Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 12:48:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
They brought in William Shatner to endorse it, it's so impressive:
https://www.youtube.com...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 1:04:07 AM
This video shows how computers are actually getting worse as they get newer: https://www.youtube.com...

There are more problems than ever, they are improving at practically-slower rates, becoming more complex and difficult to work with/maintain, and we have less control over them than ever. When it was just DOS, I had almost complete control over every function of my computer. There was just a c:\ drive and subdirectories, and I could access and observe every file on it with ease. As Windows took over and each subsequent version was released, more and more became automated and shut me out of being able to access and control what was going on. Now Windows 8 has taken it a step further... computers used to be for intelligent people, now they are designed for dummies :P

While the power is increasing and we can do a whole lot more with them, one must wonder what these trends are going to lead to in the future.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2015 2:49:53 PM
At 2/24/2015 1:04:07 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
This video shows how computers are actually getting worse as they get newer: https://www.youtube.com...

There are more problems than ever, they are improving at practically-slower rates, becoming more complex and difficult to work with/maintain, and we have less control over them than ever. When it was just DOS, I had almost complete control over every function of my computer. There was just a c:\ drive and subdirectories, and I could access and observe every file on it with ease. As Windows took over and each subsequent version was released, more and more became automated and shut me out of being able to access and control what was going on. Now Windows 8 has taken it a step further... computers used to be for intelligent people, now they are designed for dummies :P

While the power is increasing and we can do a whole lot more with them, one must wonder what these trends are going to lead to in the future.

They're more accessible now, in general, but that doesn't mean you can't still do everything you used to be able to in command prompt. Or use linux without a gui.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 11:35:43 AM
At 2/24/2015 2:49:53 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

They're more accessible now, in general, but that doesn't mean you can't still do everything you used to be able to in command prompt. Or use linux without a gui.

Computers are too complex for the command prompt now. Everything is designed to be automated through Windows, and that trend shows no signs of letting up.

I was at a training session last night, and the computer they were using to show a slide show was just stuck on the windows screen. They couldn't figure out how to use it. Then they gave up, and it started showing the slide show all by itself on the opposite wall (they had wheeled it out of the way) and when they wheeled it back again it stopped working again. I thought to myself how common this type of thing is now, how many times I've been in some sort of class or meeting and watched the speaker be undermined by the advanced technology they were using. That sort of thing never happened in the past, slide projectors had only and on/off switch and older computers were less complex and there was less to go wrong. While computers are more useful than ever, they are also becoming more useless than ever.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2015 12:32:32 PM
At 2/25/2015 11:35:43 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Computers are too complex for the command prompt now. Everything is designed to be automated through Windows, and that trend shows no signs of letting up.

I was at a training session last night, and the computer they were using to show a slide show was just stuck on the windows screen. They couldn't figure out how to use it. Then they gave up, and it started showing the slide show all by itself on the opposite wall (they had wheeled it out of the way) and when they wheeled it back again it stopped working again. I thought to myself how common this type of thing is now, how many times I've been in some sort of class or meeting and watched the speaker be undermined by the advanced technology they were using. That sort of thing never happened in the past, slide projectors had only and on/off switch and older computers were less complex and there was less to go wrong. While computers are more useful than ever, they are also becoming more useless than ever.

Yeah, this kind of thing is common, and I do think it has a lot to do with making computers 'user-friendly'. But what is it that you can't do now that you could do before? Computers are performing more complex functions now, so of course it's not feasible to assert the same resolution of control as you would have for the much simpler functions, which are all that existed in the past. Technically, you could make a whole slide presentation via command line, or even machine code, but good luck with that.

There are still many systems with command-line-only operating systems that are in use today. I don't use one, but I use the command line and cygwin and linux terminals pretty regularly. I'm not finding a problem, except, and I'm sure you'll agree with me, somehow with all our computing power they can't seem to make projectors and printers that work.

It sounds like you're just saying computers were simpler before, which made them easier to use. Generally speaking, walking is also simpler and less dangerous than driving.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 9:24:00 AM
The instant on of old computers is nice to look at, but should be tempered with what you got when sitting as a command prompt.

Look, you CAN run windows without the GUI. You can run Linux, HPUX, BSD, without a GUI. It will boot damn fast, and have MORE accessible than turning on my COCO.

The average computer today, and the average OS are simply incredible. Minor glitches happened throughout computing history. Think the C-64 never locked?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 3:29:19 PM
At 2/25/2015 12:32:32 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 2/25/2015 11:35:43 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Yeah, this kind of thing is common, and I do think it has a lot to do with making computers 'user-friendly'. But what is it that you can't do now that you could do before? Computers are performing more complex functions now, so of course it's not feasible to assert the same resolution of control as you would have for the much simpler functions, which are all that existed in the past. Technically, you could make a whole slide presentation via command line, or even machine code, but good luck with that.

There are still many systems with command-line-only operating systems that are in use today. I don't use one, but I use the command line and cygwin and linux terminals pretty regularly. I'm not finding a problem, except, and I'm sure you'll agree with me, somehow with all our computing power they can't seem to make projectors and printers that work.

It sounds like you're just saying computers were simpler before, which made them easier to use. Generally speaking, walking is also simpler and less dangerous than driving.

That's true it is similar to walking and driving, and just like the walker was healthier than the driver, the new computer-user is more stressed and dependent upon the new machine than the old user was.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2015 3:38:35 PM
At 3/2/2015 9:24:00 AM, TBR wrote:
The instant on of old computers is nice to look at, but should be tempered with what you got when sitting as a command prompt.

Look, you CAN run windows without the GUI. You can run Linux, HPUX, BSD, without a GUI. It will boot damn fast, and have MORE accessible than turning on my COCO.

The average computer today, and the average OS are simply incredible. Minor glitches happened throughout computing history. Think the C-64 never locked?

I'm sure the C-64 was able to malfunction but not as often and when it did it wasn't that bad. New computers are almost in a state of constant minor malfunction, and the complexity requires more safeguards. Commodores weren't very prone to viruses like 90s computers were, and once the new century rolled in we now have malware and all sorts of weird things to worry about. Things will get worse as time goes on too, we'll have more malicious software creeping in, more advertisers hijacking your activities, more complexity and possibility for malfunction, more security risks and information leaks... And nowadays you have to create an account for every little thing you do online. Is jobsearching easier than ever or more of a pain in the azz than ever? I used to just drop by a place with a pen, fill out an app, and be off. Now I need an account to use a search engine, I need to create an account at every place I apply at, it's mind-numbingly stressful to look for work with all the little electronic hoops we have. And don't get me started on all those crappy programs every company makes their employees learn that just become worthless once you switch jobs. Even as a tradesman, I have to deal with these pieces of sh1t when I go work at a place because their employees all have to log in. I always waste time having to putz with them and every one is different and absolutely useless outside of that one company.
Beliefs in a nutshell: