Jump to topic:

iPad vs Notebook or laptop

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 8:07:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm looking for a backup system to my current laptop. Recent events with my laptop, which isn't really mine, but my company's has shown me that i really need to have a back up system for my various files (mostly on excel and word), and some access to the internet. I am unsure which direction to go, and don't want to spend a lot of money on this. I would probably need to purchase Microsoft office, in addition and i doubt that the iPad is capable of that software. Any suggestions?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 9:54:04 AM
For backup, you should just buy an external HDD (Hard Disk Drive).

Check this: http://www.consumersearch.com...

Then you have it as a separate unit, and should anything go wrong on your laptop, you will have your files on that. You need to back-up the files occasionally.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 10:29:09 AM
At 6/21/2010 9:54:04 AM, Mirza wrote:

Then you have it as a separate unit, and should anything go wrong on your laptop, you will have your files on that. You need to back-up the files occasionally.

So this is a unit that will hook up to my existing laptop. I think my company will not approve of that, and will have it blocked. They are like my big brother and can see what is going on with my laptop. I had a back up system that they made me remove...basta**s.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 10:53:47 AM
At 6/21/2010 10:29:09 AM, innomen wrote:
So this is a unit that will hook up to my existing laptop. I think my company will not approve of that, and will have it blocked. They are like my big brother and can see what is going on with my laptop. I had a back up system that they made me remove...basta**s.
Remote desktop? Then they may also see this... Be careful with the word choice. Hah.

And external hard drive is simply plugged into your laptop. It is extremely easy to use. You can back-up your system files once in a week or something similar, and should anything happen to your internal drive, or the entire computer, it will most likely not affect your external drive, and the files will be on that one. So, should you need another computer, you will still have the files. I do not think that your company will mind this. It is not the case that you will install a lot on your computer due to this. It is a simple thing.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 3:51:09 PM
At 6/21/2010 10:29:09 AM, innomen wrote:
At 6/21/2010 9:54:04 AM, Mirza wrote:

Are you simply looking for a storage device to hold files? Just buy an external HDD and backup your files. If it's a security issue on their side, use the work safe to hold it each night.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 9:50:20 PM
The first thing you should do is to set up restore disk, that way you can restore your computer if something were to happen.. as ijt is for your company they should have done this already.... i'm guessing they didn't however.

Then you should start using google docs. It is extremelly similar to word/excel/power point. AND you save all your files to the internet, and can set it up so that certain people other then you can access them and edit them.

Finally,... I see no reason why your company would stop you from using a HDD if you simply talk to them about it before you use it. It's simply the logical way to go.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 10:04:46 PM
Why is the iPad in the thread title? If all you need is a backup do wyat most of the rest of the people in this thread are saying. Go with the external HDD.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2010 10:11:08 PM
It's understandable that you would be worried about your company getting mad if you're working for say... APPLE, thats just cuz they are FVCKED UP!!!!

otherwise, their is no reason that they shouldn't let you use an HDD.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2010 12:56:33 PM
The ipad shouldn't even be something you're considering as a backup device.

How much stuff do you need to back up? A flash drive would probably suffice if you aren't talking about backing up music or movies.

Like'a dis [Currently $5.99 with free shipping]:
http://www.newegg.com...
chewy8126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2010 1:17:42 PM
At 6/22/2010 12:56:33 PM, omelet wrote:

How much stuff do you need to back up? A flash drive would probably suffice if you aren't talking about backing up music or movies.

Seconded. All we have to know is the amount of data that the OP is attempting to back up. If it is 16 GB or less, then go with the flash drive. More than 16 GB, go with an external HDD. GoogleDocs is also an option I suppose, though I personally haven't used it (and am therefore unsure about whether you can import/export files of similar formats).
Valtarov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2010 10:32:27 AM
At 6/23/2010 1:17:42 PM, chewy8126 wrote:
At 6/22/2010 12:56:33 PM, omelet wrote:

Seconded. All we have to know is the amount of data that the OP is attempting to back up. If it is 16 GB or less, then go with the flash drive. More than 16 GB, go with an external HDD. GoogleDocs is also an option I suppose, though I personally haven't used it (and am therefore unsure about whether you can import/export files of similar formats).

You can upload any file. The easiest way to transfer text files is Ctrl+A and copy-paste. It's all protected by your login and password.
"We are half-hearted creatures,
fooling about with drink and sex and
ambition when infinite joy is offered us,
like an ignorant child who wants to go on
making mud pies in a slum because he
cannot imagine what is meant by the offer
of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily
pleased."—C.S. Lewis, "The Weight of Glory"