurzweil? This is something which he envisions as happening within the next 25 years, and he and others believe it could lead to various forms of human/machine hybridization. Humans with machine brains, machines with human brains. They are already producing computer circuit-boards which are overlaid by brain tissue, and these half-machine/half-flesh creations are capable of performing some very impressive stuff. Still, actually creating machines which can emulate consciousness only a possibility, not a certainty. Many physicists and neurologists believe that the qualia present in a human mind cannot exist within a computer.

I don't agree in creating Artificial Intelligence. If they are doing this, they are summoning demons. In fact, if something have some thinking and feeling, it might do whatever it thinks is right. For example, killing all humans.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 7:37:22 PM
At 11/7/2014 12:30:35 AM, Tweka wrote:
At 11/6/2014 11:58:23 PM, Idealist wrote:

I don't agree in creating Artificial Intelligence. If they are doing this, they are summoning demons. In fact, if something have some thinking and feeling, it might do whatever it thinks is right. For example, killing all humans.

I completely agree. I think that even if it were possible, it's not too bright to create our own destroyer.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 1:30:42 PM
The process of achieving this has already begun, but it is likely to happen through cybernetic technology, not just genetic engineering. And it will probably take at least several decades, depending on your definition of 'super-intelligent'.

You can see current neural cybernetics by googling 'brain-computer interfaces' or 'brain to brain interfaces'.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 8:09:10 PM
At 11/15/2014 1:30:42 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
The process of achieving this has already begun, but it is likely to happen through cybernetic technology, not just genetic engineering. And it will probably take at least several decades, depending on your definition of 'super-intelligent'.

You can see current neural cybernetics by googling 'brain-computer interfaces' or 'brain to brain interfaces'.

Yeah, I've seen some of the more far-out designs. Computer chips overlaid with animal brain-tissue, stuff like that. In some ways it's already amazing what these inventions have accomplished. One group of robots which were programmed to improve themselves through learning actually created their own language which no human can understand without their assistance.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:37:41 AM
At 11/15/2014 8:09:10 PM, Idealist wrote:

Yeah, I've seen some of the more far-out designs. Computer chips overlaid with animal brain-tissue, stuff like that. In some ways it's already amazing what these inventions have accomplished. One group of robots which were programmed to improve themselves through learning actually created their own language which no human can understand without their assistance.

They're all quickly growing areas of research because there have been some major breakthroughs in the last couple of decades, especially in computational learning. Those models allow for the development of brain-computer interfaces as well (generally using machine learning techniques to drive the system).
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 8:19:20 PM
At 11/16/2014 12:37:41 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 11/15/2014 8:09:10 PM, Idealist wrote:

They're all quickly growing areas of research because there have been some major breakthroughs in the last couple of decades, especially in computational learning. Those models allow for the development of brain-computer interfaces as well (generally using machine learning techniques to drive the system).

Well, that's yet to be seen. I've sent emails to a number of people studying in fields relevant to this, and of the ones who replied some think it will happen while others think it won't. One pointed-out to me that unless they can improve on silicon-based computing then there won't be enough computing power, since Moore's Law is finite. A few have said that real human consciousness is one of those characteristics of nature which will never be really understood. Only time will tell. Sure, we've already built machines which interface with the brain in a crude way, but not with consciousness. We still struggle to define where consciousness comes from or what it really is.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 10:49:41 PM

Well, that's yet to be seen. I've sent emails to a number of people studying in fields relevant to this, and of the ones who replied some think it will happen while others think it won't. One pointed-out to me that unless they can improve on silicon-based computing then there won't be enough computing power, since Moore's Law is finite. A few have said that real human consciousness is one of those characteristics of nature which will never be really understood. Only time will tell. Sure, we've already built machines which interface with the brain in a crude way, but not with consciousness. We still struggle to define where consciousness comes from or what it really is.

" ...some think it will happen while others think it won't"
- I guess I'm one of the people in the field who thinks it (technologically enhanced intelligence) will happen. Who have you contacted? Which labs are they from?

"Sure, we've already built machines which interface with the brain in a crude way, but not with consciousness."
- How are you defining consciousness here? Technically, if we use our conscious thoughts to drive the device, it is interfacing with your consciousness. But clearly you mean something different here.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 7:09:18 PM
At 11/16/2014 10:49:41 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

- I guess I'm one of the people in the field who thinks it (technologically enhanced intelligence) will happen. Who have you contacted? Which labs are they from?

"Sure, we've already built machines which interface with the brain in a crude way, but not with consciousness."
- How are you defining consciousness here? Technically, if we use our conscious thoughts to drive the device, it is interfacing with your consciousness. But clearly you mean something different here.

