Playstation Move

PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 12:41:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Is it worth the $99.99 CAD price tag?

I am considering buying it but would it be best to buy a navigation controller or a second motion controller?
Super Man does not come close to the power of Jesus Christ - GodSands
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 1:12:16 AM
I don't know much about it, but if its similar in any way to the xbox kinect, then sony will have to make specific games for it. It likely won't be well integrated in to the quality games that are released on to the Playstation 3.

I'm kind of talking out of my as$ since I am not well informed on the subject.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 10:47:36 AM
At 8/17/2010 6:02:54 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It looks like the Wii on steroids.

Indeed.

The Move has video camera abilities; the Wii doesn't. That means the Wii doesn't allow you to video chat or capture any images at all. The Move also has a built in microphone with voice recognition that allows you to chat with up to 6 people at a time -- the Wii nor Wiimote has a mic built in, and even if you buy a mic, only certain games are voice activated and make use of it. The actual Move controllers also dominate Wii controllers (even though the concept is a total rip-off) including with compatibility.

One review said it best -- "There are two words that will go over and over in your heads as you use the Move and that's 'precise' and 'exact' or colloquial variations thereof... It's everything the Wii just isn't any more. The nails are rather in the coffin of the Wii now that, particularly the Move, has arrived. It's reasonably good at executing your will on screen but the cursor has always been a touch laggy and slightly shaky as well. When Nintendo upgrades the system, doubtless the gameplay will improve as well but, right now, it's just a much older console... Move simply teaches it a lesson in precision, accuracy and gameplay excitement for the while "

http://www.pocket-lint.com...

The Wii wins in terms of price and accessories, but of course that's not a Move vs. Wii comparison but an overall Wii vs. Playstation 3 comparison -- which of course lies no contest (the PS3 wins for graphics and obviously Blu Ray amongst other things).
President of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 10:53:52 AM
I agree with L on this one on the purchasing. While I definitely think that the Move expands the gaming capabilities of the PS3, I also don't think I'd be willing to buy it until the price drops to around the price of a regular game. Also, I might be more inclined to get it if it was part of a bundle or something - the accessory, a couple games to go with it, that sort of thing.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 10:59:56 AM
i might try and talk my brothers into getting it. precision aside, the games would probably be a lot better for it anyway... nintendo was always a bit of a pvssy with the games it brought out.
signature
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 11:06:54 AM
As long as Nintendo has Mario and Zelda at its disposal, the PS3 really can't win. Add the fact that the price for the Move is in addition to all of the other costs of the PS3, while the Wii includes the Wiimote everywhere, using it as a standalone controller or with numerous accessories. There's also the Wii MotionPlus that everyone seems to be forgetting, although few games are compatible with it right now.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 11:53:38 AM
At 8/17/2010 10:47:36 AM, theLwerd wrote:
One review said it best -- "There are two words that will go over and over in your heads as you use the Move and that's 'precise' and 'exact' or colloquial variations thereof... It's everything the Wii just isn't any more. The nails are rather in the coffin of the Wii now that, particularly the Move, has arrived. It's reasonably good at executing your will on screen but the cursor has always been a touch laggy and slightly shaky as well. When Nintendo upgrades the system, doubtless the gameplay will improve as well but, right now, it's just a much older console... Move simply teaches it a lesson in precision, accuracy and gameplay excitement for the while "

http://www.pocket-lint.com...

I just read that review, and it's just about the worst review I've ever read. The picture for the Wii controllers make them look unnecessarily confusing; more is said about the accessories of the PS3 and 360, even though it's acknowledged that the Wii has more; the price of the Wii is only given in pounds (£160, actually $249), and based on eBay, despite the fact that Nintendo dropped the price to $199 well before the article was written; backwards compatability is dismissed completely, despite compatibility with GameCube controllers and games and the online Virtual Console; and no Wii games are mentioned at all./rant
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 6:35:44 PM
Wii is a value, family console and nintendo have some awesome franchises, but PS3 owns console gaming. They are both awesome, but completely different.

In the end, PC gaming owns EVERYTHING and the only reason I'd have a console is for certain franchises that are sony or nintendo exclusive.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 3:04:35 PM
At 8/18/2010 3:49:44 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Unless the Move comes with a game I'm not paying 100 euros\dollars\whatever.

Samesies.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 3:09:43 PM
At 8/17/2010 11:06:54 AM, mongeese wrote:
As long as Nintendo has Mario and Zelda at its disposal, the PS3 really can't win.

... LOL, right.

Two games don't make a console. The PS3 wins hands down as a console in general compared to Wii, which is pretty obvious to almost everyone. I guess children such as yourself still love Nintendo for the novelty of Zelda, but yeah. While I definitely miss Mario from old school Nintendo days, I'm not foolish enough to say that it makes the Wii superior in any way whatsoever. PS3 wins, and the Move wins over the Wii from almost every single review I've read. I still have no real desire to buy one though - especially at that price -_-
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 3:52:38 PM
At 8/18/2010 3:04:35 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/18/2010 3:49:44 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Unless the Move comes with a game I'm not paying 100 euros\dollars\whatever.

Samesies.

It's 60 euros here, and it comes with a Wii sports rip-off game. Probably better than Wii sports tho.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 9:16:38 PM
At 8/17/2010 6:35:44 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Wii is a value, family console and nintendo have some awesome franchises, but PS3 owns console gaming. They are both awesome, but completely different.

In the end, PC gaming owns EVERYTHING and the only reason I'd have a console is for certain franchises that are sony or nintendo exclusive.

PS3 vs. 360 is opinion based.

@LWerd.
PS3 might have more games and might not be "Childish" (Zelda's more amazing than any other adventure game I've ever played.) Also, PS3 fans can mock Nintendo as much as they want, Nintendo is still going to the bank happily whereas Sony still loses money every time a PS3 sells.

Who's the winner there?

OT: The Move is obviously a blatant rip off of the Wii and God I hope Sony can make it respond better, seeing as how it's been 4 years since the Wii came out.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 9:40:52 AM
At 8/18/2010 9:16:38 PM, zGodMode wrote:

@LWerd.
PS3 might have more games and might not be "Childish" (Zelda's more amazing than any other adventure game I've ever played.) Also, PS3 fans can mock Nintendo as much as they want, Nintendo is still going to the bank happily whereas Sony still loses money every time a PS3 sells.

Who's the winner there?
We are.

And by We, i mean, the customers.

We get the deals from Sony at their expense. We pay less for hardware that costs more. We get better games.

So yeah. Whos the winner there? Every person who buys a PS3, thats who.
OT: The Move is obviously a blatant rip off of the Wii and God I hope Sony can make it respond better, seeing as how it's been 4 years since the Wii came out.

The wii has only recently come out with its upgrade to the wiimote, the wiimotion plus. Before that, the wiimote was sluggish and its movement reader was extremely simplistic. The Move does more than the wiimote + wiimotion. Sorry.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 10:42:20 AM
At 8/19/2010 9:40:52 AM, tkubok wrote:

@LWerd.

Who's the winner there?
We are.

And by We, i mean, the customers.

We get the deals from Sony at their expense. We pay less for hardware that costs more. We get better games.

So yeah. Whos the winner there? Every person who buys a PS3, thats who.

The wii has only recently come out with its upgrade to the wiimote, the wiimotion plus. Before that, the wiimote was sluggish and its movement reader was extremely simplistic. The Move does more than the wiimote + wiimotion. Sorry.

I would prefer a Wii over a PS3 any day for games or motion controls, just my personal preference.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 10:58:20 AM
At 8/19/2010 10:42:20 AM, zGodMode wrote:
I would prefer a Wii over a PS3 any day for games or motion controls, just my personal preference.

Thats fine with me. But clearly you are wrong as to who wins and who loses. The customer, the only people that actually, uh, matter to most of us, wins more if we go by the PS3. Sorry, but this is just the truth.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 5:43:28 PM
At 8/19/2010 10:58:20 AM, tkubok wrote:

Thats fine with me. But clearly you are wrong as to who wins and who loses. The customer, the only people that actually, uh, matter to most of us, wins more if we go by the PS3. Sorry, but this is just the truth.

Wii is still cheaper, also I was expressing which company has been "winning" the rivalry.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 6:17:09 PM
At 8/19/2010 5:43:28 PM, zGodMode wrote:

Wii is still cheaper, also I was expressing which company has been "winning" the rivalry.

Guess what, i dont own Sony, so i dont care which company has been "Winning". And the only "wining" they are doing is through which is more profitable, and not necessary which is being sold more. And in that respect, Sony is winning the rivalry. Wii is still cheaper, yet more people buy PS3s than Wiis. Infact, i believe the sales figures for PS3 are probably double that of the Wii.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2010 6:45:28 PM
At 8/19/2010 6:17:09 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 8/19/2010 5:43:28 PM, zGodMode wrote:

Guess what, i dont own Sony, so i dont care which company has been "Winning". And the only "wining" they are doing is through which is more profitable, and not necessary which is being sold more. And in that respect, Sony is winning the rivalry. Wii is still cheaper, yet more people buy PS3s than Wiis. Infact, i believe the sales figures for PS3 are probably double that of the Wii.

you'd be wrong
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 8:37:03 AM

@LWerd.

Lol the PS3 is making a profit you numbnut and the only loss was on hardware, not software http://www.gamepolitics.com...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 8:44:54 AM
At 8/20/2010 8:37:03 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

@LWerd.

Lol the PS3 is making a profit you numbnut and the only loss was on hardware, not software http://www.gamepolitics.com...

When it first came out they were loosing quite a bit, due to the fact that the blu ray was still new and a normal blu ray player was 1k and the ps3 was selling for... $600 idr
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 9:02:25 AM
At 8/20/2010 8:44:54 AM, xxdarkxx wrote:
When it first came out they were loosing quite a bit, due to the fact that the blu ray was still new and a normal blu ray player was 1k and the ps3 was selling for... $600 idr

Yeah... isn't that blatantly in the PS3's favor? Even now a PS3 only costs about 250 whereas a Blu Ray player still costs around 400. The PS3 is not only a 2 for 1 deal but also super financially preferable for a customer who wants both.

Even if the Wii sold more units or made more money, a rational person would not see why that demonstrates the better console (appeal to majority much?). And as tkbok said - I really don't care whether or not Sony sees immense profit. If the best console is based on amenities, graphics, games, features, etc. then price is of course a factor but certainly not the only factor. Besides, it's very obvious that a Wii is slightly cheaper and doesn't have the Blu Ray which is a huge value (!!!) for the PS3 customer. More bang for your buck.

Back to the OP, the Move has gotten better reviews than the Wii, so not the Wii doesn't even have THAT over PS3. Again I love Nintendo - but PS3 is the better console.
President of DDO
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 5:54:41 PM
At 8/20/2010 9:02:25 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 8/20/2010 8:44:54 AM, xxdarkxx wrote:

Yeah... isn't that blatantly in the PS3's favor? Even now a PS3 only costs about 250 whereas a Blu Ray player still costs around 400. The PS3 is not only a 2 for 1 deal but also super financially preferable for a customer who wants both.

Even if the Wii sold more units or made more money, a rational person would not see why that demonstrates the better console (appeal to majority much?). And as tkbok said - I really don't care whether or not Sony sees immense profit. If the best console is based on amenities, graphics, games, features, etc. then price is of course a factor but certainly not the only factor. Besides, it's very obvious that a Wii is slightly cheaper and doesn't have the Blu Ray which is a huge value (!!!) for the PS3 customer. More bang for your buck.

Back to the OP, the Move has gotten better reviews than the Wii, so not the Wii doesn't even have THAT over PS3. Again I love Nintendo - but PS3 is the better console.

It's $350 for a PS3 and they still lose money for every console sold.

@Panda, I only said they lost money on every console sold. Which is hardware. Not software. I don't see the point of your statement.

@tkubok
http://en.wikipedia.org...
You switched Wii and PS3 around in that statement.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 5:59:02 PM

@LWerd.

Also in 2009 Sony posted a loss.
They've tightened up a lot on factories and such and it looks like they're going to be back on the profitable side, which is good, I dislike them (obviously) but without competition there's no reason for Microsoft to stop making shiit consoles.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 6:54:28 PM

@LWerd.

Don't most companies lose money on hardware at first anyway? Except Nintendo because their systems have always been comparatively cheaper than the competition, correct?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2010 1:59:25 PM
What's really annoying is when people compare the PS Move to only the Wiimote. The Wiimote plus the Wii MotionPlus can easily compare with the PS Move, and is still cheaper. And the idea that the PS3 has outsold the Wii is just about the saddest piece of misinformation I've ever heard.

http://en.wikipedia.org...