Jump to topic:

Desktop drama. Techie help please!

feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2010 4:39:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So yesterday my dirty old beast of a PC, which has always been prone to spazzing, pulled the ultimate spazz and hit me with the blue screen of death. Some kind of corruption on the bootup, UNMOUNTABLE_DISC_VOLUME was the message.This time last night I couldn't even boot up in safe mode.

Got some advice plus my original (cracked) CD-ROM of Windows XP(old skool I know), set preferences in the BIOS menu and got into recovery mode but all the chkdsk, fixboot and /p in the world wouldn't fix it.

Now I do have two hard drives, but it was the C drive that was fooked and all my audio and program folders for all my music is on the D drive, foolishly not backed up. I was advised that there was always a small chance of the drive being formatted when installing windows and losing these files doesn't bare contemplating. The alternative was over-writing the OS on the C drive with the new install of windows, which is what I've done and I'm at least now back on windows and back on the net.

One thing this has taught me is that I really need to back up all my essential data and I'm buying an external hard drive tomorrow.

Problem is of course, now I need to re-install all my programs, which is gonna be a mission. Also, I'm worried that I may have lost some quite valuable (£wise) and essential (to me) plug-ins for my music software.

In the meantime, I'm trying to re-install my soundcard now. All the hardware components are still physically installed and the external mixer is receiving power from the computer, but I can't get it to start the install process, even when I insert the CD.

Any advice?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 6:13:55 PM
Your D drive is probably OK and there is no reason why Windows would reformat it automatically. If you are worried about protecting the D drive, just unplug the data cable inside the computer when you reinstall Window. Also, you could temporarily move the drive to a friend's computer and back it up there.

Many of the packages like Norton include a recovery disk, which allows you to boot directly from the CD. Then you can look at the smoldering wreck of the C drive, and maybe recover or backup some files. Reinstalling Windows on the C drive should not erase the data files, but you will have to reinstall all the programs.

In the future, the best way to back everything up, I think, is to get an external hard disk that plugs into a USB port, then use Acronis to incrementally back everything up in the middle of the night every night.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 3:34:43 AM
Thanks Roy, I've bought an external hard drive now and I'm backing things up and will definitely check out that Acronis program.

Any advice on getting my new windows to recognise that the audio hardware is already physically installed, so it can install the software to control the soundcard?

Will I need to disconnect and reattach the physical components, which I'm a bit apprehensive of, or is there some way I can get the computer to locate the hardware and begin the software install when I put in the CD?

Also, while most files seem to still be intact, do you think my old plug-ins will still be accessible when I re-install the music software?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 11:39:03 AM
When the computer restarts, your gonna want to search for and delete your System_32 folder.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 6:33:07 PM
At 7/31/2010 11:39:03 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
When the computer restarts, your gonna want to search for and delete your System_32 folder.

Cool, thanks man.
http://www.debate.org...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 7:21:33 AM
At 7/31/2010 6:33:07 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 11:39:03 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Cool, thanks man.

Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 8:34:40 AM
At 7/31/2010 3:34:43 AM, feverish wrote:
Thanks Roy, I've bought an external hard drive now and I'm backing things up and will definitely check out that Acronis program.

Any advice on getting my new windows to recognise that the audio hardware is already physically installed, so it can install the software to control the soundcard?

Will I need to disconnect and reattach the physical components, which I'm a bit apprehensive of, or is there some way I can get the computer to locate the hardware and begin the software install when I put in the CD?

Also, while most files seem to still be intact, do you think my old plug-ins will still be accessible when I re-install the music software?

Windows is now designed so that it reinstalls the driver software from scratch every time you reboot. It should therefore find your sound hardware and reinstall it automatically. However, it might have lost the drivers. If it can't find the driver it will tell you, and you will have to download it from the manufacturer's site and follow their installation instructions.

It should find your plug-ins OK, but if you have to reinstall music software other than the driver, then you may have to reinstall the plug-ins as well. Usually that is just dragging them into the folder it builds for plug-ins.

I must say, however, that I've got some really ornery sound editing plug-ins that are in the right folder, but are ignored. I don't know how to cure it. Ultimately, software can do anything it wants to do.