Jump to topic:

Most appropriate game system

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 11:08:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've never really been able to get into video games. I just lose interest really quickly, but it could be that i just never played the right one. I once won a Sony Play Station in some sales contest, and gave it away (probably not the wisest thing i have done).

Christmas is coming and i am thinking of getting my partner a gaming console, but am unsure what would be the best one. I'm figuring it would be something we could both play. He's not huge on it either, but likes Mario brothers and stuff.

Any suggestions?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 11:10:38 AM
If he's into Mario and like games, you'll probably want a Wii. PS3 and 360 are "hard" gaming consoles, inasmuch as the sorts of games that one plays on those systems tend to be geared more toward veteran, hardcore gamers. The Wii is the most "light gamer/newbie friendly" of the three systems.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 11:11:29 AM
At 9/17/2010 11:08:39 AM, innomen wrote:
I once won a Sony Play Station in some sales contest, and gave it away (probably not the wisest thing

kfc
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 11:13:24 AM
Sounds like a Wii would probably be best for you. For good multiplayer games, I'd recommend Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:14:25 PM
You should be able to get the system for around $150, plus $35 for a 2nd controller+nunchuck, plus about $30~ each for the two games I mentioned. Altogether it should cost ~$250, if you're willing to buy used stuff.

: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:15:24 PM
I'd also highly recommend The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, although it isn't multiplayer.

badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:19:21 PM
i'd also go buy myself a normal controller for it too if i were you. playing with it's standard motion sensitive controller gets old fast.. but the games are good enough fun, though a bit childish.
signature
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:23:26 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:19:21 PM, badger wrote:
i'd also go buy myself a normal controller for it too if i were you. playing with it's standard motion sensitive controller gets old fast.. but the games are good enough fun, though a bit childish.

Eh, and make sure you get yourself those motion plus things.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:36:04 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:14:25 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
You should be able to get the system for around $150, plus $35 for a 2nd controller+nunchuck, plus about $30~ each for the two games I mentioned. Altogether it should cost ~$250, if you're willing to buy used stuff.

Wow. How much new? Kind of crappy putting a used game under the tree.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:54:26 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:36:04 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/17/2010 12:14:25 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

Wow. How much new? Kind of crappy putting a used game under the tree.

Should be around $325 for all of that new.

TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 2:48:42 PM
You're going to have to figure out several gaming tastes first; if you err to more competitive and fast-paced games, then FPS are for you (unless you abhor shooting games for some reason). As stated before, more family-friendly and interactive games are found predominately on the Wii. This isn't to say that PS3 and Xbox don't as well, it's just that Nintendo has been historically a larger and better supplier of such.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 2:56:19 PM
At 9/17/2010 2:48:42 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
You're going to have to figure out several gaming tastes first; if you err to more competitive and fast-paced games, then FPS are for you (unless you abhor shooting games for some reason). As stated before, more family-friendly and interactive games are found predominately on the Wii. This isn't to say that PS3 and Xbox don't as well, it's just that Nintendo has been historically a larger and better supplier of such.

I'd be more into strategic sorts of games if there are such, and not really caring too much about racing or shooting. Do these things hook into the internet?
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 2:59:43 PM
Wii is cheapest, and the best.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 3:05:29 PM
At 9/17/2010 2:56:19 PM, innomen wrote:
At 9/17/2010 2:48:42 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:

I'd be more into strategic sorts of games if there are such, and not really caring too much about racing or shooting. Do these things hook into the internet?

TBH, consoles don't have too many good strategic games. You're better of with PC games for that kind of thing.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 1:11:35 PM
So, here i go. I'm going to make a purchase on something about which i know nothing. TheL gave me some advice when i was first looking into this, but i have lost that information.

Wii
PS3
XBox360

Which will it be, and will we actually use this?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 1:29:34 PM
At 11/30/2010 1:11:35 PM, innomen wrote:
So, here i go. I'm going to make a purchase on something about which i know nothing. TheL gave me some advice when i was first looking into this, but i have lost that information.

Wii
PS3
XBox360

There is absolutely no reason for you not to get the PS3. First and foremost, the PS3 has a built in high quality Blu Ray DVD player. By itself, these cost more than the PS3, so the most logical thing for anyone to do who wants a Blu Ray DVD player anyway would be to buy the PS3 because then you get a high end gaming system as well.

