Jump to topic:

20 dollar laptop and Linux

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 8:32:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I just got an IBM Thinkpad 570 off ebay for 20 bucks and its on its way-- it has no OS, and no CD drive. Anyone have any good experiences with installing light versions of linux from a flash drive in the BIOS and advice for what I should toss in with it? As it stands Ubuntu Lite looks like the plan.

If it doesn't work out, oh well, there goes 20 bucks. But I figured I'd try it and see if anyone knew anything. ^_^
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 5:30:08 PM
Use This . . .
http://www.ubuntu.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 9:01:39 PM
At 10/6/2010 5:30:08 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Use This . . .
http://www.ubuntu.com...

The plan as it stands is a version of that-- specifically tuned for crappy comps. :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 9:03:02 PM
and I don't meet the system requirements for the standard version :P
https://help.ubuntu.com...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 4:29:28 AM
At 10/6/2010 9:03:02 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
and I don't meet the system requirements for the standard version :P
https://help.ubuntu.com...

Try Tiny Sh!t Linux
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 10:28:00 PM
At 10/5/2010 8:32:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I just got an IBM Thinkpad 570 off ebay for 20 bucks and its on its way-- it has no OS, and no CD drive. Anyone have any good experiences with installing light versions of linux from a flash drive in the BIOS and advice for what I should toss in with it? As it stands Ubuntu Lite looks like the plan.

If it doesn't work out, oh well, there goes 20 bucks. But I figured I'd try it and see if anyone knew anything. ^_^

Lol! Hey ranger, I'll give you some magical beans for a cow. If they don't work, so what? At least you learned something.
kfc
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 10:43:51 PM
At 10/14/2010 10:28:00 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 10/5/2010 8:32:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Lol! Hey ranger, I'll give you some magical beans for a cow. If they don't work, so what? At least you learned something.

I already know beans aint magic. specially ones sold by a lolling kfc troll.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 11:48:26 PM
This post posted from Puppy Linux, booted from CD, while it installs to the USB drive.

should be able to try it on the target laptop next friday.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 11:59:12 PM
and this one made booted from USB. ^_^.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 6:57:45 AM
Sweet.

When'd the plan change to Puppy Linux? I've heard it's one of the best for old systems, and I'm not a fan of *buntu, so I'm not criticizing, just wondering.

While you'll be able to do very basic internetting, don't expect any flash to play at reasonable speeds, including YouTube. A computer that old in this day and age is good for essentially reading text, playing music, looking at images. I suppose if you play some ancient games, you could also play those well enough. Many DOS games will probably run well in DOSBox, but that's about as good as it'll get.

I suppose it might be interesting to see if/how well Google Docs runs. While your hard drive is probably so small that installing OpenOffice would be unwise, if Google Docs runs suitably well you could also do some productivity stuff, as it doesn't store itself on your computer.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 9:11:01 AM
At 10/15/2010 6:57:45 AM, omelet wrote:
Sweet.

When'd the plan change to Puppy Linux?
When the instructions for installing it to a usb drive were a lot more specific and seemed to have more backup plans, and the specs looked competitive with U-lite.

I suppose it might be interesting to see if/how well Google Docs runs. While your hard drive is probably so small that installing OpenOffice would be unwise
6 gigs the thing has, and the USB has 2 I think. :P

I kinda figure flash is unlikely. Worth seeing though.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2010 12:19:49 AM
hmm, BIOS doesn't seem to know how to boot from USB...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2010 12:31:14 AM
there seems to be something called a network boot option on it though. can't network it with ethernet, it has usb port and dialup port.

Curious whether either of those are likely to work.
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2010 9:16:45 AM
At 10/24/2010 12:31:14 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
there seems to be something called a network boot option on it though. can't network it with ethernet, it has usb port and dialup port.

Does it not have an Ethernet port? I'm surprised that it wouldn't. I actually was under the impression that that was the only way to do a network boot, since I don't think you can dial-up to the internet before booting.

Heck, it might even be a different type of network boot than I'm familiar with. What does it say after you try telling it to do a network boot?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2010 10:28:45 AM

Do you have a router? If so, you can plug a USB cable to the router and connect it to the computer.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:06:04 PM
At 10/24/2010 9:16:45 AM, beem0r wrote:

Does it not have an Ethernet port? I'm surprised that it wouldn't. I actually was under the impression that that was the only way to do a network boot, since I don't think you can dial-up to the internet before booting.

