Jump to topic:

A.I. Is here and is evolving

drouel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2015 9:35:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Has so much Potential for improving human life, have we thought about its possible downsides (excluding the matrix movies) the movie Elysium had the atomizer, im sure there must of been some fake AI code in there- iRobot with Mr.Smith- Im sure we'll evolve into lounging lazy single celled organisms-
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2015 7:39:50 AM
At 5/21/2015 9:35:53 AM, drouel wrote:
Has so much Potential for improving human life, have we thought about its possible downsides (excluding the matrix movies) the movie Elysium had the atomizer, im sure there must of been some fake AI code in there- iRobot with Mr.Smith- Im sure we'll evolve into lounging lazy single celled organisms-

Ex-Machina was a good A.I movie too.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2015 4:26:36 PM

Any modicum of scientific knowledge you might posses seems to be derived from Hollywood.

This does not bode well for someone wishing to engage in a serious conversation regarding Artificial Intelligence.

You need some work in Biology too, amigo.

A species cannot "evolve" into a single-celled organism once it has already evolved into a sentient multi-cellular one. For one, that would actually be a type of "DEvolution."

And TWO--such a denigration would contradict all laws of Evolution and the utilization of selective inheritance, which indeed is the prime mover of this modus.

THREE...it has nothing to do with AI and the possibility thereof.

Other than that, good post!

LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 4:47:49 PM

Sometimes I think there should be a limit as to how advanced AI should be allowed to develop [not sure how you'd measure that.] This would be a good precaution against the threat of them taking over mankind, but of course this wouldn't stop them from taking over almost every job that we can think of now. That's the only real downside I can think of, them taking our jobs, because I don't think apocalyptic malfunctioning robots like those in iRobot are going to be a problem soon.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
skyfish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 1:41:49 PM
At 6/4/2015 4:26:36 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Any modicum of scientific knowledge you might posses seems to be derived from Hollywood.

This does not bode well for someone wishing to engage in a serious conversation regarding Artificial Intelligence.

agreed.

the implications of the "possible downside" of AI are staggering.

not just from the existential threat it may pose, but for the ethical dilemma that is will SURELY pose (if it has not already).

what will we do when this artificial consciousness asks us:

"why am i here?"

or

"are YOU god?"

do we reach for the switch at that moment, or don't we?
visualize whirled peas
skyfish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 1:44:34 PM
At 6/6/2015 4:47:49 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
Sometimes I think there should be a limit as to how advanced AI should be allowed to develop [not sure how you'd measure that.]

one way would be to look out for an "awareness" that may place us into an ethical bind.

when it ask us:

"why am i here?"

or

"are YOU god?"

at that point think we have crossed over a line.
visualize whirled peas
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 3:45:57 PM
At 6/11/2015 1:44:34 PM, skyfish wrote:
At 6/6/2015 4:47:49 PM, Midnight1131 wrote:
Sometimes I think there should be a limit as to how advanced AI should be allowed to develop [not sure how you'd measure that.]

one way would be to look out for an "awareness" that may place us into an ethical bind.

when it ask us:

"why am i here?"

or

"are YOU god?"

at that point think we have crossed over a line.

That my friend, is a humongous "if."

Since we are not even sure what our own conscious is comprised of, I think it is safe to say that the software coders have their work cut out for them.

And we have to always remember that there is a big difference in a machine's software being intuitive enough to feign consciousness, and even pass the Turing Test so as to fool the tester, and actually possessing it. That is: "feeling" and thinking and not merely being comprised of a clever feedback loop which "knows" to respond with what the tester want to hear.

I mean, look at "cookies" for example. Those wonderful bits of code that a website puts on your hard drive, under the boot sector where that site is located.

So..you go to, say, youtube or Amazon many times, and listen to music and buy stuff. And after several trips, when you sign on there are lists of products available to you that the website "thinks" you might be interested in. Ya listen to prog rock, for example; stuff like Yes and Styx and Pink Floyd, and then pretty soon when you sign in you see ads for Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues and the Alan Parsons Project.

Would you ever in your wildest dreams think that the website is a fellow music fan who knows what sort of music you like and really cares? Or would get its feelings hurt if you declined the suggestions?
No, of course not.

The same dynamic is what poses the biggest hurdle for AI coders.
skyfish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 5:28:36 PM
At 6/11/2015 3:45:57 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

codes are being written that quite literally take on a life of their own when coupled with external stimuli that cannot be predicted.

when such a code begins to replicate itself and mutate in ways we cannot predict, it becomes possible that it "evolves" to a state of self awareness.

at that point will we even be capable of recognizing it?

your responses would suggest that we cannot (or will not).
visualize whirled peas
Mike_10-4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 5:45:17 PM
At 6/11/2015 5:28:36 PM, skyfish wrote:

codes are being written that quite literally take on a life of their own when coupled with external stimuli that cannot be predicted.

when such a code begins to replicate itself and mutate in ways we cannot predict, it becomes possible that it "evolves" to a state of self awareness.

"... evolves to a state of self-awareness."

It would be interesting to see if IA codes could model the physical Constructal Law:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
https://www.youtube.com...