Clearly.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 1:02:17 PM

Clearly.

So what are you talking about? I'm not clear on the point you're making.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 8:29:08 PM
At 11/24/2014 1:02:17 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Clearly.

I'm talking about our ability to actually interface with the sentient areas of our brain. You mentioned several crude advances we've made, but I think we have a long way to go before we can claim that we'll continue to increase our capabilities beyond a certain point. I think there are limits.

As far as which scientists I wrote to, that was part of a project I did in college a few years ago. The names were supplied to me, and I didn't save them, but I remember their responses.

Apparently a large part of what I wrote before got chopped when I posted it, and I can't remember everything I said, but that's a synopsis of sorts.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2014 11:22:50 PM

I'm talking about our ability to actually interface with the sentient areas of our brain. You mentioned several crude advances we've made, but I think we have a long way to go before we can claim that we'll continue to increase our capabilities beyond a certain point. I think there are limits.

This part is really vague, in my opinion. What are 'sentient areas of our brain'? I don't think we have specific areas of our brain that make us sentient, unless you have a certain definition of sentient in mind? What are the limits you're referring to?

As far as which scientists I wrote to, that was part of a project I did in college a few years ago. The names were supplied to me, and I didn't save them, but I remember their responses.

How long ago were you in college? There were only a handful of people in the world working on this 15-20 years ago. It's too bad you don't remember who they are. If they're working in this field, there's a chance that I know them.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 8:51:07 PM
At 11/24/2014 11:22:50 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

This part is really vague, in my opinion. What are 'sentient areas of our brain'? I don't think we have specific areas of our brain that make us sentient, unless you have a certain definition of sentient in mind? What are the limits you're referring to?

I'm referring to things such as "qualia" and individual consciousness - that part which creates the sense of "I" and "we" within our minds. Many specialists feel that we will never be able to truly understand the hard parts of consciousness, let alone emulate them. If we can't understand or reproduce them then that would definitely be a limit.

How long ago were you in college? There were only a handful of people in the world working on this 15-20 years ago. It's too bad you don't remember who they are. If they're working in this field, there's a chance that I know them.

I dropped-out of college halfway through in order to take-over the family business when I was younger. Now I'm physically disabled and I'm attempting to continue my education, so it's ongoing. I don't know how far I'll eventually try to push it, although I don't see the relevance to your question. I've always found the possession of a college-degree (or any degree, for that matter) to be highly overrated. Most people only get them in order to have them and then proceed to forget everything they learned unless it's somehow pertinent to their daily lives. Other people have no college at all and yet spend copious hours in the process of constant learning. Also, like "nurture vs nature," a person's intrinsic intelligence is every bit as important as whether they passed college with a GPA of 2.5 or not.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 9:03:26 PM
I'm referring to things such as "qualia" and individual consciousness - that part which creates the sense of "I" and "we" within our minds. Many specialists feel that we will never be able to truly understand the hard parts of consciousness, let alone emulate them. If we can't understand or reproduce them then that would definitely be a limit.

Ah I see. I could see it being possible that an individual consciousness could not solve the hard problem of consciousness, but it would surprise me if a network of consciousnesses couldn't solve it. It remains to be seen whether this is a fundamentally unsolvable problem, or simple just a yet-unsolved problem. From my own study so far, I don't see why those functions of consciousness can't be explained by neural computation.

I dropped-out of college halfway through in order to take-over the family business when I was younger. Now I'm physically disabled and I'm attempting to continue my education, so it's ongoing. I don't know how far I'll eventually try to push it, although I don't see the relevance to your question. I've always found the possession of a college-degree (or any degree, for that matter) to be highly overrated. Most people only get them in order to have them and then proceed to forget everything they learned unless it's somehow pertinent to their daily lives. Other people have no college at all and yet spend copious hours in the process of constant learning. Also, like "nurture vs nature," a person's intrinsic intelligence is every bit as important as whether they passed college with a GPA of 2.5 or not.

That is truly unfortunate. It makes me glad to know you're still interested in extending your education though.

It is not greatly relevant to the discussion, and I didn't mean to imply that your level of education should determine the value of what you are communicating. You mentioned doing a project for college, so I was curious when this was (to get an idea of who was around in the field at that time and what the state of the art was), and what level the course was (to get a sense of what level of depth you would have covered material on this subject - estimated by at what level they are taught today in undergraduate and graduate courses).

I agree that degrees are over-rated for the most part. But I don't know if that statement generalizes in a simple sense to graduate degrees, particularly PhDs.
aidensjork
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 6:19:05 PM

There is also the concept of designer babies. One fertility clinic got under fire for offering a choice of skin colors, eye colors, and hair colors.
--Aiden Sjork