Now at this point I'd ask why ANYONE would advocate getting the 360 or the Wii over the PS, and show you why it's irrelevant. First, the only people who like the Wii better are diehard Nintendo fans who need the Wii to play games like Zelda, Mario, etc. At first the cool motion sensor feature of the Wii made it somewhat unique, BUT, both Xbox and PS3 have come out with their respective versions of the same feature -- and BOTH have gotten better reviews than the Wii. Out of the 3, the PS3 version (known as the Move) got the best reviews. The PS3 Move allows you to play sports games, do exercises, get yoga games and videos, lots of exercise stuff, dance games, etc. It also has the best features and playability stuff; I can link you to one of my debates for more info but I'll move on :P

The only reason people would advocate getting a 360 is if you're a hardcore gamer. Some suggest the 360 has better "processing abilities" which just means it makes for a more intense experience if you're one of those die hard shooter fans. Also, certain games such as the very popular Halo are only available on Xbox. HOWEVER, if you don't play Halo (and I don't think you do -- it's basically a shooter game) then this isn't too important considering some games are only limited to the PS3 as well, such as God of War III, or one of my gf's very personal favorites - Infamous.

Now, the Wii is the cheapest of the systems (and rightfully so! they have NOTHING to boast in its favor except for being the Mario franchise and whatnot) -- it's about 50 bucks cheaper than the 360 and 100 bucks cheaper than the PS3. However, the PS3 more than makes up for itself in value. For instance, not only does it get better reviews in just about every area (games, graphics, etc.) but it comes with the things the Xbox forces you to buy separately, which makes it a FAR worse value. For instance with Xbox you have to pay like 50 bucks a year to play games online; with the PS3 online gaming is free (so right there it makes up for itself). Not to mention the 360 forces you to buy other amenities like the cooling kit, battery charger thing (all free with PS, etc.).

Ultimately I think PS would be your best bet, because of all the superior multimedia features it has which is probably what you would get out of a system the most. It has a whole bunch of USB ports and HDMI capabilities (it's very simple to beef up your electronic experience) and best of all a web browser so you can go online with your PS3, and even download or watch movies on your TV directly because of it. For instance we always use our PS3 to watch movies on Netflix. Overall, there's NOTHING in favor of the other systems -- the Wii only has price value which is MEH not really value at all considering the PS3's superiority, and the Xbox definitely can't compare. You said yourself you're not a die hard gamer, so going with a system specifically and only for its gaming qualities doesn't seem logical.

Any questions?!
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 1:37:08 PM
At 11/30/2010 1:29:34 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 11/30/2010 1:11:35 PM, innomen wrote:

Wii
PS3
XBox360

There is absolutely no reason for you not to get the PS3. First and foremost, the PS3 has a built in high quality Blu Ray DVD player. By itself, these cost more than the PS3, so the most logical thing for anyone to do who wants a Blu Ray DVD player anyway would be to buy the PS3 because then you get a high end gaming system as well.

Now at this point I'd ask why ANYONE would advocate getting the 360 or the Wii over the PS, and show you why it's irrelevant. First, the only people who like the Wii better are diehard Nintendo fans who need the Wii to play games like Zelda, Mario, etc. At first the cool motion sensor feature of the Wii made it somewhat unique, BUT, both Xbox and PS3 have come out with their respective versions of the same feature -- and BOTH have gotten better reviews than the Wii. Out of the 3, the PS3 version (known as the Move) got the best reviews. The PS3 Move allows you to play sports games, do exercises, get yoga games and videos, lots of exercise stuff, dance games, etc. It also has the best features and playability stuff; I can link you to one of my debates for more info but I'll move on :P

The only reason people would advocate getting a 360 is if you're a hardcore gamer. Some suggest the 360 has better "processing abilities" which just means it makes for a more intense experience if you're one of those die hard shooter fans. Also, certain games such as the very popular Halo are only available on Xbox. HOWEVER, if you don't play Halo (and I don't think you do -- it's basically a shooter game) then this isn't too important considering some games are only limited to the PS3 as well, such as God of War III, or one of my gf's very personal favorites - Infamous.

Now, the Wii is the cheapest of the systems (and rightfully so! they have NOTHING to boast in its favor except for being the Mario franchise and whatnot) -- it's about 50 bucks cheaper than the 360 and 100 bucks cheaper than the PS3. However, the PS3 more than makes up for itself in value. For instance, not only does it get better reviews in just about every area (games, graphics, etc.) but it comes with the things the Xbox forces you to buy separately, which makes it a FAR worse value. For instance with Xbox you have to pay like 50 bucks a year to play games online; with the PS3 online gaming is free (so right there it makes up for itself). Not to mention the 360 forces you to buy other amenities like the cooling kit, battery charger thing (all free with PS, etc.).

Ultimately I think PS would be your best bet, because of all the superior multimedia features it has which is probably what you would get out of a system the most. It has a whole bunch of USB ports and HDMI capabilities (it's very simple to beef up your electronic experience) and best of all a web browser so you can go online with your PS3, and even download or watch movies on your TV directly because of it. For instance we always use our PS3 to watch movies on Netflix. Overall, there's NOTHING in favor of the other systems -- the Wii only has price value which is MEH not really value at all considering the PS3's superiority, and the Xbox definitely can't compare. You said yourself you're not a die hard gamer, so going with a system specifically and only for its gaming qualities doesn't seem logical.

Any questions?!

Yikes. No thank you. If you're ever looking for a job in sales, I'll write a nice letter of recommendation.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 2:25:49 PM
My order of consoles ownership: Sega Mega Drive, Nintendo 64, PS, PS2, Gamecube, XBox, PS3, Wii. (The relevancy will become apparent shortly)

I'm as big a fan of PS3 as L and can't recommend it enough. However, I think she was a bit too critical of the Wii. Personally, I think the Wii is better for the casual gamer, despite the various inferiorities if you compare it to the PS3.
You can pick up Wii Sports Resort and play a few rounds of Golf or Bowling (I like Sword Play too) and turn it off.

As for the Move, well I don't know too much about it, but it doesn't seem like the type of gaming I want to be doing on the PS3.
I want to spend 10 straight hours playing Resident Evil 5, Prototype, Metal Gear Solid 4, GTA4 or God of War 3 on the PS3.

I suppose it all depends on the type of gamer you are.

PC > Consoles
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 2:35:23 PM
At 11/30/2010 2:25:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:
My order of consoles ownership: Sega Mega Drive, Nintendo 64, PS, PS2, Gamecube, XBox, PS3, Wii. (The relevancy will become apparent shortly)

I'm as big a fan of PS3 as L and can't recommend it enough. However, I think she was a bit too critical of the Wii. Personally, I think the Wii is better for the casual gamer, despite the various inferiorities if you compare it to the PS3.
You can pick up Wii Sports Resort and play a few rounds of Golf or Bowling (I like Sword Play too) and turn it off.

As for the Move, well I don't know too much about it, but it doesn't seem like the type of gaming I want to be doing on the PS3.
I want to spend 10 straight hours playing Resident Evil 5, Prototype, Metal Gear Solid 4, GTA4 or God of War 3 on the PS3.

PC > Consoles

Are you crazy?!?! 10 straight hours? That's like a whole day gone!?!?! Seriously?!?!? That's just not right.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 3:41:26 PM
At 11/30/2010 2:35:23 PM, innomen wrote:
Are you crazy?!?! 10 straight hours? That's like a whole day gone!?!?! Seriously?!?!? That's just not right.

I'd be very surprised if anyone who considers themself even a moderately serious gamer hasn't had a 10 hour session... Those games I mentioned (Add Fallout 3 to the list) are all very engrossing, epic, enjoyable games.
MGS4 has 1/2 hour long cut scenes. o.O;
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 8:14:39 PM

Man, this is going to sound lame to about 99% of people on DDO... but I played God of War III for 19 hours straight. I then passed out for 5 hours. And played another 11 hours. Definitely my laziest weekend ever but I had a lot of fun! Such an awesome game.

The amount of time I spend playing video games would be considered unhealthy. ^_^

PC > Consoles

Liar.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
applesnack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 8:24:55 PM
At 11/30/2010 8:14:39 PM, annhasle wrote:
PC > Consoles

Liar.

Well, in the strictest sense, consoles are PC's - just locked down with a special operating system that doesn't let you do anything else.
With the right adapters, your PC can plug into your TV (most flat panels have a VGA input build in anyway) and you can pretty easily set it up to use a controller. After that, you basically get a console with games that are a generation ahead (http://goo.gl...) and a lot more customizability and functionality in general.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 12:15:33 AM
Why Wii is better. Wii sex ------>
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 2:05:53 PM

PC > Consoles

On the PS3, is it worth it to get the higher GB? 160, 250 or 320?

This looks more like what i am looking for: http://www.amazon.com...
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 2:57:04 PM
At 11/30/2010 1:29:34 PM, theLwerd wrote:

It's been proven that the 360 has better processing capabilities. The ps3 can rarely hit 60 fps (if i remember the number right)

Some day play black ops on the ps3 and then play it on the 360 right after. The difference is massive.

(but make sure you play on a monitor with an hdmi cable for both)
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 2:59:40 PM
At 12/1/2010 2:05:53 PM, innomen wrote:

PC > Consoles

On the PS3, is it worth it to get the higher GB? 160, 250 or 320?

This looks more like what i am looking for: http://www.amazon.com...

It's a necessity to get the higher GB version.

You will run out of space faster than you think.

And going back to the 10 hour session... 10 hours really isn't that much.

When kingdom hearts II came out I rented it and beat it over the course of one weekend. I basically played for 3 days straight just to beat it in time of my rental.

And when I got mw2 I played for probably about 14 straight hours.

When cataclysm comes out i'm also going to have a very long gaming session.