Jump to topic:

no display adapter

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 1:27:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm hoping someone here can help me out or point me in the right direction.

Gateway desktop, not sure what model atm but I have it written down and I can post it later if needed.

Seagate 1T hard drive.

Windows 8 OS

My son has a desktop and he added a video card about a year ago. I wasn't with him while he did it but it worked but would conflict with the original adapter. So he decided to not only disable/delete the driver he also was able to delete the adapter too.

When I go to the display adapter in device manager it only lists the new card, no trace of the original. This seemed to fix the problem but now he wanted to factory reset it or install a fresh copy of 8.

When he trys to factory reset it would go, I'm guessing its because there is no facyory display adapter. Can't go in safe mode (same reason im assuming and is the issue at the moment) or get into the BIOS to change the boot order.

Now, heres the actual problem.

I did not know he could not load in Safe Mode. He asked me to help him install the factory adapter so I got it from gateway. I figured I had to do it in safe mode so I forced 8 into it upon restart.

Welllllllll...........now it will not work. I'm guessing it is either loading up but I can't see anything because the display wont work. Or it isn't even trying to load at all.

I've tried turning it on and using the arrows to go down to "start windows normally" blind. But that isn't working, not even sure it's even going there or not.

I can't load a fresh copy of 8 because I can't change boot order. So I can't fire up with Linux distros I have on usb or cd. I have moderate knowledge of computers but this has me stumped. I've googled it for two days but not having any luck.

I've read you can't load the hard drive in a virtual machine.

Can I "undo" the force safe mode if I can load the hard drive through usb to another machine? I could get to all the files but not sure if I can undo that from there so it will boot normally when back in it's box.

Can I change the BIOS through the files if I can get to the hard drive through another machine?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 10:59:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anybody know what will happen if I remove the hhd from tower, have windows 8 install disc in tray and fire the bad boy up?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen