Jump to topic:

Is Cyber-bullying really an issue?

Pyrofuze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 11:18:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So. What I've been hearing recently is that with the development of technology, the juvenile portion of our population has found a much easier and more effective way to bully others, and that is through the use of internet and social media. People will post all kinds of terrible things on Facebook and Twitter and all of these other sites and this will lead to conflicts offline, outside of the sites. This is what's become commonly known as Cyber-bullying and apparently, it's gotten so big that people have reached out and started initiatives against Cyber-bullying.

While I do agree that it is a problem, is it really that big of an issue? I've been hearing for a while now that teenagers have been suiciding in real life because they have been bullied online, and while I'm not saying it doesn't exist, how does it become so much of an issue that people end up ending their own lives for it? Sure, I'd understand that if one were to be physically bullied that they'd feel some sort of emotional shock, but, this is online!

This has happened to me before. I wasn't phased by it once, and that's why I've made this thread. Why is cyber-bullying being treated as such a huge issue? Why are there kids who would suicide over just being insulted over a social media site? I honestly don't know, so I'd like to know why the sensitivity (forgive me if I'm using the wrong words here) of kids these days are so high to the point where words are enough to get them to suicide.
elatia.g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 11:47:06 AM
It's being treated like a huge issue because there have been suicides resulting from cyberbullying, as this article shows. It's two years old, but still...

Personally, I'm in agreement with you, as bullies can be handled by simply blocking them or shutting down one's social media account for a while until it blows over.
elatia.g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 11:48:02 AM
At 6/22/2015 11:47:06 AM, elatia.g wrote:
It's being treated like a huge issue because there have been suicides resulting from cyberbullying, as this article shows. It's two years old, but still...

Personally, I'm in agreement with you, as bullies can be handled by simply blocking them or shutting down one's social media account for a while until it blows over.

OK, apparently, you can't use HTML. http://www.buzzfeed.com...
Shield
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 1:58:21 AM
Yes.
The proudest moment of my life was when i traveled a thousand miles for love and brought that love back with me those same thousand miles. Nothing that has ever happened, nor ever will, will ever take that pride away from my heart.
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 7:34:51 PM
It is an issue, but in a free Democracy the government should stay out of it. Any law passed to stop cyber-bullying could be used to stop any kind of bullying. That would violate free speech. In addition, cyber bullying is no different than classroom gossip. Kids will be kids, and they will lie and spread rumors about people that they don't like.

The only time that cyber bullying is illegal is when threats are made. Lies about someone can be posted, as long as they don't defame someone. Spreading rumors that someone is a child molester when they are not should be illegal. But saying that someone's a bitch, or fat, or nerdy, shouldn't be prosecuted because they are slang terms that mean people use. Even nice people are prone to call people names, provided that they are in a place where they can't be punched or slapped. That's why cyber bullying is so predominant. It's because the bullies can hide behind a screen and not worry about repercussions.

Bullying can be curtailed. I've often wondered why public schools don't have mandatory classes about philosophy and etiquette. In these classes, boys and girls would be taught how to be polite to teachers and parents. They would also be taught how to respect their class mates. I believe that these classes might bring a decrease in verbal assaults. Kids grow into adults, and many of them bring their poor behavior into the work place, into the bar, grocery stores, and public places. These people make everyone else miserable. Many times these bad kids end up homeless without a job, or in jail. I think that the public school system does a dis-service by not teaching young people politeness and empathy.
When I was in school the teachers didn't do a thing about verbal harassment. They ignored it, unless someone was punched. There were a couple of kids in my school who were harassed day in and day out through all twelve years of their public school existence. I imagine these kids are screwed up for life.
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:30:00 PM
The problem is, the internet is still such a new thing, that the parents of these teens didn't grow up with social media and are flying blind. We've been around the technology long enough to tell our kids as they get older that they can just block people that are stalking or harassing them.

I had people stalk and harass me. I blocked them. Haven't heard from them since, and they wouldn't be able to contact me even if they wanted to. Problem solved.

