Jump to topic:

Online Highschool

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2010 6:06:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've been wanting to go to online school for years now. My parents and teachers say its not good for me because they don't think I'm responsible, so I show them I am and they still wont think about it.

As far as I can see online school has way more pros than cons.

1) only 4 hours of school, the rest of the time you spend at school is wasted time, between classes, at lunch etc.

2) No drama- meaning you can focus on what you need to more

3) Get a job, and have a real life experience before leaving your parent's house so your prepared.

4) with the assignments posted online, you can't actually lose them like when you make a list at school then lose it somewhere between classes or on your way home.

5) less temptations to get fast food on way home from school, since you wont be going anywhere for school.

6) (in my case) I'd be here to get and watch my siblings when their school gets out (about 1-2 hours before the highschool gets out)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 5:22:25 PM
I think home-schooling sounds like a fantastic idea, and if my wife agrees then I'd like to home-school my kids someday. Over the course of my life I've figured out the best ways to learn which I think involves more hands-on learning; I really hope I can give that to my kids (such as educational field trips -- I already have a bunch of ideas).

While I think the internet can and will be a great tool for home schooling, I definitely think it just 'depends' on both the student and subject matter. I've done a couple of college courses online for the hell of it (haha literally just for fun) and while I learned a lot I definitely see how going to an actual class may have been more valuable.

Also, going to HS has a lot of benefits in terms of socializing -- apparently kids who are home-schooled have a crap ton of more social deficiencies than kids who attend a regular HS. Having a social education is just as important too, which a lot of the people I know who are/were home-schooled obviously lack.
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 5:36:28 PM
At 7/1/2010 5:22:25 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Also, going to HS has a lot of benefits in terms of socializing -- apparently kids who are home-schooled have a crap ton of more social deficiencies than kids who attend a regular HS. Having a social education is just as important too, which a lot of the people I know who are/were home-schooled obviously lack.

Right. I think for elementary school, homeschooling is a bad idea. I mean, I went to a posh private school when I was younger, and even though I had social interaction, it was all too nicey-nicey, and so when I started going to public school, I think it really messed me up. I didn't know how to socialize. So, like, imagine what homeschooling would do.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 8:39:17 PM
At 6/30/2010 6:06:43 PM, lovelife wrote:
I've been wanting to go to online school for years now. My parents and teachers say its not good for me because they don't think I'm responsible, so I show them I am and they still wont think about it.

1) only 4 hours of school
Are you talking live chats or what?
Essentially, it depends how fast you work if it's anything like the classes that are most of my AA. And how much teacher help you need-- it'll take more help to get it in an online class.

2) No drama
There can still be a little drama, depending on the class and the teacher.

"I NEVER WANT TO READ ANYTHING LIKE THAT ON MY CLASS DISCUSSION BOARD AGAIN" says the mainstream economics professors :P.

Can't remember anything as iconic in my US history 1945- present class but there was a student who was-- erm, rather uncomfortable-- with some of my postings :P.

3) Get a job, and have a real life experience before leaving your parent's house so your prepared.
Depends on parents and classes. I seem to recall you, like me, have a domineering parental unit? Good luck.

4) with the assignments posted online, you can't actually lose them
There's compensatory risks of losing data or the teacher losing some data or getting locked out of a quiz by glitch.

6) (in my case) I'd be here to get and watch my siblings when their school gets out (about 1-2 hours before the highschool gets out)
That much is true.

Course, I never did it for HS classes, just CC. It works well, but it's not idyllic :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 8:46:21 PM
I think home-schooling sounds like a fantastic idea, and if my wife agrees then I'd like to home-school my kids someday. Over the course of my life I've figured out the best ways to learn which I think involves more hands-on learning; I really hope I can give that to my kids (such as educational field trips -- I already have a bunch of ideas).

I definitely agree with you on homeschooling, but some learning techniques that work great for you might not work at all for someone else. I'm a tactile/visual learner, so I like hands on stuff like field trips and dissections, or videos and books. I'm alright at auditory learning, but I really REALLY hate taking notes. I don't get anything from it.

This is the #1 drawback.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 9:16:14 PM

While I think the internet can and will be a great tool for home schooling, I definitely think it just 'depends' on both the student and subject matter. I've done a couple of college courses online for the hell of it (haha literally just for fun) and while I learned a lot I definitely see how going to an actual class may have been more valuable.

The time for fixing my social problems is way far gone. Used to be the only friends I can make were in my head, then they kept getting pissed at me, then online, and they hate me too, and in real life, they hate me AND spread rumors, AND do everything they can to attack me and make me feel like crap.

