Jump to topic:

Geek Squad

BeautifulDisaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 10:23:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay, so maybe this one is not really debatable, but something has screwed up my computer. Last Wednesday, I realized my media player and media center has collected over 1800 pictures of things. Things I have seen and things I have never seen before. There are pictures from facebook, you tube, emails I have received and pix from Skype. My computer has become increasingly slow since this and my I.E. is 'not responding' like it should. What the hell happened? How do I stop the pictures? I have tried to delete the pix, but most of them tell me I have to access special permission. Why? I have ran a scan on my whole computer and it has not found any infections or threats. I have only had my computer since Feb. 2010, and I don't even use the media player. I've tried to go under the control panel and remove the whole program, but the media player is not an option to remove for some reason. HELP!
RIP My Friend! <3
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 11:36:54 AM
what web browser do you use?

I had this happen to me, it is likely that your web browser is storing all images from web pages in a cache and you computer is putting them in with the rest of your media.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 11:40:09 AM
As a side note, apparently my new computer's hard drive crashed (meaning I lost EVERYTHING I had saved on it for DDO and the like, including some raps for the tournament, stuff for my upcoming mafia game(s), etc.). Apparently Dell is sending me a new hard drive in the mail though I have absolutely no clue what to do with it. I need the Geek Squad indeed.
President of DDO
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 11:42:49 AM
At 4/25/2010 11:40:09 AM, theLwerd wrote:
As a side note, apparently my new computer's hard drive crashed (meaning I lost EVERYTHING I had saved on it for DDO and the like, including some raps for the tournament, stuff for my upcoming mafia game(s), etc.). Apparently Dell is sending me a new hard drive in the mail though I have absolutely no clue what to do with it. I need the Geek Squad indeed.

Lap top?
if so you're going to have to take it in somewhere to have someone install it and remove your old hard drive. Unless of course you can some how mange to do this on your own, i wouldn't suggest trying lol.

If desktop then this is fairly simple, just open your case, remove the old hard drive, connect wires for the new one, turn on computer, select partitions, install your os and there you go
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 12:29:49 PM
At 4/25/2010 10:23:14 AM, BeautifulDisaster wrote:
Okay, so maybe this one is not really debatable, but something has screwed up my computer. Last Wednesday, I realized my media player and media center has collected over 1800 pictures of things. Things I have seen and things I have never seen before. There are pictures from facebook, you tube, emails I have received and pix from Skype. My computer has become increasingly slow since this and my I.E. is 'not responding' like it should. What the hell happened? How do I stop the pictures? I have tried to delete the pix, but most of them tell me I have to access special permission. Why? I have ran a scan on my whole computer and it has not found any infections or threats. I have only had my computer since Feb. 2010, and I don't even use the media player. I've tried to go under the control panel and remove the whole program, but the media player is not an option to remove for some reason. HELP!
Which operating system and Internet browser are you using?
cutebunny43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 1:54:59 PM
Techie here

Refer to the following tutorial:

http://www.debate.org...

post back when you've hit a snag

Also in the tutorial that I posted contains broken download links they are fixed in later on in the tutorial on the second page
Mafia for Beginners Signup Now

cutebunny43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 1:55:58 PM

I doubt your harddrive is gone for good. Put in your operating system disk, tap F8, boot from disk and do a repair installation

BeautifulDisaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 3:42:11 PM
I have been using Internet Explorer, I've already been told to switch. Now, after I posted this today, I went to spybot and downloaded their program (It was actually cyber defender). It did a scan and found 39 threats. It wants me to pay $29.99 for them to remove it. Why is it not free? I had AVG for my anti-virus...why did it not pick up any threats? How do I know what is correct and what is not?
RIP My Friend! <3
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 3:58:14 PM
ummm i would trust avg over pretty much anything.