Heck, it might even be a different type of network boot than I'm familiar with. What does it say after you try telling it to do a network boot?

It doesn't. I can't tell it to boot, only set boot priorities.

I do not have a router.

I plugged usb cable in to both comps, no response. can't seem to find a blinkin phone cord.
Network boot is a PXE boot if that means anything to ya.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 3:10:02 PM
woah, found a phone cord. lets see here...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 7:33:15 PM
Wireless/Ethernet Cards . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2010 8:08:11 PM
At 10/25/2010 7:33:15 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

There is no way the BIOS here can read wifi. Ethernet card might be worth a try though.

(It has a dialup card on it right now, so it effectively has two phone ports :P.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 4:23:07 AM
At 10/25/2010 8:08:11 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 10/25/2010 7:33:15 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

There is no way the BIOS here can read wifi. Ethernet card might be worth a try though.

(It has a dialup card on it right now, so it effectively has two phone ports :P.

Then use Ethernet for at least it wont take a century and a half to receive updates for linux.
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 7:08:59 PM
lolupdates. I still have to get linux itself on the machine.

won an auction on an ethernet card for 3.50 with free shipping, should be arriving fridayish/
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 7:35:43 PM
At 10/26/2010 7:08:59 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
lolupdates. I still have to get linux itself on the machine.

won an auction on an ethernet card for 3.50 with free shipping, should be arriving fridayish/

Hmmm . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 8:28:18 PM
The server software doesn't seem to like being disconnected from the internet., and my desktop only has one ethernet port.

That said, since the ethernet card has lights, and doesn't light when connected and on... I'm thinking maybe it can't even be recognized without abios.

I might need to try to learn how to take the hard drive out of the laptop. :P
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 8:30:24 PM
I'm thinking maybe it can't even be recognized without an os.

obviously it has a bios. ^_
beem0r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2010 10:58:29 PM
At 10/30/2010 8:28:18 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The server software doesn't seem to like being disconnected from the internet., and my desktop only has one ethernet port.

That said, since the ethernet card has lights, and doesn't light when connected and on... I'm thinking maybe it can't even be recognized without abios.

What'd you connect it to, a router, or directly to your real computer (I assume that's where you're running the server)?

If the latter, then you probably don't have the right type of ethernet cable. Computers used to require a different cable for connecting directly to other computers rather than connecting to routers, hubs, etc.

Does your router only have one ethernet port? If it has more than one, you can connect both computers to it, and they will still be able to see each other.

If the card has two different lights and neither of them is on, then the card probably just doesn't work, since one of them would just be a power light, and it should at least have power (even if the bios doesn't recognize it, I think).
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2010 9:31:13 AM
At 10/30/2010 10:58:29 PM, beem0r wrote:
At 10/30/2010 8:28:18 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

What'd you connect it to, a router, or directly to your real computer (I assume that's where you're running the server)?
Directly to computer.
I don't have a router.
I also tried connecting it to same wall jack computer is connected to, just in case.

If the latter, then you probably don't have the right type of ethernet cable. Computers used to require a different cable for connecting directly to other computers rather than connecting to routers, hubs, etc.
???

If the card has two different lights and neither of them is on
This is the case.

then the card probably just doesn't work, since one of them would just be a power light, and it should at least have power (even if the bios doesn't recognize it, I think).
I don't think that's it. One of the lights is labelled 10 mb and the other is labelled 100 mb. Uplink/downlink you know, or maybe it's other way around.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 11:26:16 PM
I managed to hook up the hard drive and install Puppy on it. Several times. My tower was able to boot from the hard drive.

I stuck it in the laptop and was all woohoo when I saw the puppy logo on the screen.

Then it had errors where it was losing track of the files during boot, so I couldn't get to a desktop environment. Tried a few fixes, none of em did anything.

So now I'm installing U-lite on it to see if that'll work. Installation takes forever so posting this from U-lite on tower :P.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2010 7:23:15 PM
I want to get a Linux laptop so I can hack wireless network keys. I have this great program but it doesn't work very well on Windows.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...