Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

REPOSTED: AV Security Suite Virus

tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 6:10:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/17/2010 6:02:17 PM, tvellalott wrote:
A friend of mine contacted me on monday night saying he needed my help with a computer problem (I'm the go-to guy for computer related problems, blah). He had gotten a computer virus.

WELL! He had the WORST virus I've ever seen.
AV Security Suite doesn't need require voluntary download and within hours completely infects all windows dynamic-link libraries (DLL files). It poses as a virus protection program and constantly pops up phoney virus and windows warnings. It will tell you that you need to upgrade to remove the viruses. Most virus protectors will not protect you and it will make it extremely difficult to install new programs.

I tried for many hours to fix the computer, including creating new admin accounts, deleting old accounts, running rFix, a program which stops the malware from running and scanning the computer three times with Malbyte Anti-Malware, which constantly turned up negative. Everytime I thought I'd got rid of it, it would pop up again.

I eventually had to back up all his stuff, format the hard-drive and install a fresh windows.

The root of his problem was very simple. His admin account didn't have a password, meaning the virus had no trouble computer hijacking all his system files.
ALWAYS put a password on your admin account.
A good virus protection program with up-to-date libraries will help, but I've since found out the AV Security Suite is just a GUI (Graphic User Interface) for one of the worlds most unstoppable trojans. One of my bosses (I call him the Guru) said Microsoft have a $500,000 bounty on this virus for anyone who can crack it. It probably comes from Russia, where (I quote) "all the cool, really dangerous sh1t comes from".

I posted this in the Science forum. Whoops...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
xxdarkxx
Posts: 3,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2010 10:42:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/17/2010 6:10:19 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 8/17/2010 6:02:17 PM, tvellalott wrote:
A friend of mine contacted me on monday night saying he needed my help with a computer problem (I'm the go-to guy for computer related problems, blah). He had gotten a computer virus.

WELL! He had the WORST virus I've ever seen.
AV Security Suite doesn't need require voluntary download and within hours completely infects all windows dynamic-link libraries (DLL files). It poses as a virus protection program and constantly pops up phoney virus and windows warnings. It will tell you that you need to upgrade to remove the viruses. Most virus protectors will not protect you and it will make it extremely difficult to install new programs.

I tried for many hours to fix the computer, including creating new admin accounts, deleting old accounts, running rFix, a program which stops the malware from running and scanning the computer three times with Malbyte Anti-Malware, which constantly turned up negative. Everytime I thought I'd got rid of it, it would pop up again.

I eventually had to back up all his stuff, format the hard-drive and install a fresh windows.

The root of his problem was very simple. His admin account didn't have a password, meaning the virus had no trouble computer hijacking all his system files.
ALWAYS put a password on your admin account.
A good virus protection program with up-to-date libraries will help, but I've since found out the AV Security Suite is just a GUI (Graphic User Interface) for one of the worlds most unstoppable trojans. One of my bosses (I call him the Guru) said Microsoft have a $500,000 bounty on this virus for anyone who can crack it. It probably comes from Russia, where (I quote) "all the cool, really dangerous sh1t comes from".

I posted this in the Science forum. Whoops...

ummm... or you could have booted the computer in safe mode, ran a virus sweep to find the main file that was causing the problems, delete it and then go back to a restore point.

actually... you probably could have just backed up to a restore point...
xxdarkxx
Posts: 3,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 12:26:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
yeah, it's kind of like what i got last week.

cept with mine, it prevented me from running programs (tried to at least) by saying that the file/program was corrupt and asked me if I wanted to run a sweep to clean it, in a pop up window... of course i just clicked away from that window and did nothing about it. But i just ran a scan to get rid of the main virus, then did a system restore and swept the rest of my computer, and everything was back to normal :D
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 12:36:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I got that same virus. The fix is quite simple; just do a system restore. However, it will try to prevent you from clicking it, so restart the computer and try clicking System Restore imediately before the virus has a chance to run. This should work.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
zGodMode
Posts: 825
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2010 9:18:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The only problem with your fix Dark is that if it has infected the .DLL's there's a good chance that the virus will be loaded in Safe Mode, so as was said, you just have to pray you can get System Restore up before the virus, which if its coded correctly could definitely be a pain.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2010 6:58:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Wow, that's funny. I had that exact virus (I'm pretty sure) about three weeks ago when I left my browser up at some torrent site. I'm pretty sure I had a password though. <_<
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2010 5:48:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've has the same on or a very similiar one, the weird thing is normally you have to click (or "fall for") their scam for it to work, but i always click out of it immedietely cause i know what it is. So it can infect you now without clicking on it or someone was just on my computer and clicked it, anyways i fought it for weeks, after i got that virus i also got one that actually played ads through my speakers which was annoying as hell. Anyways after weeks of trying to fix it my computer updated itself (it was either a system update, a spyware doctor update, or a windows defender update) that managed to fix itself, so my work ended up getting cut out for me. ha
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 5:49:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/27/2010 5:48:26 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
so my work ended up getting cut out for me. ha

naw. that would mean it was especially hard...

http://www.worldwidewords.org...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
iKaleb
Posts: 14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 4:26:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Fake Av programs. Ugh.
Anywho, I had a personal encounter with Virus Dr once, though I simply taskilled it, and sense it had not installed(it hijacked my browser from a website), I was safe.
As for someone who said they got the virus from a torrent site, I find that quite believable. Advertisements can carry viruses, and most sites can't control the ads. I've personally learned to never use torrents, malware authors love torrents.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 12:03:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/4/2010 4:26:13 PM, iKaleb wrote:
Fake Av programs. Ugh.
Anywho, I had a personal encounter with Virus Dr once, though I simply taskilled it, and sense it had not installed(it hijacked my browser from a website), I was safe.
As for someone who said they got the virus from a torrent site, I find that quite believable. Advertisements can carry viruses, and most sites can't control the ads. I've personally learned to never use torrents, malware authors love torrents.

WHAT!?! You never use torrents?!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 5:50:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/17/2010 6:10:19 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 8/17/2010 6:02:17 PM, tvellalott wrote:
A friend of mine contacted me on monday night saying he needed my help with a computer problem (I'm the go-to guy for computer related problems, blah). He had gotten a computer virus.

WELL! He had the WORST virus I've ever seen.
AV Security Suite doesn't need require voluntary download and within hours completely infects all windows dynamic-link libraries (DLL files). It poses as a virus protection program and constantly pops up phoney virus and windows warnings. It will tell you that you need to upgrade to remove the viruses. Most virus protectors will not protect you and it will make it extremely difficult to install new programs.

I tried for many hours to fix the computer, including creating new admin accounts, deleting old accounts, running rFix, a program which stops the malware from running and scanning the computer three times with Malbyte Anti-Malware, which constantly turned up negative. Everytime I thought I'd got rid of it, it would pop up again.

I eventually had to back up all his stuff, format the hard-drive and install a fresh windows.

The root of his problem was very simple. His admin account didn't have a password, meaning the virus had no trouble computer hijacking all his system files.
ALWAYS put a password on your admin account.
A good virus protection program with up-to-date libraries will help, but I've since found out the AV Security Suite is just a GUI (Graphic User Interface) for one of the worlds most unstoppable trojans. One of my bosses (I call him the Guru) said Microsoft have a $500,000 bounty on this virus for anyone who can crack it. It probably comes from Russia, where (I quote) "all the cool, really dangerous sh1t comes from".

I posted this in the Science forum. Whoops...

I replied in science, whoops. Use Malwarebyte's AntiMalware to get rid of the AV virus.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 7:11:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/7/2010 5:50:41 PM, Brendan21 wrote:
At 8/17/2010 6:10:19 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 8/17/2010 6:02:17 PM, tvellalott wrote:
A friend of mine contacted me on monday night saying he needed my help with a computer problem (I'm the go-to guy for computer related problems, blah). He had gotten a computer virus.

WELL! He had the WORST virus I've ever seen.
AV Security Suite doesn't need require voluntary download and within hours completely infects all windows dynamic-link libraries (DLL files). It poses as a virus protection program and constantly pops up phoney virus and windows warnings. It will tell you that you need to upgrade to remove the viruses. Most virus protectors will not protect you and it will make it extremely difficult to install new programs.

I tried for many hours to fix the computer, including creating new admin accounts, deleting old accounts, running rFix, a program which stops the malware from running and scanning the computer three times with Malbyte Anti-Malware, which constantly turned up negative. Everytime I thought I'd got rid of it, it would pop up again.

I eventually had to back up all his stuff, format the hard-drive and install a fresh windows.

The root of his problem was very simple. His admin account didn't have a password, meaning the virus had no trouble computer hijacking all his system files.
ALWAYS put a password on your admin account.
A good virus protection program with up-to-date libraries will help, but I've since found out the AV Security Suite is just a GUI (Graphic User Interface) for one of the worlds most unstoppable trojans. One of my bosses (I call him the Guru) said Microsoft have a $500,000 bounty on this virus for anyone who can crack it. It probably comes from Russia, where (I quote) "all the cool, really dangerous sh1t comes from".

I posted this in the Science forum. Whoops...

I replied in science, whoops. Use Malwarebyte's AntiMalware to get rid of the AV virus.

When my computer was infected, the infection just restored itself after running Malwarebyte's program. Just saying.
Brendan21
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 7:56:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/7/2010 7:11:03 PM, Denote wrote:
At 9/7/2010 5:50:41 PM, Brendan21 wrote:

I replied in science, whoops. Use Malwarebyte's AntiMalware to get rid of the AV virus.

When my computer was infected, the infection just restored itself after running Malwarebyte's program. Just saying.

Worked fine for me, I don't know.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2010 4:13:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Malwarebyte will only work up to a certain point. The virus can completely destroy your system, making it completely unusable.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...