Jump to topic:

"Safe Bomb" concept (by me)

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 5:59:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What if there was a bomb was developed that exploded only in one direction (or the explosion in the opposite direction was suppressed by something)? With such bombs, one could create a powerful suicide vest that doesn't kill the wearer. It could potentially become a powerful anti-personnel which posed minimal danger to a trained user.

What obstacles would one have to overcome during the development stage? Input would be appreciated.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 6:00:14 PM
At 12/12/2014 5:59:05 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
What if there was a bomb was developed that exploded only in one direction (or the explosion in the opposite direction was suppressed by something)? With such bombs, one could create a powerful suicide vest that doesn't kill the wearer. It could potentially become a powerful anti-personnel weapon which poses minimal danger to a trained user.

What obstacles would one have to overcome during the development stage? Input would be appreciated.

Fixed
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 9:59:18 AM
At 12/12/2014 5:59:05 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
What if there was a bomb was developed that exploded only in one direction (or the explosion in the opposite direction was suppressed by something)? With such bombs, one could create a powerful suicide vest that doesn't kill the wearer. It could potentially become a powerful anti-personnel which posed minimal danger to a trained user.

.... I think something like that is already existed, ever heard of Claymore? It a single directional mine that used extensively in Vietnam (and continue to be used today), basically it work like some sort of a shotgun trap, the mine, when exploded, will burst into several small fragments that pierce any unarmoured target within short range much like how the shotgun's scatter shot.

During the Vietnam War, the Claymore used wired switch to trigger the explosion so they were prone to be reversed direction by the Vietcog insurgency (thus, the mine exploded over the switch rather than the target) but I heard the modern version now used proximity fuse so this issue is largely gone.

I guest it is possible to wrap it around your chest, provided that you wore it over some sort of breastplate but aside from a single shot at the enemy or worse, at your allies due to accident explosion from stray bullet, I don't really see much advantage by employing it. You could have wore a layered silk armour for protection against kinetic bullet which is both lighter, don't all gone after just one salvo of enemy fire, and don't kill the man next to you in the process.