I want to get away from socializig at school. A job or something will prolly help me with socializing in a way I might need to in real lofe tho.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2010 9:21:19 PM
At 7/1/2010 8:39:17 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 6/30/2010 6:06:43 PM, lovelife wrote:

1) only 4 hours of school
Are you talking live chats or what?
Essentially, it depends how fast you work if it's anything like the classes that are most of my AA. And how much teacher help you need-- it'll take more help to get it in an online class.

2) No drama
There can still be a little drama, depending on the class and the teacher.

"I NEVER WANT TO READ ANYTHING LIKE THAT ON MY CLASS DISCUSSION BOARD AGAIN" says the mainstream economics professors :P.

Can't remember anything as iconic in my US history 1945- present class but there was a student who was-- erm, rather uncomfortable-- with some of my postings :P.

Depends on parents and classes. I seem to recall you, like me, have a domineering parental unit? Good luck.

4) with the assignments posted online, you can't actually lose them
There's compensatory risks of losing data or the teacher losing some data or getting locked out of a quiz by glitch.

That much is true.

Course, I never did it for HS classes, just CC. It works well, but it's not idyllic :P.

I'd only have to be signed in for four hours, and if its about getting work done I tend to work rather quickly and get an A on almost everything, but it really depends on the class and wording of the questions.

And I don't WANT to know what you posted that got that comment, and made other students uncomfortable.

And yes the parents are the bi issue. They pretty much promised, then said there was no way. They did say I could if I got a job, I told them I was planning on it anyway and then they said they wouldn't let me anyway.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 4:10:40 PM
At 7/1/2010 8:46:21 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

I definitely agree with you on homeschooling, but some learning techniques that work great for you might not work at all for someone else. I'm a tactile/visual learner, so I like hands on stuff like field trips and dissections, or videos and books. I'm alright at auditory learning, but I really REALLY hate taking notes. I don't get anything from it.

Haha that's funny cuz I'm the opposite -- I'm a fantastic note-taker and I make the most awesome study guides that always help me :p But for instance, when I was younger I HATED Ancient History (I thought it was so boring). When I went to Rome, I was absolutely fascinated after visiting all of the ruins and such, and I totally learned (and retained) so much more. So that's something I really want to do with my kids -- travel.

I also wanna take them to the planetarium, this place in NY called The Liberty Science Center (makes learning and science fun) and other trips like that. When I was little I went with my grandparents to Colonial Williamsburg to see the first Colonial settlements -- that was really neat and I also learned a lot. I just think those kinds of experiences like checking out Boston, Philly, etc. are helpful. I enjoyed the Statue of Liberty as a kid too. I definitely wanna take my kids to Europe as well: Rome for sure (also as a part of a cultural thing since I am 100% Italian - first generation American), and maybe Egypt, Constantinople (Turkey), Greece, etc.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 4:12:28 PM
At 7/1/2010 9:16:14 PM, lovelife wrote:
The time for fixing my social problems is way far gone. Used to be the only friends I can make were in my head, then they kept getting pissed at me, then online, and they hate me too, and in real life, they hate me AND spread rumors, AND do everything they can to attack me and make me feel like crap.

Whoa. Well first, HS isn't *only* about making friends -- though I'm sure you could -- but rather just learning social skills in general and other types of norms and etiquette. Making friends in college is a lot easier cuz nobody really cares as much about their "reputation." I think if you have a hard time making friends then learning this social stuff could actually be good for you. People are a-holes, but I'm sure you can find some good ones. Erm, I don't see why people online would get mad at you?

I want to get away from socializig at school. A job or something will prolly help me with socializing in a way I might need to in real lofe tho.

True - a job can be good for that.
President of DDO
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 6:13:38 PM
At 7/2/2010 4:12:28 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 7/1/2010 9:16:14 PM, lovelife wrote:

Whoa. Well first, HS isn't *only* about making friends -- though I'm sure you could -- but rather just learning social skills in general and other types of norms and etiquette. Making friends in college is a lot easier cuz nobody really cares as much about their "reputation." I think if you have a hard time making friends then learning this social stuff could actually be good for you. People are a-holes, but I'm sure you can find some good ones. Erm, I don't see why people online would get mad at you?

True - a job can be good for that.

None of it matters anymore. I'd rather make them happy for a short time then fight. Getting what I want now is out of the question
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2010 11:01:02 PM
I might get to go to online school (just cause if I don't we lose $700 a month, and its more convenient for them.