im still thinking these are just images from the cache

go into your program files under internet explorer and look for the cache. you will know when you find it because it will most likely have thousands of files. you should then be able to delete them from there

but no matter what you do, do not pay to have the ?viruses? removed, cuz then you`re just asking for either more viruses or identity theft.
BeautifulDisaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 6:00:53 PM
And where were you before I bought it? LoL I called my Aunt who works at Staples cleaning up computers with viruses, and she told me to go to malwarebytes.org and download their program. She sent me the ID # and reg. #. I ran a full scan and it found one infection, which is now removed. She said cyberdefender will tell you that you have viruses so that you will pay for their program. I think you are correct about the temp. files; I haven't checked to see if they are still there or not, but if they are...will it ever stop collecting pix?

I bought the Dell because it was purple...I know stupid, right? :P
RIP My Friend! <3
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 6:13:44 PM
ummm depending on the browser, with ie then they most likely wont stop
i would suggest downlnading either firefox or opera both have aspects that are better than the other but they are both good. I personally perfer opera.
cutebunny43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2010 8:26:55 PM
At 4/25/2010 1:54:59 PM, cutebunny43 wrote:
Techie here

Refer to the following tutorial:

post back when you've hit a snag

Also in the tutorial that I posted contains broken download links they are fixed in later on in the tutorial on the second page

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 7:44:49 AM
At 4/25/2010 1:55:58 PM, cutebunny43 wrote:

I doubt your harddrive is gone for good. Put in your operating system disk, tap F8, boot from disk and do a repair installation

Well an error code came up and Vi called Dell for me and read them the code, and they said my hard drive was gone (even though I have nooo idea how that could have happened). Anyway I don't even know what an operating system is - I'm that bad with technology - so I will ask Vi to try this when she gets home just to check it out... I really hope I didn't lose everything :/ A blue screen just comes up with an error code on it, if anything at all... then when I tried to repair it or something it just says, "Self test unsuccessful" or whatever.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 8:26:57 AM

lol, I know how to set up a new hard drive, babe.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 8:28:56 AM

Already did, it's fried. Totally gone. Can't even boot from the disk. Got a really F'd up error message. But Dell is sending a free new hard drive, and I know how to install it. So it'll be cake.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 8:31:22 AM
At 4/26/2010 7:44:49 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Well an error code came up and Vi called Dell for me and read them the code, and they said my hard drive was gone (even though I have nooo idea how that could have happened). Anyway I don't even know what an operating system is - I'm that bad with technology - so I will ask Vi to try this when she gets home just to check it out... I really hope I didn't lose everything :/ A blue screen just comes up with an error code on it, if anything at all... then when I tried to repair it or something it just says, "Self test unsuccessful" or whatever.

I'd be happy if we still got a blue screen. That doesn't even happen anymore. It's just a blank black screen.
cutebunny43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 9:52:20 AM
At 4/26/2010 8:28:56 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Already did, it's fried. Totally gone. Can't even boot from the disk. Got a really F'd up error message. But Dell is sending a free new hard drive, and I know how to install it. So it'll be cake.

Never say never

http://www.newegg.com...

Only 20 bucks, just take the old harddrive out, plug it into this and plug this into a usb on a working computer. 90% of the time fried drives will work as a USB to transfer files.

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 9:53:38 AM
At 4/26/2010 9:52:20 AM, cutebunny43 wrote:

Never say never

Only 20 bucks, just take the old harddrive out, plug it into this and plug this into a usb on a working computer. 90% of the time fried drives will work as a USB to transfer files.

Nice, this will help for my old laptop as well which has all of my music on it :/
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 12:22:00 PM
At 4/26/2010 9:52:20 AM, cutebunny43 wrote:

Never say never

Yes this will work to do to transfer files (maybe) but you will never be able to run you computer with this setup.
cutebunny43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2010 9:20:19 PM
At 4/26/2010 12:22:00 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
Yes this will work to do to transfer files (maybe) but you will never be able to run you computer with this setup.

no? Really professor?