Kids need to be taught two things:
1. Bullying is unacceptable. Period.
2. You can control who is able to see you and contact you on social media. You wouldn't let a bully into your house to harass you, don't let them into your social media circles. You can't get upset by what you don't see.
IsabellaS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 3:13:34 AM
Yes, this is absolutely an issue. This past year, I worked in a private school where they had to hire a technology consultant specifically to counter the cyber-bullying issue that was cropping up in the student body. The issue with cyber-bullying is most certainly a reality that many middle and high school students face daily. Perhaps comments did not faze you, but for a young, developing student who already lacks confidence in a certain area, these comments can be tremendously hurtful. One of the main issues with cyber bullying is that even the perpetrators do not realize how large scale one small comment can become. Whereas a spoken comment in a small group can only gain the acquiescence of those around, a comment of social media can be liked by hundreds or thousands- and imagine a comment degrading a heavy girl's body being liked/commented on by a large percentage of her school body. Additionally, what some people do not have the brazenness to say face-to-face, they may have to write it online, perhaps anonymously. The comments tend to be of an even meaner nature than spoken ones. As I stated, these occurrences are a reality- we have had countless parents calling up the school body asking us to address this issue because a son/daughter of theirs has become yet another victim.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 3:55:59 PM
If you are being bullied on the internet it is because you allow it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:35:19 AM
At 7/12/2015 3:55:59 PM, sadolite wrote:

Always the great move to go for victim blaming.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:19:31 PM
At 7/15/2015 3:35:19 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I am not placing blame. I am saying you must make a conscious decision to log onto the internet and make a conscious decision to allow people into your social media. You must also make a conscious decision to open all social media knowing in most cases who they are from. So if you are being cyber bullied it is because you allow it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:25:24 PM
At 7/15/2015 4:19:31 PM, sadolite wrote:

I am not placing blame. I am saying you must make a conscious decision to log onto the internet and make a conscious decision to allow people into your social media. You must also make a conscious decision to open all social media knowing in most cases who they are from. So if you are being cyber bullied it is because you allow it.

That's exactly what you're doing - placing blame.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TyroneShelton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 5:51:09 PM
He wasnt blaming the victim, he was saying that people should take more precaution and they could have prevented this. Could have stopped and caused are two different things. However I see how they can be equated to the same thing. Yes that is what he is saying, you got a problem with it, well that doesnt change reality.
Imagine there's no heaven
It isn't hard to do
No hell below us
Above us only sky

Imagine all the people
Livin' for today
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 11:04:03 AM

Blame the victim?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2015 1:44:04 PM
At 7/19/2015 11:04:03 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Blame the victim?

I already responded to this

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:28:08 PM
The reason why children are protected by their parents and by society is that they lack the judgement, experience, and mental facility to take care of themselves. "Mental facility" includes the basic capability of relating to consequences, which does not complete development until the 20s. Being isolated from classmates is often perceived as worse than being in the group and being bullied. So it's a real problem for parents and society.
DeuceKaboose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 2:19:49 AM
Cyber-bullying can be fought with some common sense, don't be an idiot with username and passwords, don't pick fights with the wrong people, and block or report people if all else fails

There is a part of the internet where you can buy illegal weapons (although i imagine most of those sites would be honeypots), sites where people can get cheese pizza, sites where people can sell peoples credentials and credit cards information, and even sites which can be used to hire Hitman (mind you all of these are darknet) There is also still lots of websites which are largely insecure and are a threat to those that go on them, Governments freely spy on internet users, and big Cable companies are trying to monopolize the internet as much as possible.

No, Cyber-bullying is not a problem, saying Cyber-bullying is a problem is like someone in medieval times during the black plague saying that clean parks are an issue.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 3:24:52 PM

For cyber bullying? Yeah. Unequivocally. You can hedge out your circle in cyber space. You can make yourself inaccessible if you so desire. The "bully" when using a wireless device, is literally in the palm of your hand.

There is a large difference between having a hot potato thrown at you, and you actively picking up said hot potato, literally carrying around said hot potato, and claiming that the hot potato is burning you and its not your fault while carrying it.

Drop the damn hot potato.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2015 4:58:02 PM
At 9/10/2015 3:24:52 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

For cyber bullying? Yeah. Unequivocally. You can hedge out your circle in cyber space. You can make yourself inaccessible if you so desire. The "bully" when using a wireless device, is literally in the palm of your hand.

There is a large difference between having a hot potato thrown at you, and you actively picking up said hot potato, literally carrying around said hot potato, and claiming that the hot potato is burning you and its not your fault while carrying it.

Drop the damn hot potato.

Then I should have this site months ago.

But I like the positives of the site, so I won't drop the damn hot potato.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
elatia.g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 2:22:20 PM
I like the idea of etiquette classes, since parents obviously can't be bothered to teach manners anymore. I'm not saying that kids weren't bullied back in the days when etiquette was taught, but I do think it was hidden a bit better.