Net Neutrality

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:46:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Net Neutrality

There is a good article in this weeks Time mag. about net neutrality that could soon affect us all. Should ISPs be allowed to charge content providers different rates to provide different service speeds? Should internet service be classified as a utility? Lots of money at stake here. Guess who will ultimately pay?.

Thoughts? Opinions?
King_Nothing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 1:07:51 PM
At 11/19/2014 9:46:14 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
Net Neutrality

There is a good article in this weeks Time mag. about net neutrality that could soon affect us all. Should ISPs be allowed to charge content providers different rates to provide different service speeds? Should Internet service be classified as a utility? Lots of money at stake here. Guess who will ultimately pay?.

Thoughts? Opinions?

It is opening the door for a myriad of problems the ultimately will hurt us, the consumer. I think first it has to be understood what it is. Without going into grand detail, it basically gives power to your internet provider to decide at what bandwidth you will receive data. ISP's want you to believe that they'd be putting in a fast lane for things like streaming video but the reality is that in order to have a fast lane, you'd have to throttle back everything else. For example, if you prefer Netflix over amazon Prime video, and your Internet provider could choose to throttle down nexflix to any degree they see fit. It has actually happened when Netflix was negotiating with Comcast.

Another problem is your choices of high speed internet providers is extremely limited depending on where you live. For example, where I live it's either Comcast or DSL. DSL can't even come close to Comcasts bandwidth so there's really only one choice for me. If they are given the power to choose at what speed I get what data, I have absolutely no choice but to live with that. Granted, there are companies starting to pop up with Fiber optic connections, but they too would have the powers of limitations.

One of the rules that governs the internet is that all data is treated equally. It's only limited by your connection and whatever site you're connecting to (within reason, of course). Getting rid of Net Neutrality violates one of the founding principles of the internet and gives unchecked power to those we pay to provide it.

In reference to treating like a utility, I think of it like this. City Power (we'll just call it for arguments sake) provides me with the juice to run all my toys. I pay based on how much I use. They don't discriminate how much power I get based on what I'm doing, assuming I'm not trying to run a small particle collider in my back yard. This is not what cable companies are trying to do. They're trying to do the equivalent of saying they'll give you full power to run your lights, assuming you buy our lamps. Otherwise they'll be dimmed automatically.

I saw an argument that someone said that it's a free market system. He stated "imagine if the cost of an apartment was the same in Park Ave as it was in the Bronx. Or that ticket prices are different from the front row of a play than the mezzanine level." That's not what we're talking about here. This would be a private company choosing to put a toll booth in the middle of Manhattan and charging you a fee based on your destination and desired route. Cable companies do not own the Internet, nor do they have the right to decide how and at what speed I get my data. Their job is to provide me access to that data.

At the end of the day, it opens the door for ISP's to make sweetheart deals with whoever they see fit, charge them for it and ultimately charge us for it. Your $9 Netflix subscription may stay at $9 but your ISP charges you an extra $10 a month for the 'fast lane' service.

Sorry, guess this one really irks me...
elatia.g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 7:36:49 PM
Too many telcos act just like they own the Net. The Net is owned by well... everyone with a computer. That's what makes it so great. If we give up Net Neutrality, we might as well say that the telcos do own it because that's how it will be for all intents and purposes. They've shown their true colors with the Netflix debacle. They cannot be trusted.