The "Anti-Facebook"

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 10:53:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.joindiaspora.com...

Diaspora is an attempt by NYU students to set up a rival networking site to Facebook, based around giving more power of individual's "online identities" back to those individuals; increasing privacy awareness and control; and generally making sport of social networking, giving FB some competition for once.

Whether you think they'll succeed or not, it's still a pretty cool idea which came out of what are some serious concerns. Facebook has a rather bad record in privacy measures, which in all honesty is something that we as users should really be watching.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 12:39:08 PM
Good, just what we need, a social networking site that respects the privacy of its users. I'm tired of people being able to see absolutely everything I do on FB.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:16:52 PM
On the issue of FB privacy, I read a piece yesterday about how they are coding in a 'tracking' idea - where where you are posting (on mobile phones) from will be related to certain displayed content.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:23:57 PM
At 5/12/2010 5:16:52 PM, Puck wrote:
On the issue of FB privacy, I read a piece yesterday about how they are coding in a 'tracking' idea - where where you are posting (on mobile phones) from will be related to certain displayed content.

Don't they already do that with ads?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:29:05 PM
At 5/12/2010 5:23:57 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/12/2010 5:16:52 PM, Puck wrote:

Don't they already do that with ads?

Yes, the ads show up according to the information on your profile. For example, I get alot of stuff coming up on mine about left-wing politics since I have that stuff on my profile.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 5:15:53 AM
At 5/12/2010 12:39:08 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Good, just what we need, a social networking site that respects the privacy of its users. I'm tired of people being able to see absolutely everything I do on FB.

Yeah even if you set it so only some ppl can see what you do, they still might see it.
I thought I heard something about making it so you can see who looks at your profile.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 8:21:53 AM
At 6/28/2010 5:15:53 AM, lovelife wrote:

Yeah even if you set it so only some ppl can see what you do, they still might see it.
I thought I heard something about making it so you can see who looks at your profile.

You essentially can, but only to a point. Their is an app that shows you who is most involved with your page. But this only takes into account people posting on your page, rather then people who look at it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2010 12:07:32 PM

That is such a retarded sentence. If you set it so only friends can see, only friends can see it. If you set it so anyone can see it, anyone can see it. Doesn't take excessive use of brains to use it.

Source?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 7:26:04 AM
I'm already building an alternative to Facebook for alcoholics. It's called Offmyfacebook.com

And another for perverts who get off on eating excrement called Faecesbook.com.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 7:37:44 AM
At 7/22/2010 7:26:04 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
I'm already building an alternative to Facebook for alcoholics. It's called Offmyfacebook.com

And another for perverts who get off on eating excrement called Faecesbook.com.

i'll join both.
signature
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 8:23:58 AM
At 6/28/2010 12:07:32 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

That is such a retarded sentence. If you set it so only friends can see, only friends can see it. If you set it so anyone can see it, anyone can see it. Doesn't take excessive use of brains to use it.

Well not exactly. I had custom settings so mom couldn't see anything I did. But I think someone commented on something and she could look at that and it gave her full access to see everything I wrote about hating her.

Source?

Not sure. I heard about it. Someone told me. Could be a false rumor not sure.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2010 8:31:41 AM
At 7/22/2010 8:23:58 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 6/28/2010 12:07:32 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Well not exactly. I had custom settings so mom couldn't see anything I did. But I think someone commented on something and she could look at that and it gave her full access to see everything I wrote about hating her.

*facepalm*

Source?

Not sure. I heard about it. Someone told me. Could be a false rumor not sure.

*Double facepalm*
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2010 12:00:53 AM
If you're concerned with the site of Facebook tracking what you do, I hope you don't use anything Google.

Whereas people seeing what you say and do, why are posting it/why are they your friends?