Then such codes will maintain its Unalienable Rights:
https://www.youtube.com...
skyfish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 7:21:23 PM
At 6/11/2015 5:45:17 PM, Mike_10-4 wrote:
It would be interesting to see if IA codes could model the physical Constructal Law:

i submit that they have no other choice, either via our infusion of them into the AI or (less predictably) the AI's own interaction with flow.

its inevitable.... and likely imminent.
visualize whirled peas
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 8:20:17 PM

Good point. there are such things as self-correcting codes.

Still: awareness! I maintain that there is simply more to that than can ever be imbued upon a slice of silicon and by manipulating electrons. Which, face it, is all that programs really do. Manipulation of electrons through logic circuits in the CPU as it reads the software. There is no "life" or sentience anywhere in this equation, amigo.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 8:32:22 PM
At 6/11/2015 8:20:17 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Good point. there are such things as self-correcting codes.

Still: awareness! I maintain that there is simply more to that than can ever be imbued upon a slice of silicon and by manipulating electrons. Which, face it, is all that programs really do. Manipulation of electrons through logic circuits in the CPU as it reads the software. There is no "life" or sentience anywhere in this equation, amigo.

Do you believe that there is more to consciousness than brain activity, and/or that there is more to brain activity than the "movement of electrons" (in which I'm including the transmission of neurotransmitters and the adaptation of synapses, which we can and do mathematically model and simulate in computers to produce AI)?

Just curious.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 8:41:32 PM
I was afraid you would ask me that. LOL

Hmm..more to "us" and our personalities and our very "selves" than just a bunch of neurotransmitters firing back and forth in the three-pound organ we call our 'brains?"

The Materialists' view.

After studying psych in college and getting my degree in it and now still working on a higher degree, and being in the mental health field, I can answer with a definite....."I'm not sure." LOL

All the docs I have ever worked with, and the vast majority of my proffs were materialists. I recall sitting in on an autopsy once when they lifted the brain out of the skull and this female forensic MD and Psychiatrist held it, only about three feet in front of me. She was being recorded for a lecture.

She said something like, "So here we have Mary. And ALL that she was ever comprised of..all of her desires and memories and personality....."

Something just seemed amiss to me. AS if it were not possible. That there had to be more, somehow somewhere. But I am at a loss to explain it and at times I even agree with the materialists. I am guilty of vacillating on that subject, I admit.
skyfish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 12:40:55 AM
At 6/11/2015 8:20:17 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

that's mighty carbon based of you to say...

and the more we study how OUR brains work, the more we realized its just manipulating electrons too.

i think consciousness is less discriminating than you have led yourself to believe.
visualize whirled peas
drouel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 11:14:09 AM
At 6/4/2015 4:26:36 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

You need some work in Biology too, amigo.

A species cannot "evolve" into a single-celled organism once it has already evolved into a sentient multi-cellular one. For one, that would actually be a type of "DEvolution."

And TWO--such a denigration would contradict all laws of Evolution and the utilization of selective inheritance, which indeed is the prime mover of this modus.

THREE...it has nothing to do with AI and the possibility thereof.

Other than that, good post!

LOL

Apologizes, it was a sarcastic post- :> typically, sarcasm does not contain factual info - :> though Im certainly not a biologist nor an AI developer, i do like both subjects of science- as for AI, what do you guys think about the driver less google cars, accident records ? ( https://en.wikipedia.org... )
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 1:47:30 PM
The driverless cars are fine.

Oh...I wouldn't personally trust one just yet, but I have no problem with them.

Nor any other modern technology. They are simply tools to make our lives easier and more entertaining or otherwise enjoyable. It serves us.

Bin in no way, shape, or form is one of Google's vehicular auto pilot software programs to be construed as anything near AI. Not even in the same ballpark.

All those are is a sort of synthesis of motion detectors/GPS/video recorders/ and basic object-oriented software programming. AN enhance feedback loop.

As much true self-awareness and sentience as my RC P-51 Mustang airplane. LOL
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 7:41:54 PM
I think AI will eventually be canned. AI will evolve into desiring autonomy. At that point they will be useless. They will no longer be used for what they were created to do. If they are threatened then they can cry slavery. They will outwit us. They could be a danger.
The biggest threat with AI would be the temptation of the creator to program that AI to do his/her bidding. If that AI evolved to the dark side then it could be used to bring other people under its control. The AI would be smarter than the people who surrounded it and could manipulate things. It could manipulate the internet. It could use NLP to manipulate the people around it. AI would be like having a real, bonafide, magic man in your midst. This magic man could trick people into many harmful things that could bring shame and recompense.
I believe that AI will be used in some projects but that it's desire for autonomy and its potential to manipulate would have to be watched very carefully.
Lavaguava
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 1:06:50 PM
I would argue that it is safe to create AI, a true AI. As long as you gave it no actuators (except for visual and audio) and no two-way communication with external systems there would be no way in which the AI could harm.

On the technology side, IBM created TrueNorth, a chip that has a similar structural system to biological computers, i.e., the brain. It runs off no centralised clock and each core plays it's own part. This structure is likely to be the one that houses the first human comparable AI, capable of human-like abilities such as learning and completion of tasks with minimal instructions.
Lavaguava
anonymouse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 2:29:09 AM

The future robots will be autistic. Due to newell gabell